Posts by slateboy

All joking aside, my conclusion is that, in "human terms" 0-10 or measuring in percentage are nice numbers to deal with whereas computers will work to binary base-2 values, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc etc, so i guess somewhere along the line these "digital" values are scaled to give us "human friendly" values.
    Perhaps 0 to 1 as fraction of the overall range of say 1-128 is rounded to 0 in both cases, hence my original findings. the same with the gain that was mentioned in an earlier thread and the same reason we see -0.0 and 0.0 values.

anyone agree?

i think i missed something somewhere- Can i only upload one rig at a time to the rig exchange through the website?
    I was hoping to find some way of "bulk" uploaded several rigs in one go and didn't notice anything in Rig Manager to upload to the online RE.

can anyone put me right, please?
    (apologies if this has already been covered)

After nearly 20 years gigging with my Marshall jmp1 midi preamp + 1960a 4x12 cab, I've put them into retirement after getting a kemper.
    Seems only right to profile some of the sounds and offer them to the online community, here.
    The unit has 4 channels, two clean, two dirty. I never really used the clean channels but preferred the dirty channel on a very low gain instead.
    These are low-med gain tones so "metal-heads" look elsewhere. I love the JMP1 but the KPA takes some beating.
    The cab is 20 years old and, consequently, milder-sounding than a modern-day equivalent.

this is my first attempt at profiling. I don't know how to (or if its possible) to bulk upload KIPR files so i've zipped the lot up and put them here.
    Also done some demo tracks so you can hear those profiles:

demos here:

profiles to download (and demos) here:

;( I'm aware of the bum-notes so no need to comment on those! :love:

Not sure if this has been discussed already but I think most users have noticed a significant reduction in the boot up to playability time with the latest firmware. I've noticed mine go from 55 to 45 seconds.
    However, some operations are not responsive during few seconds following boot up, ie rig selection seems to lag for a bit, even though I can start to strum and make some sounds.
    I wondered if the kpa engineers have engaged the sound/playable state during the latter stages of the boot process rather than post-boot. It's definetly an improvement but I'd be curious to know what's going on during this time and whether I should lay off any knob-twiddling during this period to avoid upsetting any system-processes. Anyone shed any light on the matter?

I noticed that rapid scrolling (by button) of cabinets with autoload engaged can lock up the unit and stall the kpa. Not something I plan to do live.

Ok, so what I'm saying is that some rig set ups are hiss-free until you turn back that little bit lower than "0"
    Not sure if the default value is therefore "0" or the pseudo "-0.1"

I like the spinal tap reference. Watching that film should be part of every musicians apprenticeship

Noticed something a bit weird with the noise gate on my KPA (latest firmware)
    Can anyone else please try this and see if it happens for them too.

First off, get a med to high gain rig, one that introduces a little bit of hiss/noise.
    Now as you increase the noise gate slowly (0.1 steps at a time) the hiss subsides, as expected.
    Now, Slowly turn down the noise gate by 0.1 steps (the noise increases as expected) until you get to 0.0 then what would be one more turn in an attempt to go lower the 0.0 and (to me) there is another level of noise-reduction, as if the noise gate goes to -0.1 but the display stops at 0.0

Its not a performance-threatening situation but curious if this is present with any other users.

I do notice on some other parameter that go to negative values that there are two "zero" values, sometimes shown as <-0.0> and <0.0> (one has the minus sign)
    Might be related to this.

thanks to anyone that attempts to confirm this for me

Anyone know if leaving a usb stick always attached to the kpa causes any problems? i.e. slowing down operation maybe as the stick gets scanned during running or boot up. There's some small usb sticks out there with low profiles so lessen the risk of physical damage but I wonder if it's good practice to remove when not required?

Can anyone clarify if there are any known compatibility issues when restoring a backup that was made under a different firmware,
    ie; restoring an old backup with the latest FW or maybe a trying to restore a recent backup into a KPW running older FW.

for the sake of this discussion, imagine that we don't have the option to upgrade the KPA FW on this particular occasion.

thanks

Would be interesting to see the comments from the "live" users and the "home" users and know which side they sway towards. Personally the biggest factor I find, and what make the most significant difference, is the venue/stage and acoustics of the space the performance occupies. Certainly the kpa allows for a more consistent sound as there's no mics competing with reflections and bleed from other sources. That's good in my book.

here's the situation-
    playing a gig where minimal gear is taken due to travel/luggage restrictions but can specify what amp/rig is provided on the rider.
    I'd choose a KPA and (hope to) get away with just my guitar and a USB stick.
    Is it worth doing a firmware update on the KPA at the destination to make it compatible with my backup?
    I'd hope that as the KPA is becoming globally used it shouldn't be an unusual item to request though it still leaves the matter of a suitable midi-pedal and a half-decent FRFR monitor.
    Coming from a non-powered rack KPA and being given a toaster (powered or not) shouldn't be an issue, should it?
    Any other precautions or advice you guys can think of?

So, please confirm this for a complete dummy (yes, me)
    I use my kpa in performance mode when gigging.
    If I backup to usb can I restore that backup in ANY kpa and I will get a total clone of my kpa?