Posts by Nikos

I guess we can expect new reverbs.Specially the long awaited spring reverb..

As much as I was against everything that could make the profiler buggy and slow just a year ago..the new delays and the future upgrades of the other fx will need some editor.Sooner or later.The current capabilities are already to complex(for me)..I already had moments I was "confused" about which of the 3 delays I was tweaking at the moment.

Yes I know,I know..it is because I am an old fart with caveman-UI-understanding but dont forget that most guitar players are only slightly more intelligent (just two strings more to be exact) than bass players.. ;)

I admire you guys.This thread shows how great this forum is indeed.Some guys here have the endless patience of angels..

Sad enough I dont belong to this fine part of the human species..I actually must be the (by far) worst diplomat on earth.

OP should have done from the beginning "serious testing" with "serious tube amps" and speakers and not asking the people in this blog to do this for him only to be already in the "I am ready to get over this alleged magic box"-stance he has shown from the beginning.

Anyway..there is still a slight chance this OP started this thread in honesty and not for resons of product bashing.I am out of this thread because there I feel that 12 pages for this issue is much to much for me.

Dear SonicExporer..

You have a Splawn;And finally you will profile it "tomorrow";

Honestly..do you realize that there are some guys here in this thread who have invested in good will some considerable time to help you while you are not serious at all;you make wild,unproven and extremly ridiculous claims about Kemper giving handouts to get rave reviews;

When you asked the guys here to make profiles of "hotrod marshalls" did you ever thought about to profile your own Splawn because your "40 years of recording experience" should be enough to tell you that there is a tiny little difference between a 5 watt amp which does not have enough balls to kick any serious cabinet you need to get at least somehow serious "marshall hotrod"-results and a 100w Splawn you call your own;

@DonPetersen

Yes,it is a great profile.But it is not first which comes to my mind if I would like to have a "real hotrod" marshall..the Golub is a great profile for crunch-stuff maybe adding some OD/DIST-in front of it.I just think that OP has more modded pre-highgain in mind than some vintage crunch with OD/DIST-pedals in front of the pre..therefore I would recommend Splawns..they have these hotrod-sounds "from birth".Plus the creator of these amps has also a fine approach of interpretating these classic marshall-sounds into present time adding better EQs to his amps.If some of these Splawns in the RE do not fit into what OP is looking for with the KPA than nothing will do it for him.

@SonicExporer

I would recommend you to try some Splawn-profiles from the RE.Specially the Nitros over there.I am a "hotrod-marshall" freak(only with 20 years of recoding experience but however) and two of my tubs amps are a 81 2204´and Steavens-Poundcake IA..cant get more hotrod-marshall than this and I can assure you that there are some great profiled splawns which are as hotrodmarshall as it can get too..

If this also does not work out for you it would bring me to the conclusion that you will not be happy with any modeler for simulating miced marshalls.And after 40 years of recording experience (respect..you must be over 60 years old and still rocking..great guy.. ;) ) with tube amps you maybe should stay with these..

greetings

It is not new all all.Years ago I had a student who used something similiar.And even by that time it was old.

Anyway..Personally I believe strongly that the reason for "early frustration" learning the very first chords is not where to find the notes to play.The main reason for "first chords-frustration" is the teacher who does not care to teach this in the right way..more specific:If the student does not learn from the first try to put his fingers on/off the fretboard simultanously while practicing the chord it will end up in early frustration since "searching" for each note of the chord one by one is the most frequently made mistake(together with the wrong positioning of the thumb) by any beginner and you need a teacher who not only teaches this but also "gets angry" when it is not done in the right way from the very first chord-lesson.. ;)

I always try to look as "evil" as &%$§ when the student starts to do the "finger by finger-search" and the only thing I say is something like "I dont want to see this ever again"..

It always works fine..specually with little kids.. :/:D

This fretzep-thing may be helpfull for scales.

@MementoMori

In general this "first generation" did a lot of experiments.It was not only because the electric guitar was "young"..they had also open minds and were open to all music from all around the world.They knew very well that "rockmusic" at its beginning was just a mix of irish and african folk and that there are many other combinations out there to discover.This is something I miss since the 90s and more so today.During the last time I did some research for todays rock guitarists who do some "experimental stuff" and all I found was a guitar hero from the "deepest 80s" who mixes rockstuff with japanese music..yes I am talking about Marty Friedman.

Back to our "marketing"-issue..imagine rock music of the future with much more influences/sounds,scales,modes and a music instrument market which requires much more sounds than just "electric guitar clean/crunch/distortion"..maybe a overdriven Sitar;And a "downtuned oud"; <X

We just dont know.Since there is nobody doing this who gets the "marketing" of the industry..but for me personaly this is where I see the "future" far away from the old stereotypes and cliches of the "rock guitar player" o the last decades with his major/minor/pentatonic-boredom.

