Posts by V8guitar

I think the useability of the Kemper is massively overlooked. It is very intuitive and actually seems like a tool created by guitarists. The main gripe of poor editor/management software remains.

I would also like a foot based system BUT I often use a cab so the powered head/rack is another benefit over the helix.

True, for me if it drops very quick wiggle brings it back, but as you say we each have our different problems :)

It used to drive me batty clicking the thing on and off :)

Yeah I think there is definitely some loss in air movement I won't disagree and I have sometimes suffered the "digital" loss where it doesn't cut through like a valve amp, although eqing improves this.

BTW, even in small gigs I always mike my guitar because even with a cranked valve through a 4 x 12 you'll not project much past the first row.

FRFR is an expensive and unfulfilling rabbit hole if you like the amp in the room, power of pushing 4 12in speakers. A frfr will never ever replace that, I watched bands that were frfr with Yamaha dxr and clr wedges just sound thin live, when we pull up our 4x12 cabs and heads the crowd and everyone can feel and hear the difference, but I also play punk/hardcore so it has to have energy

Because I bought the Powerrack, FRFR was not expensive. It cost me £180 for a passive monitor ( which I tested against Yamaha DXR10 etc). It keeps up with Marshall 4 x12's at gigs and rehearsals.

Having owned a number of high gain amps, mainly ENGL, I have never had so many compliments about my sound from listeners and guitarists with my Kemper.
    I agree if you just run backline 4 x12 there seems to be something missing, but direct FOH and just using a 4 x12 to monitor, I miss nothing.

I’ve come to realize the kemper is a recording tool, I think marketing it as a amp solution to be used with a traditional 4x12 cab is misleading unless the profiling is improved, for now kemper is hooked up to my DAW and 5150 goes to practice and shows

Totally disagree. I use my Kemper only live, never in the studio. I started with 4 x12 and moved to FRFR. The main reason being there was little point using a 4 x 12 anymore except for the look and I still occasionally use it.

I didn't profile my own amps, I use already made profiles. However, the profiles I did make were pretty good replicas but I found better sounds elsewhere.

I found:
    Guitar cabs colour the sound so much more than I originally thought, to the point that some of my sounds were poor through cheaper cabs - much more noticable than a regular valve amp
    Profiles that sound good through a 4 x12 can sound really bad because of the colouring

It doesn't cut off immediately, there is a lag but yes you have to keep it moving.

This slight issue for me totally outweighs the " have I switched it on/off?" problem that you get with a regular crybaby when trying to click the toe switch...to the point where previously I used a wah plate and then later modified it with a touch switch ( lots of drilling and wires)..

??

I currently use an expression pedal to control volume which mutes both outputs ( main and monitor).

It depends on how you have it connected but should work.

Please explain a bit more on how the expression pedal is connected and I assume you want to mute FOH and monitor ?

Everyone on this forum I have found will always try to help.

I seriously don't know now what you are asking.

If it is to tell you what effects and parameters are adjustable, that is in the manual.

If you are asking for a functional comparison, you need to do that cos we are not familiar with all of your pedals.

If you want to know if it will sound as good, that is entirely subjective and we can't help, the only way is to try the KPA.

I'm with V8 - I use the morph function for solos usually. You can also increase the reverb and delays a bit if needed. Also maybe give the midrange a bit of a bump, etc.

I actually have a separate patch for solos but use morph in a similar way, to add volume, gain and a sprinkle of delay to punch out riffs, as I'm in a 2 guitar band.

It effectively doubles your patches within a performance. Didn't understand the original purpose, now its my fav feature.

Again Kemper has given me something I didn't realise I needed :)

Or you move you foot a little earlier than we do.... :D

You are probably right :). Seriously even a whammy pedal has some latency, I've personally not noticed much difference between that and the Kemper although I use this function much less now than I used to...

You can also just morph a volume increase....double touch on the remote...I use this to boost for riffs...I never use pure boost...

I have taken the switch out of the crybaby and I'm using "touch" for on and off. So much easier as its instantly available and takes the guess work out of whether its on or off..

Not sure you can get the switch working anyway with this mod..

Erm, I use these all the time and not seen that noticeably latency? I used to play killing in the name...so I'll re-check it as not used it in that way recently.

It could be my playing is so sloppy that I don't notice...:)

I do not think you will get a definitive answer here. We can help with what the parameters mean ( although they are all in the manual) but this will not be a 1-1 correlation with your current effects.

Your question is can I ditch the pedals ? Some people, despite the Kemper having a wealth of capability still use outboard pedals. I absolutely do not because I don;t think they are needed. Some people prefer Digitech whammy and crybaby to built in Kemper effects, I don't. So its very subjective...

Also note arguably the Kemper's weakest point compared to AxeFx and Helix is effects, but the Kemper has the edge on amp sounds ( I am totally generalizing here) but its by no means a restriction for me.

My advice, do some basic research on the actual functions, suffice to say that most effects have masses of parameters, but with regards to sound, you'll need to try it. The Kemper certainly in my view need nothing it terms of distortion and gain effects so your amp sounds are top notch.

If you can afford it, prefer the remote to the FCB1010...