Posts by Dean_R

.... It is in my humble opinion not right to úse terms like for example 'whining' or 'derailling'. It is just not what Ingolf ever has done,...

Well I'm curious to know what you think or how you feel about the thread starter @fredrikn reading Ingolf post in reply to his thread using disrespectful language "utterly useless".

I personally would apologize to fredrikn, plain and simple regardless of how many of ingolf friends liked his offensive post. I'm sure infolf is and has been very helpful and a great member to many, but that doesn't not mean that he didn't or isn't posting to derail this thread. SO he's tired of the topic because he's been around here long ago, but there are many new users added everyday and many new potential new users who could find this topic interesting.

In case you missed it:

The video is utterly useless, as is this thread.

are you seriously posting a sample rate comparison on soundcloud also know as one of the worse sounding file streaming services available? the stream at 128 kbps and rumours are that they recently changed to a 64 kbps Opus codec for playback. please makes the files available in a linear format instead.

Yes your'e right, my initial thought process was that if I change only one variable (sample rate project option in the DAW 48 and 41) while all the other processes are the same, if there is a difference it will still be heard, but I will provide lossless wave files because there's definitely more detail in those.

Well, we simply learn.And from experience how all the recent 'vs' debates turned out,..

So what's the big deal about a heated debate about hotly debated discussion topic? If you're unable to handle it or willing to participate, common sense would suggest that you can ignore it instead of whining or crying about it.

.., including your own redundancy to argue all the same ad nauseam

If I participate in a thread, I start by actually reading the posts and when I contribute I like to contribute more than just one word "Welcome" as you do without addressing any of the questions.

I'm far less redundant than your single "Welcome" . I'm surprised you haven't put in your signature yet !!

there's indeed only one educational thing about this thread: avoid it.

That's the extent of what you learned due to the extent of your bias and inability to handle contested topics, so you simply not only chose to ignore, you try to bully others into ignoring the topic you don't like/

Still I'm entitled to point out how useless it is whenever I feel like it.

Of course you are entitled to derail threads you don't like by even attacking the topic. You're a guitar player right? I know how big of an ego some of those guys can have, many of my friends are guitar players. :)

However, you might want to get back to the topic of this thread and maybe explain some of the advantages that the kemper has that made you buy the Kemper, even if you had bought it just because it was actually significantly cheaper That would actually count as some respect to forum rules and also those who started this thread who are also entitled to discuss whatever they feel like as long as it doesn't violate forum rules and guidelines.

It seems that many simply don't want to discuss the topic because they think it's a waste of time so you get comments like "buy both." and this thread is "useless"

I don't see the big deal of why this topic has become a taboo and the only explanation is that some elitists on both sides decided that they're unable to read any criticism even in the form of discussion of their device so they don't see the value of this thread for those who can afford only one device.

Yes there are many out there who want to purchase only "one modeler" due to financial reasons.

If everyone can afford both plus everything from strymon and Eventide, then this thread would be useless,

Many potential future owners of either device wouldn't mind honest opinions of why chose one over the other and that's how I see this thread.

I think it's weird why companies Like Kemper amps include "other gear" sub forum for this specific purpose of making such discussions not realizing that most of their active forum users are not even able or willing to discuss why they chose to buy their device.

Maybe this whole "other gear" is really useless because quite a few active members will only chime in to point out how "useless" a topic is instead of simply not participating, when in reality it could be one of the most useful and educational topics.

Lots of people, myself included, have spoken to why we like the Axe. You are not “puzzled”. You simply refuse to accept that anyone can have an opinion that differs to yours.

Well all I said is that and impulse response is missing critical data about the speaker impedance, speaker saturation, and cabinet resonance frequency which in the real world affects how the Power amp section of a tube amp reacts in a significant way. Kemper profile includes all that information accurately, meanwhile all other modelers use approximation because it's almost impossible to have the information in many situations. These are facts and you can feel free to fact check this.

You on the other hand responded by attacking me personally instead of responding to the specifics of what I said. How about telling us what you use for impedance or resonant frequency when you use external impulse responses. Maybe you don't care about the impedance or cab resonance, which won't be a big deal, It's a discussion and there's no need to get defensive or offensive. If you happen to know the effect of impedance on how tube amp response, maybe you can chime in, if not, then you might learn something if you do small search instead of using personal attacks to make a point irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I'm sure many have said this before, the current available quality for even the basic audio interfaces is good enough for whatever it is that anyone wants to pursue for the most part. The user and or performers are and will be the most crucial elements. On the other hand you can also be surrounded by elite professionals and no one would pick that the bass was recorded out of tune and that might go undiscovered until the mix down or mastering stage. :D

Sample rate is no longer an issue of concern to me thanks to all those who educated me on the issue.

IAs I pointed out in another thread today, as one lowers overall volume, cabinet resonances' levels as well as impedances are reduced, including those involving the inertia of the voice-coil mechanism and speaker cone/s (heavy magnet, air-pressure resistance to cone movement and so on), and thus behaviour varies with both the frequency content as well as input volume (to the cabinet)...