@MonkeyPeanutButter

I honestly hope you are right with what you say and that these racist extremists everywhere in europe dont get more and more influence during the very next years.I honestly do.But as social inequality rises so will these people gain votes and souls.IMO young lads everywhere have much more reason to "rebel" today against all this madness than any other postwar generation before yours.But this is ofcourse just my opinion.And other than that totally OT.

I never saw these old rockheroes as rebels. And I believe neither do any of the other people in their early 20s.
    For me they are people who made it in music.

This is a very different issue if we just talk about "marketing"..let alone that maybe these "rockheroes" are not rebels for you and your generation but they have been exactly this way back then for their parents,the church,politics and the societies in general. ;)

Today times are different..you can do everything and nothing shocks anymore when we know that the parents today are the exact same kids who shocked their parents in the late 60s/early 70s.. :D

Anyway..

We do have many musicians that do things that haven't been done before.

Like who;

There's still a ton of romanticism for old guitar heroes, no doubt, and these are still some of the guys who either revolutionized certain types of playing or are now synonymous with a brand.

Exactly.You nailed it.

Now..do we have any players today who have the guts to at least try being somehow a "rebell";Doing things exclusivly their own way while they dont care about anything;Like Hendrix,Santana or Slash did;

Or do we have today kids who are just educated in school & universities to become the next "soldier for career" without any desire for being a "rebell" at all;Kids who think that being a "Hippster" is the highest degree of being allowed by the society for showing their "desire for revolution";

Actually the whole PR of our times is about to be "mediocre".We live in a mediocracy.

And you cant do any "marketing" with this spirit.And this is the reason we still see Slash on 99 out of 100 posters for Gibson & Marshall for the last 25 years and not a Bonamassa.

Being a "rebell" is actually the "basic requirement" for doing revolutionary things against old thinking,old ways of doing art & music and I honestly would like to see more of this "rebellion" today with the kids.As long as this is not the case everything will continue to sink and fall more and more into stereotypes and clichés..most of all this is the case for music and specially "rocknroll".

WHY would the PR people think that a demo of cheesy compressed 80s hair metal tapping will impress people?

For the same reason the same PR guys once in the mid-90s thought it would be a good idea to kill the image of "skilled musicians" of the 70s supergroups and the 80s "guitar/drums/bass"-heroes and selling "unskilled" boygroups/grunge/techno/gangsterrap as the "next big thing" for the next 20 years.. ^^

The result today is that everything has become just a mix of idiotic clichés/stereotypes and big confusion.Specially when it comes to all issues about electric guitar.

"SmartShredding" made me curious...and indeed.. :thumbup:

@DoZ
    I like how you use the modes.Nice Mixolydian-style jam.Very tastefull.I love it.

Actually the second instrumental in just a few days (the other one is from michaelmellner) which I really like.And both on this forum done with the profiler.Enough said..

After all the "blindshreddings" I have seen during the last few years on youtube (and which sound all the same) these "smartshreddings" give me a reason to hope.Nice music.And I mean this..nice music!

Based on Kemper's new Facebook cover photo, the new thing might be the cabinets.

Does look like an 4x12 size cab..last year it looked more than single 12"-cabs.

Though I have doubts that Christoph will just do this:One more 4x12 guitar cab either with "normal speakers" which colour the sound or "simple" FRFR in a 4x12-size cabinet.

There must be more than meets the eye.. :whistling:

As @Michael_dk said..this is very,very "interesting".

The DXR sounds indeed "boxy" when playing on a silent stage.But it is great for all kinds of "doing loud rock"-stuff..my beloved TopJimi-vintage marshalls sound great with it as do rectifier-style lead sounds etc.I still have problems to get used to it when I use creamy Vox-style-profiles with it at low volumes.

Actually for more "silent stages" (like playing only with an singer with his acoustic) where I need a more "brillant" & "more defined" sound I still think about to get me a more HiFiish kind of Monitor like the EV-ZLX-12Ps.

Yeah..LP.PAF-type bridge humbucker,cranked amp (JTM/PLexi-type o thing)..but most of all you need to play in way "squeezing the tone" like Billy always does with a mix of his peso-dime-pick and his nail..he is actually "the master of pinch-harmonics" and controlling the "highs" even playing on the lower strings and knows with any type of amp how to get "his" unique sound.Afaik Billy still uses just the (some say "modded") Marshall-JMP-1 for his live gigs.Enough said..

I found some nice Twin/JTM/Plexi-profiles I use for my "squeezing-trebly-harmonic rich"-try to sound (intuetively since I heard Billy for the first time at the age of 14) what I have in my brain for the first few ZZTop-albums..but there are many other fine proifles I found for this style of rock.Carr profiles (specially the S6 "brown") form TAF some nice Bogner-Helios-profiles (cant remember which ones).In general I would say that you need an tube amp which has a lot of treble while sounding "very warm" specially in the higher frequencies.

But most of all Billy is all about the way he picks and "squeezes" the notes while using his unbelievable vibrato to celebrate it. ;)