Posts by SteveP

So when using my kemper amp with a direct profile and a cabinet I get that cool push in the room (the umph). I have a couple of cabinets mostly 1x12 and 2x12 and each give a distinct sound obviously.

So, I have my mind set on a Two Notes Torpedo studio or live and want to know if this would make sense to use the Kemper with it. The Two-Notes gives me mic positions and tons of IRs to play with.

Anyone who has some experience he/she likes to share?

Dear engineers,

A feature request.

In the System part of the profiler one should be able to set the default position of an effect in the first four effect placeholders before the amp stage and where the X and Mod effects are placed.

So when selecting the effect placeholder later in a rig, the selection should list only those types related to the effect placeholder.

E.g. You select in the System part, that the first stomp box will be of type Compressor, the second placeholder of type Distortion, etc etc

When in the rig you hold down an effect button, the list will then only show those types of stomp effects related to what was specified in the System part.

Makes sense ?

Cheers,
    Steve

Yes, you can combine profiles if you profile both amps yourself at the same time using a splitter and merge the sound via a mixing desk.

You would need to have splitter to split the sound from the kemper into two amps and then 2 mic's or if you want to go direct connect to a DI box with 2 inputs. Then connect either the mics or the line level signal from the DI box to a mixing desk and feed that into the Kemper for analysis.

(PS: I should start reading previous posts as Michael_DK already said what I said).

PS2: I tihnk you may get phasing issues though but I can't attest to that as I haven't even considered trying it. But I see your point as f.i. Phil X uses 2 amps to blend his sound which leads to a massive killer sound.

Firstly, a profile player would still require a power amp section. This can't be build into a floor unit due to the size. Even a class D amp would be hard to fit into a floor unit. It would have to be very sturdy as well so top notch components. The current version of the Kemper is solid but not solid enough to stomp on it. The buttons currently on the Kemper require tender pressure :)

Second, the price difference for a Kemper with or without the profiling capabilities would be minimal. They won't sell this for 500 euro since it would undermine their flagship product severely. They wouldn't even be able to produce it for 500 euros so the selling point would maybe be around 900 - 1000 euro. Too close to the price of a real Kemper.

Just like jimification said just above, Kemper thrives on the profiling market. Releasing a product that won't profile would mean suicide.

They already have a floor unit linked to the Kemper. This wouldn't sell anymore either.

People still buy amps even if they have a Kemper. Because having a real amp is still something well... real. Mathematics comes close to the real thing but are the profiles profiled at the 'sweet' spot of an amp ? Many aren't due to the volume but reaching a sweet spot of an amp is something hard to reproduce.

Hi Monkey_Man,

You think it is really so much more trouble to swap cabs? I just extract a cab from a rig, say the Laney VH100R and store it as a separete cab then press and hold the cabinet button for another rig and select the cab I want... it is a mere 5 second job :)

Cheers
    Steve

Hello Kemper addicts,

I have come to the conclusion never to give up on a profile that you may not initially like. Even those from well known commercial profiling businesses.

1. First thing to check out is the sound through another cabinet. I have found that the cabinet that comes with the freely available profile from Rig Exchange, the Laney VH100R Clean has a fantastic sound - it is an Engl 4x12 cabinet. There are others too but I forgot the name of the profile from which I got the cabinet. Blackstar Artisan 4x12, a Mesa Boogie cabinet 4x12

So yes, the profiles may not come out of the box with a great sound but change it to another cabinet and boom.

2. Next thing to check then is the Definition and Clarity parameters in the Amplifier section.

3. Another tip is not to go with an overdriven profile but use a real distortion pedal with a clean profile. Really great results there. I have no clue how they actually do this since a distortion pedal drives the preamp tubes while with a Kemper it is all DSP and mathematics and some sound terrible with pedals - as the real amp would sound - and others blossom with a pedal. A great example of this is the Rig Exchange profile of a Blackstar Series One called Blackstar 100 #1 (or something like that).

One gripe that I have is that most, if not all of the overdriven profiles sound terrible through a guitar cabinet when the cabinet sim is off. Very fizzy almost like having to listen to an amp connected to a DI box without any amp simulation on it.

Maybe a cool feature would be to have the possibility for 2 impulse responses. One for the guitar cabinet and one for the main out (FOH) section. Wouldn't that be cool ? Sometimes the FOH gets a really good sound while the guitar cabinet is much darker but when de-activating the cabinet sim for the monitor it all becomes fizzy.

If you have other tips, please share them :)

Cheers
    Steve

So when trying out different cabinets I would like to have a softbutton saying 'Set As Reference" and another "Load Reference Cab" and yet another "Load Current Cab"

The Set as Reference functionality is self-explanatory as it refers to the current load cabinet for the amp to be used as a reference cabinet.

As you select another cabinet from another amp one can toggle between the reference and the current by pressing "load reference cab" and "load current cab".

It is very tedious to compare various cabinet on an amp if you have like 50 cabinets and can't jump easily to a reference amp that you like already.

Does this makes sense ?

Do not sell off your stomps as they can be used by the Kemper and they sound fantastic. Especially drive and distortion pedals on a clean profile. Do not sell those.

And do not sell you amps yet before you have them profiled.

Hi,

So when fiddling with cabinets as in separately storing the amp from the cabinet I came across the following. When you have not entered the cabinet save dialog before the name of the cabinet will be presented to you to be saved however and here is the issue, if you have changed a amp by selecting a different cabinet and you want to save another cabinet out of an amp it will show the name of the previously selected cabinet and not the one stored in the amp that you like to save the cabinet for. I hope that makes sense.

There a some other similar bugs in the kemper software like this too.

Yes, you have bought the right one.

First, try to leave the cabinet on, for some reason sometimes it sounds better than going DI into a 4x12 or 1x2 or whatever. If you don't get the right tone, try to change the cabinet by holding the cabinet button for a while and select a cabinet from another rig. You can separate the rigs and cabinets by storing the cabinet by itself.

The powered version has the benefit of 'one package hold everything'. It is a Class D amp that doesn't color the sound by adding valves to it.

You will have tons of fun with this device and the possibilities are enormous.