Posts by kizzer

Much much closer. Interesting that the direct and merged with cab disabled don't sound the same. I'm going to assume that as a result there's a noticeable difference through the real cab when you compare the direct vs merged?

Yes it sounds different.

I have sent my profiles to support as suggested by Christoph a few posts above.

Ok, so retested the Merging technique today.

It must have been user error, I don't believe I pressed Merge Cabinet before saving, so I guess that's where the bassiness came from.

The Merged Profile is very close now, however I hear a drop in weight in the bass frequencies.

I have made an updated video below to show this and have also uploaded my profiles for those who would like to try it themselves. The video shows the Studio Profile versus the Direct Profile miced up versus the Merged Profile into Pro Tools. The first test is with drums and the second is without.

I also did a third test which produced an anomaly. I reamped the guitar through the direct profile direct to Pro Tools and then reamped the same guitar through the Merged Profile with the cab off direct to Pro Tools. Both were sent from the Main out, but sound different. The Merged profile sounds phased and lacks the fizziness of the Direct Profile. Of course they both sound nasty as they are, but I assumed turning off the cab on a merged profile would revert it to a direct profile?

Anyways here's the video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And here are my profiles:

STUDIO PROFILE
    DIRECT PROFILE
    MERGED PROFILE

Cheers for all the input guys!

I'm thinking the merge difference may be the result of user error on my part!

I will have another go of merging the profile again tomorrow and update my findings.

Cheers again :thumbup:

Since you are getting these results, can you share your Merging process?

I make the studio profile and then a direct profile. I copy the cab from the studio profile and paste it into the cab slot in the direct profile and merge.

They always have more bass to my ears. Its not a bad thing, it can always be eq'd out, but it seems to be lagging behind the studio profiles still.

Hi guys!

I have been steadily working through all the scenarios of ways I would like to work with the Kemper and have been knocking it up some tests as I go. This is the 3rd test video I have done so far.

This one compares:

1. The Real Thing
    2. Studio Profile
    3. Direct Profile miced up
    4. Merged profile
    5. Direct Profile with speaker impulse added with cabmaker
    6. Direct Profile with speaker impulse added in Pro Tools

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

All these tests were carried out one after the other and the cab and mic didn't move to ensure consistency.

The one that stands out as being different to me is the Merged Profile, it seems to add a lot more low end, and this has happened to all the merged profiles I have done before, so must be a part of the process.

I bought the Kemper for home recording and the Studio and Direct profiles show me that i'll be able to catalogue all the tones of my amps with all my guitars, so I can re-mic later. I love the variation micing can give to a guitar sound, so Direct Profiling came along at the right time for me!

It was great to see that a pretty accurate impulse response could be made of the speaker cab and used with the Direct Profile. I wouldn't be primarily using IR's, but its handy to know that if I were recording one day with a Direct profile to a cab, but realised a few days later that I had to redo a section I could quickly apply the IR I recorded that day and not have to mess around with trying to match the micing position to the previous take.

I would think an interesting new development for the Merge option within the Kemper would be to have a cab profiling algorithm. This way you could make a Studio Profile, Direct Profile and Cab Profile, then merge the Direct and Cab Profiles. This could make a better Merged Profile????

Previous Tests:
    Kemper Test 1
    Kemper Test 2

A little trick I learned was to record a sine wave beep at 1k -20db.

Even if your not using a click track, put it a bit before your di track on a grid mark.

[Blocked Image: http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/kizzertron/ss%201_zpspmiryb4a.jpg]

When you hit play and record the beep will be recorded onto the next track. From this you can calculate the latency. Use tab to transient on your new track and then holding shift click on the grid line before it where the original beep started, you can now read the latency in the counter at the top (use ms or samples)
    If you've already recorded the track you could highlight the area and change to shuffle mode, hit delete and the track would be back in time with the di track.

[Blocked Image: http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/kizzertron/ss2_zpsellwln39.jpg]

To answer your question however...... I would set up the beep on your di track, hook up your kemper, choose a profile and run the beep through to your second track. Measure the latency and then duplicate the playlist of your original di track and move it up by that amount.

i.e the Kemper has 5ms latency, move your di track up so it starts 5ms earlier. Now all your tracks will be phase accurate.

As I said, duplicate your di playlist, so you keep the original track as it was.

Hope that makes sense!

I find it perfect for my needs. I record at home, so I can get it up to a good level to do that, but believe me this thing is loud!

It would be fine for practice, but gigging it might struggle.

As above.

Great build quality, well packaged. great communication from the guys!

Amp is neutral and sounds perfect to me!

Made a little video a couple of weeks ago comparing the real thing to the direct profile through the Camplifier, it was spot on!

CAMPLIFIER TEST

Thanks for the reply Jim!

Looks good mate, but I found a way that works for me by just monitoring the output direct from the kemper over my speakers and switching between the reference (di on amp speaker output) and the profile. It sounds bad as its the direct output, but as long as they match at that stage I can save the profile and then switch the the amp off and plug the speaker lead into the Camplifier to test.

I have been blown away by how good the direct profiles have turned out! I knocked together a video of some tests I did last week and put it in a thread here:

Kemper Video Link

Cheers again for your help.

Kieran

Hi Everyone.

I've had my Kemper for a month now and have been slowly but surely getting up to speed with how it works, so, thought I would introduce myself to the group.

I've pretty much been a fan of valve amps for most of my life, so the change was a bit weird, but as I dabble in a bit of home recording and have some nice recording gear I could only see the benefits that the Kemper offered. I was especially interested in the direct profiling feature, which is why I finally took the plunge. The Studio Profiling option is great, but I really love the ability to get different sounds from amps via different speaker and micing options.

I have run a few tests over the last week to test the profilers ability to replicate the sound of one of my amps via a studio profile and a direct profile. I di'd my guitars into Pro Tools so that I was able to reamp the same guitar through the real amp, a studio profile and a direct profile. I was astonished by how close each profile was to the original, which has more than satisfied me that the Kemper is the way forward for me.

I have quickly knocked together a video of my tests this week for anyone who would like a listen. As I have written on the YouTube description, these weren't really intended as a tone test, just a way of testing the Kemper. And as I said I am more than satisfied with the results, so will be spending the next month carefully getting studio and direct profiles of all the sweetspots of all my amps with all my guitars. A link to the video is at the bottom of this post.

Thankyou guys and Mr Kemper!

Kieran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UZ8cH9ODE

Hi
    I was in the same boat as you, looking for something for bedroom volumes. I bought my Kemper head last month and have bought a Camplifier studio to go with it:

http://www.shop.ritteramps.de/…PA/Camplifier-Studio.html

So far, so good! 25 watts that can be used at 4, 8 and 16 ohm's, so it can be used with a variety of cab's and speaker combinations. It doesn't have a fan either, so is perfectly quiet and its very reasonably priced.

I have been trying out direct profiling this week and it sounds great up against a Rocker 30 into the same cab!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm expecting my Kemper through the post early next week!

I am really interested in the direct profiling feature and have also bought a solidstate camplifier so I can play my direct profiles into my choice of cab/speakers.

I was just wondering how you guys have been dealing with testing/refining of the profile? Ideally I would like to test my profile against the real thing into the same cab and the only way I could think of doing this would be with an amp switcher such as the Radial Tonebone:

http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

The Radial one switches between an Solidstate and Tube head, which seems perfect, but are there any other options for this procedure?

Thanks for your help

Kieran