Posts by karlic

I'm pretty sure it's psychological. Our ears are notorious for playing tricks on our brains and this is just another example.

Wherever the sound comes from first will always sound louder, just like the Delay Widener. That is how we detect where as sound comes from.

The DT effect It must start as the Delay Widener and then manipulate delay time and pitch over the right channel. Either being able to boost volume or brightness might help, but there is always some compromise and I think Kemper have done wonders with another free update! The TC Mimiq is no better.

The panorama control is a good workaround and surely you don't use DT on all the patches? I would have thought the main rhythm sound is the point of it.

An option to boost the effect side of the DT by a couple of db would be a good addition by the sound of things though.

I would never see a DT effect as being intended for a recording situation. It is always better to actually double track the part than simulate it. DT is really only a live effect for a single guitar band and in that situation some phase issues probably aren’t going to be noticeable.

Yes. All these type of effects are just to help bolster the sound for a one guitar band live.

Once you have played a part once in the studio, it should be fairly routine to play it again and get a much more natural result than an ADT effect.

The wideners are most useful for imitating double tracked rhythm guitars. Unless it is a specific effect, I don't find reverb to be useful in a live situation on rhythm parts. It only serves to blur the sound and you are playing into a room anyway.

The delay widener is a fixed delay on the opposite side from the original signal. Mimiq/Double tracker probably has some variation in the delay time and pitch to give the impression of 2 guitarists. Both are subject to problems if the FOH isn't working in full stereo.

Not with digital profilers it is not. They can update it in respect to their programming cost , and give us more value by creating new more versatile eq sections, that take up less effect slots. If I have a reference sound , and the eq space I can make a iic+ sound like any iic+ I want given that I can get it react the way that I want during the refining process alone. If Kemper gives us the options we ask for then I do not have to spend more money on the overpriced versions of these physical devices , I can spend that money on Kemper gear instead. I have bought two near mint condition Triaxis preamps why would I spend more money to buy more Triaxis profiles? The only thing it would make sense to spend more money on is Impulse responses, so I can cheaply afford all the speaker curves I want. Given the argument that no two amps are the same they should just give us equalization that we ask for so long as it is cost effective , and we can own virtual versions of long lost amplifers , and equalize them to bring out our favourite aspects of them in our playing space.

I wouldn't argue against there being a more expansive eq at all. Maybe that will come one day and the Kemper is barely recognisable from what was originally released as we get more and more value from gear I bought nearly 7 years ago.

One thing you should consider is that you might be missing the best of the Kemper if you look to use IRs. For me the thing that sets it aside from other modellers is the way cabinet sounds in a full profile. Try and set up those amps you like with a cabinet and take the whole rig.

When I first went to Kemper, this is what I used to do.

After borrowing an FRFR for a few weeks, it sounded terrible to me and I took my Mesa 4x12 for live shows. The full profile went to FOH and then I monitored through the Mesa with cab off on the monitor output. Later we went to in ears with the band and I am fully utilising the Kemper without anything else attached, apart from wireless.

That is why we have five band equalizers, some equalizers even have master q settings. The higher your q value the more specific your selectable frequency may be. So you can adjust to taste during the time of profiling which takes less than 5 minutes which is hardly time for those components to drift in most cases.

I can't speak for Alan, but I think he meant that it is hard to accurately replicate the 5 band eq, as the sound differs from amp to amp. Also the the components change over time.

I have occasionally stacked more eqs to deal with problem frequencies and you could do that to create your 5 band. In the end though, the strength of the Kemper is that you can just find a more suitable profile instead. There are thousands out there and modelling just takes all your playing time up.

The triaxis is not a mark series amp, and I do not see why they cannot add a larger selection in eq presets, when they decide to do so. If they can add a tone stack pre or post gain they can , add a second eq post gain , or post amp pre cab , or post cab, in respect to the cost of their programming, or processing.

Apologies. I was thinking about the actual 5 band graphic and not the Triaxis rack.

One thing you should be conscious of is that the actual frequencies on the Mesa EQ aren’t actually the numbers on the front panel. They just chose rough numbers that were close to the actual frequencies for simplicity. Also, as an analog circuit where components have tolerances, the EQ frequencies and Q can fluctuate from unit to unit and drift over time. Therefore, trying to target down to tenths place for Hz is a pretty pointless exercise. Modelling your Mesa 5 band would be close but not identical to modelling one of mine. Having said that, and EQ that approximates the Mesa 5 band would be nice to have.

That's interesting to know and makes a lot of sense.

I think the basic problem with this request is that is veers closer to modelling than profiling. You would have to profile a Mark amp without the EQ to authentically use it. Available profiles were made with the EQ already set as part of the sound

This is meant to be the chorus from the Roland JC120 and it works really well. I guess it wouldn't be close to that idea if there was a wet/dry parameter. There are plenty of other options with mix controls if you want that.

For recording I'm mostly using the 6 tracks setup or reamping setup.
    So all Channels are used. Sometimes I'm not recording the Delay/Reverb WET effects.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I see your problem now. I think I am using the Kemper in a much simpler way in the studio.

Two quick comments:
    1) I know a guy with a Boss GT8. And he swears by a Nobles OD in front of it. Amazing tone always.

2) A speakers output may change a lot at loud volumes. The speaker will go into mechanical compression (ie have trouble moving back and forth linearly for the volume). So you get some compression and a mid boost, I think, when the speaker is driven. May sound thicker, more present, and be more responsive to touch. Or you can have it too loud and it sounds like crap, but will ascend you to Valhalla :)

At volume you get the impression of a bass and treble boost, which is why you will always need to put more mid in a sound intended for live use. Wheresthedug explains this earlier with the hifi analogy.

Some Kemper patches sound amazing for me at low volume, but they don't usually translate so well when loud. I always adjust tones used on a recording for live use.

Don't know how the Kemper works but you don't need to detect the pitch in order to shift it down a fixed interval. Basically the transformation is the same no matter the input frequency.

This has been discussed a few times on this forum and I don't think it is as simple as that. If it were that easy, other modellers would be able to do as well as Kemper or better. Even the dedicated Digitech Drop is no better.