Posts by theplayer

Thanks viabcroce. Clear explanation....if I knew what linear cabs are. So I looked it up and what I know now is that guitar speakers are non linear.
    In http://www.kpa-solutions.com/frfr-cabinets/ I read that FRFR speakers would be better.

I haven't really a good guitar speakercab and surely not a powered one. What I do have are two powered FRFR speakers: http://www.qsc.com/live-sound/…rs/k-series/live-soundk8/but I can't determine if they are linear..

Back to your reply: If they are linear, would I have then perfect stereo using Direct Out and Monitor Out?

Pamplemousse: Thanks for your reply. I know now what to do if I want to have stereo on stage. Looking back I know why a lot of people have chosen for a 19" model. It's cheaper, comes with a deal for the remote (which I have to buy separately), can be rackmounted, and has an easier setup with a stereo power amp.

I tried this stereo option on my powerhead with direct out and monitor out with two mono powered FRFR cabs and this gives a lot of sound spreading.

Buty it's a bit hard to tell which settings in Output (Output sources) are best for real stereo, because they seem to sound alike:
    page 1: Monitor Output (Mod left) Direct Output (Mod right) OR
    Monitor Output (Mod mono) Direct Output (Mod mono) OR
    Monitor Output (Master mono) Direct Output (Master mono) OR
    Monitor Output (Master left) Direct Output (Master right) OR

Any comment on this?

Reading carefully the Reference manual (4.0) page 39 it now seems that I only THINK I'm listening to stereo because of my two powered speakers , connected to MONITOR OUT and DIRECT out. (BTW: I've set output volumes for these outputs to 0.0. dB on page 2 of the profiler). Several routings show not being available for DIRECT OUTPUT and MONITOR OUTPUT .
    example: Mod Left: Delivers only one side of the stereo signal of “Mod Stereo”. Where's the other side?
    example: Master Left: Delivers only one side of the stereo signal of “Master Stereo”.

I'm really beginning to think that the powerhead, connected to 2 powered cabs, to DIRECT OUT and MONITOR OUT can't deliver a true stereo sound. Somehow it seems logical to me since it's about a one internal power amp of the Powerhead which delivers 600 W at 8 ohms (on page 33 of the Reference manual). Above this section it also talks about the "power of the built in class D amp".
    So it only could be the fx coming out in stereo through Monitor Out and Direct Out, sent to 2 powered speakers. But I can't determine that and the descrpions here above ("not available for....") seem to confirm that...
    Or I understand everything wrong...

Now I am confused..
    Do you mean you do need to connect 2 active speakers to the direct out en monitor out? So 2 mono 1x12 cabs won't do with the 600 w poweramp of the Kemper?

And what if I use an extra valve amp for these outputs? Is that overkill because of the 600 w power amp or do I benefit from this?

Not that long ago I was at an Open Door Day at one of the biggest music stores in The Netherlands. Of course there was a big demo of Kemper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9goc1R7AzBo

The guy told me about his specific choice NOT to go for a powerhead but for a 19" version powered by a stereo all valve power amp, just for its stereo options on stage as well as for FOH! You see two 1x12 60W cabs behind him and above that his 19" Kemper and left from that his stereo amp, a Koch atr 4502.
    He connected his left and right speaker outputs to the l+r speaker inputs of the power amp and from there the l+r outputs to two QSC K 12 powered PA speakers, left and right from him in the video. A truly amazing sound...!

Since the Powerhead has no two l+r speaker outputs, I assumed that it was not possible to play stereo on stage. I can recall a statement about this issue from someone in a topic in this forum who confirmed that. But now I read it surely is possible! Going to FOH after that is no problem with two Shure SM 57 mikes, right?

Yes, I know now about the possible damage. I should have used the XLR main outs for FOH (its usual purpose) with these powered cabs.

