Posts by Lokasenna

As it happens, I just finished picking up all the parts to do this very mod while we were at the mall today. So, without any further ado, I give you...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…CB%20External%20Jacks.jpg

...a really shitty hack job. But hey, it works. And it works pretty fucking well, too. The FCB's pedals are way too stiff and the wah, particularly, always felt like the sound was lagging behind my foot movement. Now I've got my two Mission pedals (SP-1 and an EP-1 with the spring-loaded option, which rules) plugged in, and the difference is phenomenal. I don't know why Behringer didn't think to just make the unit smaller and add two more jacks.

If you do this on yours, the only issue I ran into was getting the wires sorted out. I got all of a) the FCB shutting itself off or making a buzz, b) the pedal working but backwards, and c) the pedal working properly while I was fiddling with them, but it's not going to kill the unit if you get them wrong. I'll try to remember to ID everything when I get the chassis drilled out and go back to attach everything properly... I *think* the red wire in each set coming from the board goes to the Ring, but I'm not sure.

You could try contacting them and asking if it's possible to set up two-way communication with the Kemper. I imagine it must be possible, since they make the U4K chip too.

I've got a profile on my KPA, I think it's one of the factory ones, called Smashing Fuzz. It doesn't say what hardware was profiled, but it sounds reasonably close to the video to my ears. I'm fiddling around with distortion stomps and different cabs right now, sounds decent.

Edit: Another suggestion - try finding a similar tone and turning the amp's Definition all the way to zero, maybe the Clarity and Pick knobs too.

if you connect an exp pedal directly to the KPA, you should be able to go into the System menu and assign it to control Gain.

Expression pedals connected directly to the Kemper can only be set to Volume, Wah, Pitch, and Monitor Volume. A MIDI expression pedal, like on a stock FCB, can be set to send any parameter you choose, which is what that list from Wiki is for.

However, you could set a Volume pedal's location to either Pre-Stomps or Post-Stomps, and it would adjust the gain just like turning down your guitar's volume knob.

You guys know that a pitch-shifter needs a certain amount of time to figure out what you're playing, right? I doubt you're going to find anything significantly faster than what the KPA currently does.

Interesting.

I find myself using the Treble and Presence together to adjust the high-end tone - if I want it a little brighter, I turn the Presence up and the Treble down to compensate a bit, and if a rig is too bright I do the opposite. To my ears, the Treble knob is working mostly in the 500-10k range, and the Presence at perhaps 5k and up.

Advantages:
    - Works as soon as you install the chip, no fiddling around to set it up.
    - Two-way communication with the Kemper, so the stomp buttons will light up to match the stomps you have active, and the patch number display works like a tuning pedal when you're in Tuner mode.

Disadvantages:
    - You're stuck with only a couple of different options for configuring the board, whereas the stock FCB (or the plain Uno chip) will let you do anything under the sun.
    - The FCB's expression pedals aren't the greatest. They work alright, but they feel cheap.

As for #2, sadly no. You're stuck with those two. I don't think an external pedal can control the other settings, like gain or delay mix, but you could do it with another MIDI board. If it helps, the Volume pedal can be set before the amp, which will make it act like turning your guitar's knob down for cleaning up the sound.