Posts by Jevo

I've been trying out the Kemper through tube poweramp+cabinet. Last saturday I play the first gig of the tour with it and i think i will do for the rest.

Here there are some conclusions:

- A typical profile (profiled with the preamp+poweramp+cab+mic): CAB OFF - Sounds good but not great. The Kemper is 'removing' the cabinet artificially.
    -
    Profiling just the preamp section of an amp (through FX LOOP SEND) -
    Sounds great, both CAB ON and CAB OFF, just a matter of taste.

I
    wish everybody who profile the miced amp would profile the preamp
    output, it is very easy to do and very useful for people who use kemper live
    with poweramp + cab. I did it myself with some Engl amps I profiled and uploaded to the comunit
    y.

- Another important thing I must say about this is that when using kemper+ tube poweramp + cabinet there is not big difference in sound between the amps. Tube poweramp and cabinet is 70% of the tone, so don't expect huge differences lets say, between an Diezel and a Bogner.
    - The good thing of the kemper is that you have multiple options to edit a tone, so you can always tweak it until you get your final tone.
    - Effects are much better than I had expected.
    - MIDI board works great in performance mode, but I notice and listen the change of program.

My 2 cents.

Jevo

1. Technically what does the kemper to switch off a cabinet if the rig has been profiled with it?

2. I've done my first profile and I've notice the profiled rig has one Booster On. Did the kemper activate this automatically because it thinks I had a stompbox in my real rig? (due to gain aount or what?)

3. When I did the profile, in profile mode the A/B was identical, i coulnd't difference between the real and the cloned tone. But when I switched to Browse mode I noticed more bass and a bit different tone, I turned off the cabinet cause I had the kemper conected to my powerstage of the amp, but still a bit different. Is this normal?

4. I profiled the preamp signal of the my Engl Savage too, instead of micing the cab I sent the amp's preamp's signal back to the Kemper through the FXLoop Send output. Is this better than micing and then turning off the Cab?.

Finally I purchased th rack kemper. I pluged it to my Engl Savage head in the FX Loop return and it works great. Awesome sound, and the profile I made of my amp sounds exactly as the real deal.
    I must say that tubeamp + cabinet colours the tone, not in a bad way, but the pity is that most of the profiles sound similar... I mean, the poweramp and the cabinet influence A LOT in the tone. So you can get a great tone but not a good myriad of tones and amps.

All this being said, running your rig like a guitar amp as you describe bypasses one of the great features of the Kemper. When you run it through FRFR monitors, and send a direct feed to the front of house sound system, your sound will be the same from your monitors and the front of house. I feel you have more control over the way your guitar sounds to the audience. Running it as a standard guitar amp, having it mic'd to feed the front of house, what you hear on stage will be quite different than what the audience will hear. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

My idea is to send direct feed to the FOH and listen through the stage monitors but also have the cabinet somewhere behind me. So I'm a bit dispointed about being so different tone between the direct send and the cabinet tone cause if I have a great tone in the cabinet it won't be so great in the direct signal and viceversa... that could be a problem in the rehearsals cause I only use the cabinet to monitor my sound.

I'm more stage guy than studio. So I'd use it mainly in lve situations
    I own an Engl Savage and I probably will switch to Kemper, I play in venues of 500 to 5.000 and even some festivals and I'm used to have my cab behind me apart from the monitors.

My rig would be like this:

Kemper + Poweramp + Cab (Engl Pro w/ V30)

1. After reading comments on internet, it seems that most of the people uses it with FR monitors, is it suitable to play it through a guitar cabinet?
    2. Which poweramp would be suitable, Solid State or Tubes?
    3. How good is the built-in poweramp of the rack? Or better get a Matrix?
    4. SS poweramps (like the one built in) have 600Watts but my cabinet is only 240W Max. How can I manage this problem?
    5. I know there is a Cab OFF button which must be off when using with a cabinet, but how the hell can be turned off if the tone have been profiled with the cabinet?? Witchery? Shall I get better results with just preamp profiles?