Posts by Nemo13

I was toying with the idea of trading away my Kemper again, this time for an Axe FX.

Got cold feet in the end, lol

First rule: Never sell gear unless you are starving, you always regret it. If you need an Axe FX, save up and buy one, how hard is it to save a few grand? Better to keep it, also by and Axe Fx, use both. ;) I have tube amps, rack gear, Kemper, etc... Not as much as I did, but just my favs. When I get bored with one I have the other.

This subforum is intended to be a place where Profiler users can exchange information about thinks like audio interfaces, DAW programs,

Then I have used this sub forum correctly, since the AX3 is an interface to a computer:

Axe Fx 3:

The Center of your Music Workstation

A 16-core, 500 MHz microcontroller provides 16 channels of flawless USB audio (8 in, 8 out) allowing the Axe-Fx III to be the center of your music workstation. The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces.

USB In (from Axe-Fx III to Computer)
    1+2: Output 1
    3+4: Output 2
    5+6: Input 1 (DI for reamping)
    7+8: Input 2 (for general use)

USB Out (from computer to Axe-Fx III)
    1+2: Routed to physical Output 1 L+R
    3+4: Routed to physical Output 2 L+R
    5+6: Routed to the Grid via INPUT 1 block when its source is set to USB
    7+8: Routed to the Grid via the dedicated INPUT USB block

The Kemper profiler can be used in conjunction with this also if desired.

Ugh, tweeking! I don't know why some say the KPA is 'just like an amp' when it is not. Its a processor, like every other processor in the past. Oh, you have big front knobs like an amp, but that's it. its like every rack since the 80's: Little screen, lots of presets, lots of sub-screens & menus, lots of effects, guitar sounds, but also cabs, etc. The FAE is also the same thing, just more of it.

The only rack I have had 'just like an amp' was in fact a real amp, an ENGL 580 rack and it's counter part, a stereo engl power amp. It had an even smaller window (just numbers) big dials, presets, midi, etc, etc, but no effects of course. But it was the real deal. It was extremely flexible.

The real deal is limited compared to these new PROCESSORS giving us many more options, the only real diff from decades past is they do a much better job sounding great. There were many rack preamps that sounded cool on their own, but you had up to 200 or so options, NOT 1000+!!!

I remember things like the Roland SDX-330... You had 4 buttons really, but every present was great sounding. No stupid video game effects and non-musical crap, just a simple box that does what it is supposed to easily, and all you had to do was nudge the few parameters this way or that way. That's it! Then you play! That is perfection, when the box does everything inside, you do very little outside to be inspired.

When you start talking about 'tweeking' there is more than one:

There is pain in the ass tweeking, such as a foot controller (unless connected to an editor) where you are on the floor pushing stomp buttons.

There is old fashioned, move your rig to the center of the room so as to not bang your guitar into something, grab a chair, squint, hold the 1000 page manual, sit right in front of your rig like you are stuck to it 'I did it since the 80's' tweeking with a small screen, lots of menus, lots of time imagining or drawing out on paper a good idea for a layout, then trying to execute it on the wee little screen.

There is EDITOR tweeking, where you keep your rig and stuff where ever you want it, sit comfortable in front of your BIG monitor and enjoy visually mapping our your setup.

the REAL AMP tweeking is no more than 4 channels, maybe reverb built in, thats it. You walk up, have 9 or so knobs, a few switches, turn this, turn that, done. Period. If you have a setup with rack gear and a real amp, you are basically back to processor tweeking.

Sure, you can get used to any processor if you use it enough and think it is easy. Hell, even the pita Eventide stuff you can get used to flying around the menus. But if you don't have to.... Why would you want to?

Anyway, I like my Kemper. I almost hate any additional crap because it is getting closer to something like all the others. I hope there is a Kemper 2 with an editor, I'd buy that too. Maybe they could do something cool like maybe some diff color face plates not green. ;)

I think all these new products from all the companies are great, keep they working hard to out do each other, I don't wave a flag for anyone I just use what will work best for me.

My original comment was just an amusing jab because with the new Ax Fx, since the beginning, has an editor. It also it looks really flexible if you have a need. I realize the bias here and it is amusing because you expect it, some rational some irrational. It’s the same the opposite. I never think of gear like a football game but many seem to. Kemper team! Fractal team! Helix team! :)

All these things can change at a moments notice. The only ‘investment’ you can have is in real things like boutique amps, etc... Those last for decades. I have a bunch of pedals I use for other things, they are collectively around 2k, and there are new pedals every year! Now pedals have updates and editors, how maddening! I got a little $$ put away just in case a Kemper 2 comes out, Haha...

