Posts by danniee

I was wondering if there is any way to see what's the difference between all the cab profiles by Till's. All I see is "Till's 1960 038" and so on. Is it only mic position that is different? Different 1960 cab? (A or B), different settings? Anyone know?

I would like to have a Blackstar HT Stage100 amp and HTV-412 Cab (or any 412 Blackstar cab that sounds similar to a Marshall 1960).

Anyone know where I can find a profile like this?

Oh, so it's usually only the bass, mids, treble that is tweaked in order to make that particular profile sound better with the particular guitar? It seems to be the case here :)

So if I use this profiled JCM800 Hot Mod and change the cab to Till's 1960B Marshall it would at least sound somewhere in the ballpark to what that setup would sound like with the real gear? Or will the 1960 Marshall be colored by the cab used when profiling the JCM800 Hot Mod?

Thank you again.

Ok, thank you so much for the answers. I think I understand. You live and you learn.

I have another questions as I still try to understand how this wonderful machine works (and I am not profiling myself so I don't know how it works).

In one profile pack with a JCM800 Hot Mod, it doesn't seem to say anywhere what cab is used with the JCM800 head. In the profile info on the Kemper it just says cab: JCM800 Hot mod. Either way, can I change the cab to let's say Till's 1960A and it would sound natural?

In the info file it says there is compression and so on. Can I turn this of and just have the raw sound? I have no idea how.

There are separate profiles for ST, LP and so on. Does that mean that the profiles are colored by which guitar you used when profiling? So it would sound unnatural if I used a ST with the LP-JCM800? I thought only head and mics where used when profiling?

All I want really is a head and cab and plug in my LPJ or Strat and have it sound as close as possible to what it would sound like if I owned the real deal :)

I hope you can help me with these questions. Thank you!

Looking for a simple/standard Marshall rig if you can call it that.

Marshall JVM 800/900/1987 with a 1960 Cab (recorded with a SM57 and MD421 would be awesome).

Does anyone know where I can find this setup as a profile? I looked at the amp factory but could fine none.

This comparison by definition is bound to fail like I said above.
    You're actually comparing an amp that you listen to off axis incl. room reflections (i.e. amp in the room) with the profile of a amp that was close- miced. This will definitely sound different with a lot more high frequency content that's the latter.
    As I said this can't be a valid comparison, it's apples to oranges.

Ok, that's what I'm starting to suspect. Because when I play through the Kemper, what I am hearing is also a recording through i mic and so on as compared to playing live with a real amp going straight to my ear.

If I remember correctly, I think I do remember that when I hooked a SM57 to my Blackstar HT-5 Combo and recorded the sound, that the recording also sounded more harsh as compared to just listening to the amp live. Could that be true? So maybe it's all about the mixing process in the end?

It's funny how someone will always try to make politics out of everything (like the first person replying). I'm just saying what it sounds to ME and I am asking if anyone else hear what I hear. Simple as that.

I do not profile my own amps. I use the best profiles available from the amp factory and so on. Still I hear the same problem. Sounds a bit more harsh on the Kemper and warmer with the real thing. I understand that the problem can be the monitoring situation but I tried listening through speakers and headphones and still sounds that way. When recording the final result will be awesome, but still it's harsher than the real thing in my opinion. I didn't actually record any real amp either myself so maybe I should try that and maybe it would sound just as harsh?? Do you guys think so?

I'm just comparing playing through the Kemper with playing live with a real amp without recording it with a mic.

I love my Kemper. Really, really love it and it has revolutionized my recordings. All is fine, but I do notice something that tends to bother me a little bit. I noticed that the sound on the Kamper is a little bit sharper, metallic almost, harsher than the original. When I play through my amps they seem much warmer. Is it because after it is digital? That's the best I can describe it. Did anyone else notice this?

It doesn't matter if I play through my DAW, Headphones, speakers or directly through Kemper. It's the same. Tried 4-5 different guitars. Checked the settings on the Kamper. All parameters for treble, bass and mids are set to 0dB in the System settings.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the same for everyone?

Ok, I think I get it. Thank you!

When I go through profiles on the Kemper, most of the times there isn't very much info about the particular profile or have I missed out on something? Isn't it relevant to know at least what head, cab and mic were used to make the profile?

Hi!

Love my Kemper, but I haven't learned it fully yet.

I downloaded Till's free profiles: http://www.tillschleicher.com/tills-cab-pack-free/
    I don't understand, is this not a full profile that I can use right out of the box and just play or is it "only" cabs as it seems to be stated? When I import these 127 files into my Kemper I can still only see 21 or something like that by Till's.

If these are cabs, how do I use them to build a rig, let's say I want a Marshall 800 top and a 1960 cab.

Are Till's cabs Marshall? It doesn't say.

All the best.

It's amazing. I think it might be the best piece of gear I've ever bought. The only weakness it has imo is that I can't seem to find a decent solo sound. I think it has a tendency to sound a little harsch and cold when playing single strings but it might only be me since most don't seem to have this problem but when I hook my guitar to my little 10" Blackstar amp and play live I do get a warmer sound. But on the whole it's been a revolution for my guitar sound and production.

Oh sh*t now I see...my tuner was off. I didn't even know you could mess around with the Hz and have no idea why it was set to 441. No wonder it was off. That is some dangerous stuff. I've recorded a whole album out of tune :/

EDIT: now it's actually the Kemper that is more precise.

I've noticed that the tuner in Kemper will give me slightly different results from the VST GTuner that everyone is speaking so fondly of. Which one should I trust? It's pretty bad too since I tuned my guitar with the kemper and bass with GTuner and now I have different tunings...probably hardly noticable but still.

Edit: I noticed that the VST GTuner and my hardware Yamaha YT-2200 will give me the exact same tuning, while the Kemper will be slightly off compared to those two. I will have to stick to GTuner I guess.

I could probably do that when I have time, was more wondering if anyone had the same experience or if it seems as if something's wrong. I mean, when you record solos do you feel like you have to add effects and such or do you just go with the basic amp.

I use a pretty basic setup I think. The Kemper connected with audio cables to my PCI-audio card (M-Audio Delta) which I've never had a problem with and it sounds perfectly fine. It doesn't really matter if I play the solo through my DAW or connect headphones directly to the Kemper, it sounds the same - a bit harsch and cold. The profiles sound amazing when just rocking out, but the solo sound I am not happy with at all. I think I had better luck with some of my VST plugins. I tried different guitars, Fender, Gibson but it sounds the same. Play live with my little Blackstar amp and it sounds warmer somehow.

...and I dunno why some here are getting so upset. I'm not here to slag Kemper. I love it. Best buy I ever did for my studio. I was just expecting a bit more out of the solo sound, but I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong.

Is it just me or is this another of those aimless posts that starts with getting a bad sound or similar? Then goes round in circles rather than using the suggestions given?

No idea of guitar, profile used, monitors, set up - really nothing of any real value.

The first 9 or 10 posts have given pretty direct ideas. Why don't you try some of these and reply where necessary? This should be in the trouble shooting forum in any case. :huh:

I don't know but I would call your post pretty aimless if anything.

I figured that with at least one of the 100 profiles in the Kemper would sound good playing solos, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's supposed to sound cold and harsch and you would have to tweak the living hell out of it to get a decent sound, is that what you are saying? If not, well then I would appreciate some help on what I could have been doing wrong.