Posts by danniee

Appreciate the replies!

When you say "A Marshall YJM 100 with a new cab is not a real YJM any more." Does the amp itself change too? I understand that the whole sound is affected but the amp will still be the amp but coming through two blended cabs?

Thank you for the reply. So it means the TillS cab will blend with the original cab used to profile thus not making it sound like something different from just the stock 1960A?

I am on the lookout for a Marshall YJM100 (preferably recorded with a Marshall 1960A cab). I've tried the one by WPROM001 in the free rig exchange and while it is great I still want to try others.

Also, what does it mean that in the above mentioned profile he is using TillS Marshall cab. Did the profiler only profile the amp without a cab and just paired it with TillS profiled cab? Would that still give a realistic sound unique to that setup (hope you know what I mean).

Agreed on the proper tagging of profiles.
    But when you said 'one day for real I had to chuckle. ;)
    I think in a few years time 'real' amps will be an anachronism.

I agree with you. In the future we might have to re-evaluate what a "real" amp is, but then again maybe not. No one knows so it's better to be safe than sorry lol. The Kemper is definitely here to stay though so no arguing in that but for many of us and me included we are old fashioned and dream of a Modded Marshall amp and a 1960A cab, that's just the way it is. I think the profilers and Kemper too has a lot to win in being more specific and professional in this, not just throwing profiles around and mixing them until no one knows what is what. To me it matters a lot to have that control. For me personally it is a question of credability since I am also into mixing, engineering and producing. I don't like to be like "uuuhh, I used this Kemper profile but I've lost it and I have no idea anyways what kind of rig it was. I know it was a Marshall JCM 800 but dunno if it was modded or what cab was used".

Anyways, I think you all understand. If it's not too much trouble I would ask you profilers so KINDLY to be more specific. You are all doing an amazing job and I love this machine to death but it sucks to be honest not knowing what "gear" I am using.

Alright, I was just trying to get my point across. I think it is very important for me to know what I am being creative with. In a few years I want to be able to go back maybe and talk about my album and what gear I used, maybe even try to recreate it with real gear on stage. For me personally my goal is always to one day recreate it with real gear. Kemper is a wonderful tool for me to record with and discover new tones which would be impossible "physically" but my goal is always to one day do it "for real" and if I don't have all the info it would be impossible. I think the information in the profiles is lacking a lot. There's also a feeling that the creators are trying to use the title as main info like "JCM800257Lo2"...many of us will be like...wtf? And then you press the Stack button to see whats up and there's no info just like JCM 800, 4x12...ok?? I have no idea what I am playing. I like to have more control. I have even contacted some authors of profiles and they don't know either...they'll be like "oh I forgot...I think I used a xx but I'm not sure". In my opinion that's not very professional. I'm sorry but I am just speaking the thruth. Let's not waste this wonderful product with being sloppy. It deserves the very best!

A lot of amazing profiles out there! I'm trying to find something unique to my tone and my goal is to ultimately recreate it with a "real" rig on stage. But all too often the profiles are lacking proper information about the rig and sound. Many don't even say what cab is being used, they'll just say oh it's a 4x12...ooook?? To me it matters a hell of a lot and I think probably many of us are gearsluts too.

Why can't you be more specific? It doesn't take too much or does it?

Amp: Marshall JCM800 2203 100W
    Mod: None
    Cab: Marshall 1960A Celestion G12T
    Microphones: SM57 (I don't know if distance from cab matters when profiling but that would be interesting too)

If the issue disappears when you touch the strings, the bridge, the headstocks... It's a matter of grounding/shielding.
    Does the noise go away when you deselect the PU?

You mean by switching to the neck single coil? No. So grounding/shielding noise is something different from pickup humming?

I just found this video on Youtube and it's the same there, so maybe everything is how it's supposed to be? I'm talking about the noise coming from the amp when not playing and when not holding my hand on the strings.
    My guitar is a MIJ 50's Fender Stratocaster 1996. What kind of stock pots would be in that one? It's a SH-4 installed in the bridge. I have no idea if everything is correct. I'm just worried that I one day would find out that I've been playing on a faulty installed SH-4. I guess I'm asking you guys to listen to my clip and let me know if it sounds alright :)

I have this MIJ Fender 50's with a SD SH-4 installed in the bridge. I'm beginning to wonder if the humbucker is buzzing too much, if they messed something up during the installation? I have no real reference so I don't know how quiet it is supposed to be. Also, how would I know if they've installed 250K or 500K pots? They never asked me and I knew nothing about it since I'm not that technical, just a simple guitar player. When you buy a SD SH-4 does the some sort of standard pot come with the package? I play punkrock so I would want as much output as possible I guess. When I play my standard Fender with single coils I feel as if it is a bit louder almost even though not nearly as "fat" of course. The SH-4 sounds kind of dark and thick and trebly. Also the P90 does sound more powerful too gainwise. The Gibson P90 is buzzing/humming a lot less.

Here's a clip of the buzzing https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahj3zpzk67cjfno/test.mp3?dl=0

The meter I am talking about are the two showing on the far right if you look at this image. I know the left one show the input signal and the right one is master. It's the input signal that will clip and hit red so the signal from the kemper is too hot I'm guessing, which is strange since master output vol is set at -21dB.
    [Blocked Image: http://musicproductiontips.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/19-tempo-track-on.png]

I have connected the Kemper from the monitor output going into the soundcard.

I agree with you. The reason I felt I needed to start this thread was probably because I had no real reference. I imagined a sound in my head and I expected it to sound like that. The track I posted was recorded in Cubase playing through the Kemper. All I did was clone the recorded track and pan them hard L and R. No other tweaking. Just used the profile out of the box as it were. I can't remember if I bought this particular profile but it is likely since I bought most of the ones I use.

Input signal - I guess you mean the meter on the TRACK you are recording, right?

No, you shouldn't have to have input monitoring engaged, normally. But it depends - which audio interface do you use? I.e. how is your KPA hooked up to the computer?

Cubase have two main faders that I know of. Input signal and master volume. The input signal will be clipping if I don't turn down the volume on the Kemper from say 12 o clock to about 8 o clock. I use M-Audio Delta and my Kemper is connected with audio cables to the soundcard input.