Looks interesting. I assume that's the new flagship model for the next 6 months? ;)

Can't beat the Kemper product roadmap that ensures we don't lose most of our investment after 1 year.

I don’t see anyone over on the Fractal forum complaining. When we all bought rack gear in the 80’s, none of it came with updates. Later I remember ‘investing’ in things like the Eventide Eclipse, which still had the old card reader on the front, and still has it to this day. For that kind of cash, can’t ditch it for something better? Or TC electronics when they stop updates or the product all together and leave you hanging. When you buy a new computer, it’s almost dated before you leave the store. Every year a new processor or motherboard or other hardware or OS. Cell phones? Etc.. etc..

I think it is safe to assume that everyone who buys anything electronic can expect updates of any kind at any time. To bemoan change is silly. You may look at these things as some kind of investment, others we look at them as simply tools. I have the choice to stick with it or if there is an improvement I buy it if needed, if I can sell my old tool, cool. I don’t cry about the missing pesos.

I’m sure Kemper must be working on their new product. When a Kemper two ever comes out, will there be much difference? I think we should all note behavior here and compare when it happens, bias is always an amusing thing to watch. ;)

My thing is gear always tends to get too complicated. Those of us that came from the 80s remember how it all started with the pedals, the classic ‘I need to switch from clean + chorus to distorted with delay.. “. And dreamed of something that would stop the 2 foot at a time shuffle. Rack gear started with one effect per rack. Then 4 effects, then 7! Wonderful! And the tiny display was ok, because you could only do so much anyway. When it got to where you suddenly had eventides and NASA rocket manuals, that’s where most jumped ship. Just too fucking much, and most of it was crap. Not for guitar. Back to pedals. Then the editor stuff came around, and that suddenly changed everything. The fatigue of the programming the massive layout was made easy. To finally not have to stand or sit for hours pushing, twisting, storing was gone! Thank god!

Now, you have things getting like a rocket ship again. 1000 amps. 1000 cabs, 1000 inputs and outputs and etc, etc... Even with an editor, the more updates, I can feel the late 80’s early 90’s aggravation creeping up again. Do I have the latest update? Will we get another update? Do I really need the latest update? Can I use (fill in the blank) with this new update? Should I back this shit up in case my whole system crashes?! The Ax is turning into too much of a monster. The Kemper is gaining ground with more and more effects and things...

And then there is my trusty 2 channel combo and 5 effect analog footpedal board... :)

Previously I imagined the death of tube amps because what is the point? But then I have to catch myself because we were here before. Now seeing how these boxes get more and more, I’m just wondering if there won’t be another tech brain crunch and reversal again.

You are not paying attention obviously. You can’t make a comparison to something that has gone through complete hardware updates. I could see a comparison if the Ax just went through software updates like the kemper, but it hasn’t, Fractal has been making improvements to both hardware and software. Of course you are going to see a dip like that, hell, the Axe 3 has been talked about a long way back, those customers know what the deal is. If the Kemper 2 suddenly made an appearance you’d see a steep drop in the price of the current Kemper, especially since the new Kemper would be close to the current price.

I don’t feel Fractal has any desire to go exactly in the same path as Kemper. I have noticed with the 3U design it has reduced its depth to under 12”, which is definitely more shallow rack friendly. The color display is a huge plus, and of course the output section. To me Fractal design is improving and if the tones are resigned it could be a great item, but as stated, if the older stuff is left in the dust, it makes you apprehensive to buy when it could be totally obsolete in 5 years. Fractal should be like RME, they always have updated stuff even for their oldest boards.

You can’t make a comparison until someone actually hears it. Hell, it might be a game changer! Kemper physically hasn’t changed but had a lot of updates and these units basically are software, the hardware quality does help the tone, but a huge factor in all gear is connectivity. That is the one thing so many in the past never got right. In the old days, you always had the one effect you couldn’t figure out how to incorporate or some special idea you had to get all this other stuff to make work.

I noticed it looks like 3u now, I wonder if it is still that old super deep server sized 17” or more? I hate when boxes are deeper than my rack. One thing I liked about tc electronics and Kemper is they are light and shallow. It will be interesting to see how Axe fx has improved on their sounds.

