Posts by Nemo13

Secretly plotting an editor to be released one day is the silliest theory I've ever heard. I mean I can see secret new special effects... I can see new hardware updates at NAMM or a new unit, etc., etc., But an editor? Its no big deal. Its just standard now. The massive Eventides and such have them for the get go, all the way down to little pedals. Even. little. pedals:

tone.jpg

No big deal. Its not like you can't own only one product and no other. The Kemper is fine for some things, and other tools for other things. If one comes out, great. Other useful possibilities emerge. If one doesn't, then the Kemper becomes just something else to use once in a while. I don't even care anymore. Always new things coming around, so I use the Kemper for what I can. It's still fun but my tube amps are fun too. Whatever...

And as said, I do NOT want to out the guys name because he seems like a really nice guy who simply needs more experience to do things right in the future.

I don't know... Sometimes its a good thing to out someone, just to save the next guy. Guitars are so personal, and anyone willing to shell out $$$ for something they are really passionate about deserves everything they are hoping for. I build all my guitars, and no small detail is ever overlooked. Some people are just patient for the very small detail, others are not. Over the years I've seen a few 'start ups' who suddenly decided they were a guitar builder and presenting themselves 'hobbiest to expert' within a few months to a year. That's bad. Me personally I've been building for 35 years or more, there's things you learn over time just like playing guitar.

I would tell anyone looking for a custom guitar to be wary of any small builder unless there is a looong line of happy customers. If not, you have a 50-50 chance of getting lucky or pissed off. Its just too easy not to just put up pro websites and such and look like the real deal.

One thing I like about the Kemper is it's depth. I really hated having those old rack boxes 17" or more deep, terrible. I can't believe I can use a little 8" deep rack with this, talk about light and easy to carry around. And nice to not have to crawl way back in the box for anything, the back is right at the back like a real amp. :)

Many of the people who are selling their Axe FX II are using the money to upgrade to the Axe FX III.

If you really thought the modeling was so much better, you would've taken my blind test when I first posted it, before you attacked my credibility.

I've listened to them and they are pretty damn close.

As far as price drop for AFX, I've went to Reverb, the prices are all over. Same with Kemper in a way. For one, price usually depends on how long you have it. I usually sell things for half of what I paid if its been a few years. Closer to full price if its been a few months. For example I recently sold a head I paid $4000 for for a little over $2000. 2 years old. So what. I didn't care, just a quick cash grab.

When I see posts about sales and such, and not even so much of a listen to a blind test out of fear (yes fear, you may choose the wrong one (gasp)) Then I see extreme bias. There is no longer a reason to continue with that viewpoint, you need others to make an assessment.

There is nothing wrong with either AFX or Kemper. Musicians all over make either sound great. And that is my thing, how good are you? I can play through anything and make it sing. For me and many others, it all comes down to how much of a pleasure or aggravation is it to make your gear do what you need it to do. That's it.

I have been messing with guitars and amps since the mid 80's. I have YET to see any guitarist EVER 100% satisfied with ANYTHING. To me, if you are totally satisfied than you are a novice. True tone seekers are like explorers, we go off the beaten path and forge new trails seeing whats out there.

This all comes back to application. easy or a PITA? Can it do what I need? How much BS do I have to surf through to make musical applications not video game noise? etc... etc...

INTERMISSION: Let’s take a call.... Greetings! What’s on your mind?

Can the admins close this thread please! No longer on topic IMO!

You mean that of the literally hundreds of threads and topics on this forum, this particular one you can’t seem to simply move past and choose another because of its existence?

Just don’t look and select another... problem solved...

Ok, back to whatever the hell is going on...

With all due respect, if you can't resolve a dispute after 5 posts you move on. Obviously you and your opponent will not budge in debate and unless there is some new 3rd party involved, etc., otherwise you are in a non-ending stalemate. All who read can then choose who they see in the right or wrong. Agree to disagree is the typical out. There is no way either of you can win the debate you've chosen so why bother. I could make a video where the Kemper sounds better. I could equally make a video where the AFX sounds better. Tone is personal, so you are not convincing anyone else really. Application is more interesting.

The creepy cult-like, emotionally impulsive need to overshadow everything un-Kemper has corrupted this forum and that's too bad. Would have liked to see more honest conversation about specs than pissing contests.

Well really, you can go to any product forum (not just music gear) and see the cheerleader fan-boi's. ;) It's totally fine, everyone likes to talk up their fav gear and some bemoaning the rest, its no different than a bunch of guys talking cars and engines.

At the end of the day, its like I said, diff ears, hands, guitars, strings, pickups, speakers, etc, etc... opinion. On the psychology side, you can see how some will go to any length to stay on the upper hand of opinion, which does speak volumes. ;)

Agree to disagree after 5 posts! :-0

Its interesting to go to the AFX forum, and see reverse take of tone to the convo here. One thing that struck me was the talk of if too much alteration to the original profile on the KPA, it starts to diminish or degrade the profile. I’ve somewhat experienced that myself and feel you can’t tweek too far or it starts to lose something.

I can see the argument regarding tone, and the little tiny things that sway you hear and there, but that is simply too subjective. Different ears, different guitars, different pickups, different strings, it's too hot outside, the rooms too cold and your fingers feel funny, etc...etc...

What I was getting at is looking at the application, connections, software, ease of use, etc... It is always interesting to see what was solved with anything / If it is something that can be used, etc. Anyway, this topic wasn't worth the length it got. :)

Although I do disagree with the "Hey, what's a AFX doin on on KPA..." blah. You should feel confident in the product you support enough to look at everything and anything. Ideas do not come from seclusion.

Almost 200 posts and no one, NO ONE, here has played the Axe FX III so far..... So very much bla bla bla bla bla this, bla bla bla bla that. Djeezzzz, where do you guys get the time for this nonsense? It's like the whiners did not overcome the "No-Kemper-News-at-NAMM" and keep on whining in this thread.
    You all should be ashamed.
    And play your guitar more often :D

I started the thread to discuss the specs and flexibility. Tone and comparability to other products are subjective and lies mostly in the opinion realm. Everybody's ears are different, everybody's skill is different. Usefulness and application is where the real discussion lies.

I think the AFX is kinda following Kemper in size. They see the advantage of 3U that can have a smaller depth footprint. I thought about the AFX once, but then I HATE old fashioned boxes 14" deep! That means I have to buy a big clunky deep rack box that is a pita to carry around / balance on something. I thought no way I am going down that road, I don't care what it is.

I always loved TC Electronic, how narrow the boxes were. You could put them in a shallow rack. That is the first thing I looked at on the Kemper, and was very happy that it too was really shallow! Huge plus. No matter how cool the thing is, you gotta move it around.

So the AFX suddenly is 3U and narrow. I just thought that was interesting. Well, why not get smart.

Anyway, I think all things are good. If you can't make everything you play through sound good, you need to practice more. The name of the game is EASY. Easy to use, easy to carry around, easy to maintain.

Any connectors I have leaving the back of a rack ( for the rack KPA version, and any rack gear I have for that matter) that is going elsewhere I have some tie down so it does not move around at the connector. Cat5 stuff isn't the strongest connectors anyway, so you kinda have to improvise for real world abuse.

I was just thinking of this again today, it is the only pedal I still need since its not really a standard chorus. It really stands out because there is no 'woosh' like a regular chorus, just a nice subtle presence. I don't think you can alter a chorus to sound like it, so it would have to be something new.

It might be a good idea to buy one then and celebrate your success on a fractal forum. Just a thought

Who said I wanted to buy one? And success at what? a purchase? That's hard? You need to be more clear.