Posts by slateboy

Noticed something a bit weird with the noise gate on my KPA (latest firmware)
    Can anyone else please try this and see if it happens for them too.

First off, get a med to high gain rig, one that introduces a little bit of hiss/noise.
    Now as you increase the noise gate slowly (0.1 steps at a time) the hiss subsides, as expected.
    Now, Slowly turn down the noise gate by 0.1 steps (the noise increases as expected) until you get to 0.0 then what would be one more turn in an attempt to go lower the 0.0 and (to me) there is another level of noise-reduction, as if the noise gate goes to -0.1 but the display stops at 0.0

Its not a performance-threatening situation but curious if this is present with any other users.

I do notice on some other parameter that go to negative values that there are two "zero" values, sometimes shown as <-0.0> and <0.0> (one has the minus sign)
    Might be related to this.

thanks to anyone that attempts to confirm this for me

Anyone know if leaving a usb stick always attached to the kpa causes any problems? i.e. slowing down operation maybe as the stick gets scanned during running or boot up. There's some small usb sticks out there with low profiles so lessen the risk of physical damage but I wonder if it's good practice to remove when not required?

Can anyone clarify if there are any known compatibility issues when restoring a backup that was made under a different firmware,
    ie; restoring an old backup with the latest FW or maybe a trying to restore a recent backup into a KPW running older FW.

for the sake of this discussion, imagine that we don't have the option to upgrade the KPA FW on this particular occasion.

thanks

Would be interesting to see the comments from the "live" users and the "home" users and know which side they sway towards. Personally the biggest factor I find, and what make the most significant difference, is the venue/stage and acoustics of the space the performance occupies. Certainly the kpa allows for a more consistent sound as there's no mics competing with reflections and bleed from other sources. That's good in my book.

here's the situation-
    playing a gig where minimal gear is taken due to travel/luggage restrictions but can specify what amp/rig is provided on the rider.
    I'd choose a KPA and (hope to) get away with just my guitar and a USB stick.
    Is it worth doing a firmware update on the KPA at the destination to make it compatible with my backup?
    I'd hope that as the KPA is becoming globally used it shouldn't be an unusual item to request though it still leaves the matter of a suitable midi-pedal and a half-decent FRFR monitor.
    Coming from a non-powered rack KPA and being given a toaster (powered or not) shouldn't be an issue, should it?
    Any other precautions or advice you guys can think of?

So, please confirm this for a complete dummy (yes, me)
    I use my kpa in performance mode when gigging.
    If I backup to usb can I restore that backup in ANY kpa and I will get a total clone of my kpa?

done a little recording with one of my favourite marshall profiles found to date.
    recorded straight through as one-take for lead & rhythm track. (bum notes bonus!)
    No additional processing- as it came out of the KPA other than using the p/u selector and guitar vol control
    http://www.soundcloud.com/slateboy/sets/steve-chris-and-jimi

there's a couple more tracks on there too, aiming for more of the "classic" rock sound.
    Again, more of a sound demo that a performance piece.

You can set the kpa so it "remembers" the delay-tempo you're working at.
    I tap my tempo at the start of a song and whatever patch/slot I bring up the delay stays at that tempo.
    I did ask a similar request a while back to load in select stomps or parts of the chain as a more efficient way of loading in new data. I kinda see what is wanted here. I just bang in the pure boost (post-cabinet) for solos and have another one pre-amp side in case I want a bit more gain. With the number of performance slots available there's potential for a dozen rigs/patches per song for a gigs worth of songs.

please could you move the OK button which follows a USB backup function so that an accidental "double-press" following a successful backup avoids initiating another backup.
    I would guess that many users have the need to press the same button two or three times for certain functions, ie "store" and "exit" so for people who have a habit of 'double-clicking' (like me) this would avoid this. thank you

Can anyone share their experiences or suggest a suitable uninterruptible power supply device to use with the KPA.
    I have encountered issues when powering "switch-mode power supply" devices like PCs, laptops, etc (which i assume is used in the KPA) from power-inverter or battery-powered mains supplies.

also-
    Is it true that without a proper shutdown the KPA takes a long time to boot?
    thanks

Using my kpa in performance mode I choose a rig (patch) and toggle on/off effects with midi cc commands, which is smooth, but more often I choose various rigs with prog changes.
    If I recall (prog change) the same rig already selected it reloads that rig with a short but noticeable glitch (drop out in sound) as it reloads the rig data.
    Sometimes I do this to reset the effects to the "default" that i have saved (maybe i'll engage chorus, delay and other stomps and then wish to disengage them all by recalling the original rig/patch)

Could it be possible to "reset" the stomps status (on/off) of the current rig rather than reload the complete settings to avoid this little sound drop out) perhaps as an user-option rather than as a global implication?
    It's not a major concern (so why am I writing this?) and I can gig with it but it might be more system-efficient if the kpa receives repeated rig call-ups to realise it doesn't need to reload the complete rig data unnecessarily.
    I'm sure CK has thought of this because the more I understand about the device the more I realise how much thought has gone into it to make it the awesome device that it is.

I've noticed that if you move the pedal by hand, rather than with your body weight on your foot (as you would playing live standing up) you get different high and low values. Make sure you calibrate with the same limb you intend to use.
    Anyone know if the curve is changeable on the regular uno chip?