Posts by bassman2112

I'd have my guitars checked and heavily shielded! It's enough that a single weld joint is missing\defective to mess the shielding up.
    It also might be that this issue affects both of your cables.

Also, you did not report if or how the noise changes when you move your guitar around.

:)

Apologies, I have moved the guitar at every angle possible - as well as moving to different rooms while connected - same issue occurs. I would find it strange that the issue would affect both cables, and both guitars though =/

Hey all, I just did a few tests:

One, I tried using my guitar plugged direct into my interface, and running Guitar Rig. On high-gain presets, there is still a noticeable amount of buzzing - so this lends credence to there being some kind of interference present.

Two, I used my UPS/Battery Backup, drove out somewhere very remote (no cell signal, no power lines) and tried the Kemper with direct headphones in. I made sure the UPS was far away so that it itself wasn't providing any kind of interference, and I still heard the buzz.

So..... Bleh, I guess I will just have to live with it?

Edit: Another thing that makes me feel EMI could be a factor - I am in a condo/townhouse. It could be possible that my neighbours are using dimmers or similar. Otherwise, I can't really think of what would be causing the EMI!

Have you tried using the rear input instead of the front? What ab going straight into your interface, routing that to spdif out and connecting to kemper that way and monitoring via headphones plugged into kpa.

I've been monitoring through the Kemper's headphone jack the whole time to reduce the amount of steps in between; but I can try the rear input next time I try it out in a few hours.

Do your guitars have single coil pickups? What specific pickups are they?

Did you use as much gain with your previous rig at the same house?

The guitars both use Humbuckers - one set is active (EMGs) and the other has passive (Burstbuckers). It's literally the same profile with the same settings as what I was using at the previous place, haha.

if you use single coil and have tube lighting or are near computer monitors this can cause buzzing ive had this before with band s who come to record with single coil pickups

I've already eliminated noise sources by bringing the Kemper to rooms which have no electrical interference - I've plugged it into 7 different outlets in 4 different rooms across 3 floors, all of which have the exact same sound no matter what way I turn the instrument or the Kemper.

Thanks for the advice, all!!!

I adjusted the Line Frequency between 60 Hz (fixed), 50 Hz (fixed), 60 Hz (auto), and 50 Hz (auto) with no change.

I also adjusted the ground switches with no change either.

My noise gate has been set to 5.0 for a month or two because, if any lower, that buzz is constantly there if my guitar has any volume.

Hey all,

This link has an audio recording & also describes exactly what I mean; but I will copy & paste the description provided in that link.

This buzz is driving me crazy!

What I have ruled out:

- Guitar (same noise, two different guitars)
    - Cable (same noise, two different cables)
    - Audio interface (headphones direct into Kemper has same thing, also tried two different interfaces)
    - Electronics noise (All lights off, very far away from any computer, cell phone, et cetera - noise occurs wherever I walk)
    - Room in house (Does this all the way downstairs, and on the second floor)

This recording is using my guitar plugged into my Kemper, and the Kemper routed directly into Cubase. No effects of any kind, just a direct feed.

Since this recording, I have updated the firmware on the Kemper, and also adjusted the sensitivity towards distorted vs clean, with no change. I have also gone through multiple high-gain profiles, and the same issue occurs.

I'm really stuck, and could use some advice. I love the Kemper; but I can't record with this noise.

Thanks =)

Hey all,

I've been looking through some threads, but haven't really found an overwhelming consensus as to how people like pulling the Kemper into their DAWs for production.

Some people like using the XLR outs, others like using S/PDIF. I have an Mbox Pro 3, so I have the option of either or - I'm curious what you guys would recommend for the greatest fidelity =)

Thanks!

Welp

You guys have helped make my decision easy =)

I have decided to go for the Kemper, so should hopefully be ordering one within the next week or two. I think the part that makes it most interesting to me is the fact that you can make it sound like an actual amp & cab combination without it sounding "digital." I spent a lot of time listening to various tones that people made using both the Axe & the Kemper, and to me the Kemper always felt more analog.

I guess another plus is the fact that I recently learned they are made by Access! As the owner of a Virus TI2 Polar, this helped seal the deal for me a bit =P

So thanks for all of the input, guys! It has been appreciated

Hey there!

Sorry for the crappy title haha, didn't want to make it horribly long, but concise enough to get the point out there. I definitely don't want a flame-war. I also know this is the Kemper forum, so opinions will likely be more swayed towards that solution.

To the point, though.

I've been doing production for several years now, but I am just not fond of software guitar processors. Guitar Rig, Amplitube, ReValver - they all sound fake to me. I'd like to move away from them and into something hardware. Hardware is an added bonus because CPU usage can be minimized now that the guitar parts can be completely audio, rather than audio + processing.

Sadly, I am not a wealthy man. I am employed, and for the moment can afford either the Kemper or the Axe. It would be cool in the future to combine the two, but is not in the cards for now haha.

Along with not being particularly wealthy, this means I don't have a thousand amps to choose from. I have one which I'm not really keen on profiling (an old Peavey Triple XXX), so profiling my own amps comes with a lower priority. I find the notion that other people have profiled high quality amps intriguing though. Being able to pull up a Fender Tweed (for jazz) or an ENGL (for metal) is really appealing, and seems like something the Axe wouldn't be able to handle quite as well.

I know the Axe is known for having impressive amp matching, but I don't
    know if I'm quite as blown away by that as the potential of profiling. I've also found some of the tones I've heard out of the Axe to be harsh/digital sounding in the mid/high-range.

Anyways, I am curious if you guys think this is a reasonable line of thinking - to use a Kemper with the intention of using other peoples' profiles.

Thanks!

Edit: I should note, I'm in Canada so they would both end up costing more or less the same =)