Posts by flyingheelhook

I found this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…ucking-guitar-pickup.html

Dimmer switches are DEFINITELY part of my problem. My house is filled with the damn dimmer switches. I hate them for many other reasons - all associated with my wife's obsession with using them to dim rooms to the point of 'what's the point?'.

Without actually having to go through having an electrician analyze the situation I would be a year's salary that if I could fix this, 99% of my noise issues would go away.

I'm reasonably certain I have the same problem at my house as I did not experience it in the two gigs I played since acquiring the amp. I don't have a solution yet so will be following this thread and will share if I come across one.

So the other night at my first gig with the Kemper, I experienced the following: after a period of inactivity (between sound check and first set, and between set break and second set) when I went back to play, no sound was coming out of my Kemper. My normal procedure is to turn the volume off on my guitar and leave the amp 'as is'. In both these instances, I had to reboot the Kemper to be able to play. It did cause a bit of stress as I wasn't sure if something had gone wrong and if rebooting would fix it.

Is this a feature, a bug, a time-out setting or what?

I think in my case it was a combination of issues that can be readily addressed once I have the time and opportunity. Keep in mind I play more of a dynamic rhythm style with 'tasteful' fills than any lead whatsoever. I should never be front and center of the mix - but I should be heard clearly. I am introducing new technology into a band that is both old school, while also facing scrutiny as 'the new guy' who plays a more dynamic style (see above) than his predecessor. I purposefully chose to err on the side of being too quiet than too loud for my stage monitor/cabinet since this was a constant sore point when I used a tube amp. In that sense, I think I won some converts (including the sound guy) and stayed under the radar with my lead guitarist in terms of stage volume.

The real challenge is finding the time and garnering the patience of the rest of the band to allow me to tweak the profiles in a full practice situation - obviously I couldn't do that at a live show. I went in with five profiles and while I did make the statement above, I was really happy with how it went over all. (two clean Dumbles, high gain Fuchs, Jazz chorus from M. Britt and a '74 JVM Marshall).

Essentially just need to find the right equalization such that I am coming through and not getting totally squashed by the noise cancellation frequencies. I'll find the right place and post the house youtube feed for feedback - can anyone point me to the right forum to do that?

Just wanted to close this one out with a summary in case someone else has the same or similar issues.

I was able to upgrade my Mac from OS X 10.5.8 > OS X 10.6.8 > OS X 10.7. I was able to d/l, install and run Rig Manager so at least up to this point, this was a viable solution. I haven't played with Rig Manager at all though so not sure if it is clear sailing from here or I will have other issues to deal with.

I say other issues because inadvertantly, upgrading the OS created a lot of problems for me since I was running other 'legacy' software. Pain in the ass but so be it. If anyone goes down this path and needs any input, please feel free to reach out.

Here is the scenario: I play rhythm guitar in an improvisational americana band (also known as a 'Grateful Dead cover band'). While dynamics during a gig vary greatly, my levels are generally static - I normally am not messing with a volume pedal or adjusting my volume on my guitar - I tend to 'set it and forget it' and adjust my playing to the dynamics required. However, there are times when the entire five-piece is pushing it and I get lost if I don't do something to boost. I used to accomplish this with a boost pedal...

Now I have the Kemper <evil grin>...

Lets assume I have disconnected the master volume from the direct out to make sure that I am only affecting my monitor if I make changes to my stage volume using the master volume. Lets assume I have already worked with my sound guy and set a good level for the direct out.

If I use a boost pedal in my rig(s) set up, will that boost also affect what is going to the soundboard such that it does increase my direct out volume? Is this a good approach for this scenario or should I consider something different? (stomp box approach - I know I could use eq, volume pedal, re-connect direct out to master volume, etc. but would prefer something a little more constrained and calibrated and consistent)

Thoughts?

Thin and harsh? Likely the Manual parameter is set too high. Did you check this?

I thought I played with 'all' of the settings but honestly started getting confused/overwhelmed as there were more than I was used to and I wasn't getting what I expected when I did certain adjustments. Thats why I thought it better to walk away and ask some questions. I will try that next, thanks.

also be aware that there are extra parameter showing up when you select 'touch'

filter/wah up = low manual, positive pedal range
    filtet/wah down = high manual, negative pedal range

have you tried the presets?

I think you answered the Bob Weir version with the wah down - I will try that next chance I get. I *think* I went through the different presets but am hoping to spend more time focusing on this in the next day or two as after my first foray trying to dial it in, I thought it better to move on to some other higher priority needs for getting gig-ready. I'll try to take notes so I can ask more specific questions. This is definitely a more sophisticated tool than I had ever hoped for and I am confident that once I understand the parameters and presets I'll be able to dial it in.

I could use some help. I am trying to get an 'Auto-Wah' sound a.k.a. Envelope (Following) Filter similar to Mutron-type envelope filter. Notably, a sound Jerry Garcia used quite often.

Also, the reverse sound, of the pedal going the other way which Bob Weir sometimes used.

I know to use the 'Touch' parameter but so far my attempts to dial it in using the others have been weak at best. Sounds too thin and harsh - is this the Wah itself and should I try an equalizer before/after the Wah or are there better ways to dial it in. Any help appreciated, thanks.

So as a follow up I did determine that one of my ground wires had come loose and re-soldering it appears to have fixed the overall issue in terms of the guitar itself. I am still a little concerned about how much noise passes through and so will have to figure that out later I guess.