The cheerleaders here are like the cheerleaders at fractal or any other product: “Nothing to see here, everything is coming up roses!”

For me, the Kemper is just sitting around for house jamming on top of a speaker, sometimes on a stand face level so I can easily get to the little screen.

For the real world I have a Boss ES-5 and my fav analog effects on a light little board, and my amps. THAT is simple. Even the little ES-5 has an editor! I don't have to get down on the floor and mess with little screens or close to the floor, I just use my laptop for any adjustments. Perfect. I love the -modern- age of simplicity and a big screen, we've moved pass the late 80's - early 90's of small screens and scrolling endlessly little dials, wearing them out through multitudes of sub-menus. It simply isn't needed anymore.

My ENGL combo has 2 channels, 9 knobs, and a effects loop with channel switching. THAT is a real amp. My Diezel has 3 channels, a master, effects loops, midi, etc.. Simple. THAT is a real amp layout. That is not the Kemper.

Guitar -> ES-5 -> Amp. EDITOR! It's so nice to just go right to the computer, see the map out of my chain, and change quickly.

If I have a early 90's flashback and the urge to mess with the Kemper, which is NOT like an amp at all, but just another processor with more knobs and buttons and same tiny screen, I can scooch up close moving stuff out of the way so my guitar doesn't hit anything, and sit right in front of it (or stand if on the rack) and twiddle around the many many options, just like I did when rack gear first came out.

When editors came out, it was a god send. Wow! I don't have to bang up my guitar or look like I am a scrunched up hermit for several hours making changes! I can just sit comfortably -away- from my rig with plenty of room and have everything huge and big! The future is now!

Seriously... Even foot pedals have editors now... -----> even. footpedals...

So you guys that want to hold on to some silly idea that something that is now absolutely STANDARD today is not needed, good luck with the past. Enjoy it. The kemper for me is fun, but I have the real thing too, and is compact and just as easy to use. I figured the Kemper would quickly catch up to the Axe FX in ease of use, but with no editor, there is no way.

The Kemper just keeps getting bigger and bigger with effects and features, so as I use it, I get that same nagging feeling I had with my giant rack full of gear, so many choices, a little window to it, and the echo of: "Do I really need all this to just play?" Haha...

Ridiculous. Amps are basic. Show me any ‘real’ amp that has 1000 settings, tons of effects and cab adjustments built in, etc. NONE. You have at best on a real amp 4 channels, some tone knobs, midi, and that is it. So stop with the amp comparison, unless the kemper is limited to those amp features.

The Kemper is a full blown processor, not unlike others in the past. Tc electronics had well layed out screen matrix, but also had an editor. It only makes sense. To say it is not needed is beyond silly. It’s the standard now.

Ax Fx was top dog until Kemper came around, then Kemper came in with something new. There will most certainly be something newer and greater from someone else, so if no editor from Kemper, I’m sure in the future we will see better products with what is needed from someone else and can go there. The best tool for the job wins.

my thought was that once you add an editor, you need to continuously update the editor each time you make changes to the firmware. thus it takes longer to release new firmware updates, as now you also have to offer an updated editor that works with the new firmware. Thus to me, it seems to me that if they have any major upgrades to the firmware planned in the near future, it would make sense to roll out the editor with or after those upgrades.

Since most companies have an editor from the start, that would mean it was intended from the beginning and part of the overall design/scheme. Updates always happen for everything.

I think when it comes out, it's going to have been worth the wait. Consider that a couple years ago, the Kemper folks hinted that they wanted to expand midi capabilities. Many of us have been begging for the ability to send messages without leaving the current rig. Also, they supposedly had plans, at least at one time, of doing something with aliases. That is, having multiple rigs share copies of a particular element, such as the amp block from another rig. then when you adjust the original, all the rigs that have the alias of that change with it. Supposedly, they were anyway. Plus with the hinting at new Reverbs, perhaps there's a bunch of details they want to get all hammered out in an editor that take into account these and perhaps other changes. No sense in rolling out an editor that would need major overhaul when or if they plan on rolling out these particular changes.

companies have had editors day one for other products. It's not a huge task to make an editor. It's just what a company feels like putting out. Given so many other products thes last few years almost have an editor standard, it is a mystery why kemper didn't as well. I mean even foot pedals have editors. Hopefully they will get this together soon, just like the main unit, bugs are worked out by usage and feedback.