But if want to play in stereo on stage with 2 mono cabinets and my Powerhead? First I thought this only would be possible with an unpowered 19" version of the Kemper connected to a stereo powered amp. What about that monitor out + direct out for this matter?

Studying the reference manual I learned now that you never should connect an active device to the power output. Unfortunately I've done this several times, not knowing this, with a powered QSC K8 FRFR speaker cab. But lately I noticed a heavily thunder coming from that speaker while playing at a louder volume. It seemed that this 1000 W (!) cab could not handle the volume. Could I have damaged something either in the cab as well as in my Powerhead?

This brings me to my second question. It seems that it's also possible with the Powerhead to play stereo with two cabs, just as with the unpowered 19" version of the Kemper (combined with a power amp) Therefore you would have to use the monitor out and the direct out. Is this right and does this mean connecting a non powered cab to monitor out and the other cab to direct out?
    If this is true, how to control volume for both and balance between these two?

Thanks drog. As for your remark about the patches one step ahead. I remember that. As for the controllinh part. I have to figure out if it's useable since my controller is allready with midi hooked up for Kemper. As you can see there's a external control jack in at the rear. I wonder if that can be used as an on/off switch. But I need also a kind of scrolling-through-patches up and down switch...

Depends on your foot controller and how much you want to control. If you just use on patch on the GForce, then you could simply turn the effects loop on or off as needed. If you are looking to change patches, and turn on off effects, etc, then this is where your controller becomes limiting. I think your controller can only send to one midi channel? So you would then set your GForce to the same midi channel as your Kemper, ex both on midi ch1. Then you would use the midi commands to change patches or controller the expression pedal. If you don't want the GForce in the loop you could turn on or off the Kemper return or just make an empty patch on the GForce.

Like i said, the limiting factor will be your foot controller and that will dictate how much control you can have.

to hook up the foot controller. Midi out of the controller to the midi in of the GForce and the the midi thru from the GForce to the midi in of the Kemper.

one other thought if you hit midi patch one on the foot controller and the Kemper changers to patch 1 but the GForce goes to patch 2. You need to set your GForce midi to start at zero. If you can not do that then the GForce will always play one patch higher than your Kemper. Which is not a big deal but just so you know.

I think you have to put it in the fx loop and i dont know if the G- force have an output control poti. If yes you can control the loudnes there. You dont need a midi controler to change the fx. Just connect midi in and midi out with the midi in and out of the kpa. Than you can set the mdi change commands with the kpa per rig. If the unit s stereo you have to use 3 tr cabel . Its all written in the manual.

OK. Thanks. I will read the manual about that. But my concern is about midi that is allready in use by Kemper and FC-200 for controlling rigs. I guess the manual can't go into that.
    And yes: the G-Force has an output poti and it's stereo.

Thanks.
    [Blocked Image: http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/y/k/mykeita/TC_Electronic_G-Force_01.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/y/k/mykeita/TC_Electronic_G-Force_02.jpg]http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/…Electronic_G-Force_02.jpg
    http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/…Electronic_G-Force_02.jpg

http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/…Electronic_G-Force_02.jpg

From the old days I still have a TC-Electronic G-Force, known for its best delay- en reverb sounds. Back then it wasn't much of a use for me because twice when it was hooked up with an all valve pre-amp (Custom audio 3+SE and after that a Mesa Boogie TRIAXIS) this unit sucked a lot of tone of the amps.
    I wonder if Kemper is a better deal for this unit and if YES it brings me to my next question: How to control the fx coming from this unit?
    I use a Roland FC-200 midicontroller with the Kemper but only to switch to midi controlled rigs through Kemper.

I have the powerhead for almost two years now. Great toaster. I run it to a QSC K8 PA speakercab. But recently I've seen and heard the unpowered rackversion with an all valve stereo poweramp (KOCH 4502) together with 2 1x12 guitar speakerscabs in stereo. The wide sound spreading knocked me over.
    True, it's more expensive but, as said before, much more versatile.