Posts by sambrox

Still curios why people are so defensive in favor of the current model. These types of systems that take advantage of creatives remain in place because we allow them to. Not because they need to. I don't understand why individuals consistently operate from a place of unworthiness. This idea that if we demand meaningful change to institutions such as streaming, or any free distribution models, our overlords will somehow effectively punish us. Demand something better. You're worth it. Your work is worth it.

You're talking about copyrighting the force a screwdriver has on a screw. An amp is a tool. In and of itself, it is useless. The sound it makes is useless, unless there's someone to utilise it. In the screwdriver analogy, sure, the design of the screwdriver might be copyrightable, but not the outcome of the screw being turned, at least not by the manufacturer (some mad genius handy man might invent some new way to fix a screw in a wall that he might copyright, but I digress). And as for Kemper being threatened by someone reverse engineering their stuff, including DRM and killing it by making deals with manufacturers, when in history has paid ever won over free? A recent example is TH-U. It can apparently convert Kemper profiles for use in the plugin. Unfortunately, only Overloud have the technology to convert them and they charge a fee for all profiles. Even though the plugin is a fraction of the Kemper price, I doubt that it has impacted on Kemper's sales one bit.

Likening DRM in the Kemper for something that isn't actually copyrightable to the shitty deals that streaming services give out to artists isn't appropriate, in my opinion. This is a completely different argument and potentially sends us down a dark path of litigation hell.

Patent expiration. Not to mention the Marshall circuit and damn near every amp you've ever played is basically a clone of the Fender circuit.

This gets bandied around a lot. It's true. No laws were infringed. As it happens, none are in the way Kemper operates, either. DRM is sure to open up that can of worms, however. I'd leave it be and give up the few hundred bucks I'd make from selling my amp profiles for a world where a few lawyers make a little less. Don't share your profiles and be happy :)

Ironically, Kemper making a DRM system could make them complicit in any cases against profile sellers by amp manufacturers, if they change copyright law to allow the sound produced by a circuit to be copyrighted, which is so absurd that it could possibly happen in the world of today.

It’s funny that you demand a DRM system be put in place on the background of an amp you built on the back of someone else’s circuit. You wouldn’t be in a position to demand this if it wasn’t for the free sharing of schematics on the Internet.

Turn up Space in the output menu? Make sure that the checkbox “headphones only” isn’t checked, unless you’re monitoring through headphones.

The Kemper chorus is obviously stereo, while the CE2 example is mono, but listening to them both with my monitors set to mono, they're actually pretty close.

If Kemp added some classic Boss chorus in there, it would be the be all end all. I love all the Boss choruses...CE1,CE2 and Dimension. Wish we could get those in there. I'd pay for a package with that trio of choruses.

The Vintage Chorus in the Kemper is modelled on the CE1. I’m not experienced with the real pedal (not a fan of chorus myself), but I had to use chorus on a studio session gig I had a while back, and the engineer set it up like his old CE1 and was very pleased. Make of that what you will :)

Are Dawman still active? It seems they have only a small selection in the online shop. I can not find any non pointed shredline picks?!

They generally only take custom orders, though every now and again they have "stock" picks that are available in the web shop. Email them, they'd be happy to help you, I'm sure :)

I switched to Dawman picks back when there was a looong thread on the topic. Best picks in my experience! I’d never have thought I’d go for 3mm picks, but they’re wonderful, my favourites being the 2020 pointed shredline standard with polished finish.

Having to build a single preset and try to incorporate scenes/snapshots was what finally killed the Helix for me, in the time I had one. I hate having to strategise my sound with regards to gigs; I want to just find sounds that work and not have to think about workarounds.

I got the impression spacing would be tighter than the Kemper Remote but similar to something like the HX-FX and probably quite a bit wider than those Boss 500 series things with 3 foot switches on a pedal that is 5 and a bit inches wide.

The remote was also slightly too cramped for my plates of meat, which is why I got a Stage.

Another issue is that the Quad foot switches seem way too close together.

This is my main reason for not getting a QC. I'd never be able to use it in a live setting, so therefore I may as well stick to their plugins, if need be.

The Green Scream and the Kemper Drive have identical circuits, when Definition, Slim Down and Tone is set accordingly.

Here is a wav of a loop set to input, with me toggling between the KD 808 Mid preset and the Green Scream set up as the corresponding diagram of the real pedal. Both Stomp levels are at 0.0

I start off by switching between them every time the loop loops, but at the end much more frequently. The differences are subtle, but I can definitely hear a more nasal, mid-focused sound on the Green Scream, whereas the KD has a more open top end.