Posts by Dudemanbrother

My first vote goes to Fender. It’s simple and the benchmark by which every “inspired” T style guitar is compared to. For me, the best feeling and playing T style, without Fender on the headstock, has been Nash Guitars. They do different relic levels from closet find to dumpster fire ^^ but they play wonderfully and sound incredible.

Do a RE search for Marshall, and browse by Gain: Highest to Lowest. You should be able to find plenty of midrange heavy profiles with those amps. There are also a ton of amps based on a modded Marshall circuit, so you could search out some of those as well.

Another option is to turn up the midrange and treble on a profile; and place a studio EQ in an effects slot to notch out any nasty frequencies that are caused by the increases.

If you want to try more paid profiles: Sinmix, Live Ready Sound, ML Sound Lab, and Tone Crate are all worth checking out

Why would low values of Pure Cabinet help in this situation? I see the opposite.

For some reason, when using high gain profiles the pure cab can get strange artifacts and a fizzy treble. Usually when it’s off it is a noticeable difference, and some profiles really smooth out once it goes just up to 0.1; yet others sound best off. There obviously can be profiles and setups that work with pure cab at higher levels, but I find pretty consistently that 0.1 or off works best for high gain.

Turn Pure Cab off. Not just set to 0, but completely off, and see if that helps. When it’s off globally: I find it works at 0.1 on some profiles, and completely off with others.

If a Boss Katana is giving you better dirty tones, it’s possible that you inadvertently saved or locked some undesirable settings. Have you done a soft reset?

A Kemper profile doesn’t require much DSP at all. There’s no indication that it is at the end of its life cycle. If you want a modeling device then get the Fractal. If you want a profiling device then get the Kemper. The Kemper will still be able to capture real amp/cab/mic setups 10-15 years from now. They are always adding features with software updates and that hasn’t slowed down in 7 years.

You’ll likely have to try a few settings and use what sounds best to you. My Mesa 2:90 has instrument and line level inputs so my output settings vary depending on which I plug into. My preference is to run the signal at 0db into the line input and use the power amp volume to control the loudness. Some power amps have a sweet spot at higher volume, so it might make more sense to run a low Kemper level into a hotter 20/20. Just try as many combinations as possible to figure out what sounds best.

Mine all suffer like this as well. I have resorted to using a Studio EQ in the stomp slot and another in the X slot to remedy it. I usually end up cutting a lot of low end (150-225hz in some cases) as well as finding a few mid frequencies that get boosted and sound terrible.

I also like to take the profiles into my DAW and get a visual representation of the EQ; tweak it until I like it, and then use the same values on the profile. I use the stomp EQ to cut the low end, cap the high end, and notch out the nastiest frequencies. I use the x EQ to bring a bit of presence/punch back into the profile, as well as notch out any extra nastiness I couldn’t get with the first.

Edit: forgot to add: if definition is defaulted at 10 it also adds quite a bit of that funky sound, so roll that down to somewhere around 8. Also, when refining high gain: strike a chord and then hit refine. Let the chord sustain and end the refine. Then keep doing that with different chords until it sounds right. The pick attack seems to cause the definition to default to 10 and sounds awful.

If you can give a bit more info on what you’re hearing with the high gain profiles that you don’t like, then you can get answers on how to fix it. Simplest way is to simply start trying different profiles. Log into the Rig Exchange, and search for an amp you’re familiar with, and store the ones you like.

You could try placing the Orange in the Kemper loop, placing the loop in one of the Stomp slots, and shutting off the amp section for that profile (not sure if that would disable the loop stomp or not) Alternatively, you might try to make a profile where you simply run a cable from the Direct Output/Send into the Return Input to get a non-colored platform for running the Orange in the Kemper loop.