Posts by Pilotltd

+1. The only exception would be the DIY kit from kemper-solutions (which is built for a pre-defined Palmer cab).

The camper kit works really well - because of the wider frequency range you can get it to sound like a specific guitar speaker. For instance, I could never get an AC30 to sound just right via a cab with Vintage 30's or GT12/75's. Easy now to sound like Celestion Blues :thumbup:

Today i had a couple off lock ups(freezes) when scrolling through the rigs while connected to rigmanager with usb..

I needed to reboot..

Can more people try this..

Can you clarify what you were doing? Were you selecting rigs via rigmanager, using browse knob and/or selecting rigs via kemper, or just scrolling up and down the rigmanager list?

Yeah, it's a pity that the guy didn't get more support.
    He wasn't from Florida BTW. IIRC he was from Madrid.

Been there, tried that in a different life, wasn't music related but CNC machines. Abject fail several times. Unless the basics are right and not missing anything you can spend huge amounts of time adding features then run into a dead end. It's nice to see others attempts as it can save some time on getting a basis on how to interface, but with a moving target like the Kemper you'd have to alter it for every firmware change to accommodate them. It's a time consuming task and without cooperation from the hardware manufacturer it's a hack at best. I don't know any programmers with a Kemper who would rather program than play ^^

Brilliant, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for! As I said, I know the profiles themselves sound great, for me it's more specifically can the built in power amp hang with a valve amp at loud volumes.

With various average power amps I've used its sounded fine low volume but a lot thinner than a valve amp once it's up to full band volume.

Yes it can hang with a valve amp :D Valve amps are same - they sound different at home levels to gig levels, just tweek monitor EQ for gig level.

With the clean profiles i have: Yes.
    With the hi gain profiles i got up to now (Thumas, Deadlight, Sinmix), there's not enough power with my camplifier 360 and Marshall 1960AV. That's 2x180 watts into 2x8 Ohms. On room volume everything sounds nice but doesn't push. To keep up with my drummer i have to crank rigs to 3 o clock, KPA master to 10 of 10 and the camplifier to 9 of ten. Then it pushes. But doesn't sound nice anymore. So high gain 'direct amp profiles' don't seem to push out much level. Therefore we'll need loads of power to make it happen for high gain with a drummer and a real cab. Maybe Kempers own powerrack is enough. Does somebody know? Better would be more loudness in high gain profiles, so i can keep my camplifier, but i don't know if that can be done...
    Another thing is that amplifying a weak signal makes things noisy. So the high gain profiles i have are very touch sensitive and produce unwanted noise easily. They are hard to handle, not what i call a clear and direct metal bite.
    I'm gonna have to wait what future brings, but right now any 50 watts tube head i know could blow my Kemper away easily.
    On FOH or with studio monitors the KPA is still unbeatable, of course.

Something not right there? My powered kemper can blow any of my valve amps away through same cab or speaker. I've a couple of Boogies that are very loud and an original Marshall 2203 100W Superlead that is excessive and the kemper can drown them out.

While Im at it........... I have spoken about this to the powers before but haven't resolved it. When ( and it does happen regardless of whether I drag and drop profiles into Rig Manager or load them via USB into the Kemper ) I switch on and open the Rig Manager and get the splab that some rigs are corrupted, I do what is said and hold the Rig button and Browse button when switching on.
    Problem which is freaking me out is that my "locked " Stomps and "locked" effects are gone and unless I have saved them as a whole under some name or other I have to redo them. Is this correct? thank you.

That would suggest maybe it's one or more of the stomps and effects that are corrupt?

if I can describe it better, I have the feeling you have when you play with a broken jack, when passing little signal and you can not drive well ampli.o type use a discharged battery in the stomp boxes,
    this only happens on average higher range and top end frequency
    Also the sound and absolutely no sustain.

What you got set in Output, page 1 for all the outputs?

I had a few gigs where either the mixing-console or the soundman (or both) failed to understand how work with a stereo signal, and have since switched my KPA to mono for everything except studio recording.

Tested this situation yesterday while doing final tweaks to a PA system install in a music venue. From an audience point of view, live band situation, mono rules. With widely spaced FOH PA it can sound like there's a hole in the middle. It is possible to dial out on the desk or by adding a mono center speaker (monitor pointing out) and mixing in to remove the hole but essentially keep stereo for the studio. Most small venue soundmen haven't the experience or time to set it up properly. I use slight panning to load each input, but to be honest the great majority of an audience wouldn't notice as long as it sounds good where they are stood/sat.

I've also seen the other extreme at a music festival where the sound guys were trying to be clever with a fancy Bose stereo setup, sounded great directly in front of stage in mixing desk area and terrible 30 yards either side. They switched everything to mono after first act following loads of complaints, no complaints after. Guitars are mono instruments anyway ;)

How do you do this?
    Use the same amp model and change gain, or have the same amp profiled 6 times ith differentgain settings?
    From me feeling, increasing gain does not (always) work very good on all profiles... I mostly get a "fizzy" sound and for my feeling a quite "standard gain structure".
    Reducing gain from a profile with higher gain setting (when profiled) works for me.

Just to metion: I am far from beeing an expert and still have to work a lot on my hearing - so my experience might be just my failure... Or lack of knowledge abot gain structures and real amp behaviour. Just want to know, if someone shares this experience...

Crunch - usually just a little gain works. Kemper behaves very much like a real tube amp and reacts nicely to pick attack, harder you play crunchier it gets, also guitar vol is your friend.
    Dirty - more gain and/or a distortion effect. I like the Green Scream in stomps.

You still may need to use an EQ to reduce any fizz and you can adjust levels with it too.

I'm pretty good at getting a nice sound with valve amps but the Kemper is a whole new ball game - so much more in there to tweak and it can be difficult or slow work on your own. I'm lucky I can speed up the process, I've a tame guitarist friend who will play all day if I let him, switch him on, tell him what sort of music to play and I mess with settings until he shouts "That's it" - mostly we agree :)

Seems it does alter output level when cab sim is activated.

I'm going to try a system reset first, if that doesn't work a flash memory wipe. Must be some screwy level setting somewhere.

System reset worked - sort of! Initially after powering up got the bug Lasse posted about. Amp immediately went full master volume with huge farting feedback. Powered off and on again and it seems OK - clipping has gone.

Thankfully speakers seem to have survived 600W for the 4 or 5 seconds it took me to react and power off :)

I've not decided yet whether to go back to 2.7.4 but I'm busy for the next few days setting up a sound system in my local music venue, takes a while as free beer is involved :thumbup:

I don't think there is any way around it. I've manually leveled around 40 Performance Mode rigs for my main gig, and another 20 or so for a side gig. Fortunately, there is some overlap between gigs, or there would be more.

if you have a pool of rigs that you may randomly need to use, this is the fastest way I know how to do it:
    1)balance one clean and one gain sound to each other.
    2) balance all the other clean sounds to the first clean sound.
    3) balance all the other gain sounds to the first gain sound.

I've done same. I set them as Favourites first then levelled them same way. I've only 6 or so amp models I use and I do a clean, crunch, dirty for each mostly.

Fixings are 5mm. I used some 25mm long socket headed screws.

Full range uses both speakers, guitar only cuts the tweeter out.