I think that's hugely relevant and meaningful. Sometimes I find it puzzling that people who purchase the Kemper still continue to experiment with impulse responses ignoring the huge advancement in the profiling process as it relates to capturing the cabinet and power amp response without knowing what the need for actual measurements of these critical factors .

Of course we're just talking about accuracy and authentic amp sound. Missing the impedance, resonance, and speaker saturation and interaction effect on the tube amp response and sound without getting that correctly and settling for approximation is significant.

The video is utterly useless, as is this thread.

The thread can be as educational and useful at the level of professionalism of those who contribute to the thread., I's a very relevant question to many who might be considering either device. I understand your point though as it seems that many are unable to professionally discuss certain topics.

To be honest FAS emulates speaker saturation and impedance curve.Neverthless, it is always a simulation, so it can be more or less accurate.

They do, but you have to input those numbers manually, and if you use an external IR, there's no way of accurately knowing what the numbers are so it's usually approximated and even then, the algorithm or modeling is subjective to a certain degree based on the programmers ears.

AXE FX III is still unable to model the impedance curve and the speaker/amp interaction which makes it less authentic. Currently Kemper is the only modeler that accurately captures the whole thing including speaker interaction and speaker saturation, An impulse response used by the AXE FX has zero information about Speaker saturation. A kemper profile has all that. Y

You make your own conclusion based on the facts stated above,

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, next time you buy impulse responses, make sure to ask the seller about what to do about impedance curve or resonant frequencies of the corresponding cabinet and whether they measured and can provide you with that information,

Of course I would use it just as an unexpensive and easy-to-setup backup. I'm actually thinking of getting the radar and one of their micro preamps, or just the micro preamp which in case my kemper failed I could use with my camplifire and my small 1x12 cab... Or maybe it'd be better to just get the mooer G-200... I just don't know if there will be much of a difference (soundwise) between the g-200 and the micropreamp+radar...
    I think I'll post a new thread, thanks!

I'm also interested in the Micro preamps as backup. They are digital and so is the g200 but the youtube clips i heard, the Micros sound better but my guess is they should sound the same, then again I don't know if the g200 allows the preamp alone or it's mixed with some power amp simulations already which can explain the difference.

You can get really good results with real amp and any impulse player. I've tried quite a few times and got great results, but then I profiled those sounds and they were still good, but when I try other Profiles using real mics. there's definitely a slight edge. So, for back up it can be great but it seems that I keep coming back to the same conclusion when I first bought the Kemper. The quality and variety already in the Kemper is unmatched so going back to other solutions ends up costing me time in experimentation and additional purchases that really are not needed.

If Sony tomorrow comes out soon and introduced a player that has ridiculously high sampling rate player in the thousands let's say, and we realize that it's so much better than CD quality, even though CD quality seems to be good enough as many aren't complaining, would that mean that all the music recorded at 44.1KHZ was really lacking fundamentally.

Is it possible that the whole industry is keeping this 44.1KHZ standard is really crappy if compared with much higher sample rates but the only reason it's kept is because it seems good enough and money is being made Period.

I do remember reading years ago that Sony was planing such a player but it seems that CD quality a really outdated format is still alive and well and is here to stay for the foreseeable future just because it's barely adequate in comparison to what's actually possible.

In either case in multi track situations a marginal improvement can be significant and to the summing bus.

POD 2.0 sampling rate was 32KHZ and based on science you can argue that a guitar processor doesn't need anymore than that. right?

Then why is the internal sampling rate of the Kemper is over 700KHZ?? if higher sampling rates don't add any benefits?

Was this just another marketing gimmick then? I'm genuinely interested in a reasonable explanation.

this is from an interview with CK

Can you talk about what’s under the hood (processors, speeds, sampling rate, A/D conversion etc)?
    The main DSP is a Freescale DSP (formerly Motorola) running at an equivalent of 400 MHz speed. The code consists of tens of thousands of lines of pure assembler code. The global sampling rate is 44.1 kHz, while the internal sampling rate is partially much higher. The algorithm for the tube simulation runs on more than 700 kHz sampling rate (!).

https://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

Why is it that audio interfaces are developed to support 192KHZ sample rate if 44.1KHZ is equal? Are they wasting time and selling us snake oil?

Why do plugins upsample internally to higher sample rates when editing to perform calculations?

If some are ok with compromise, regardless whether it's little or small compromise, that's fine and, if others want to eek the last possible incremental benefit from using higher sample rates, that should also be fine.

To be honest I think it's best if you give the name of a popular songs you consider metal and another that you consider Rock as the categories inter-lap and there's many levels or sub genres. My guess is that you would get better responses that way instead of saying just rock or metal, unfortunately.

What some might consider good metal profiles, to me personally would be considered harsh ice pick fizz-land anemic tones and what I consider good metal might be considered by others to be very mid heavy boomy dark tones.

The good news is that there are definitely good profiles for all types of genres.

Thank you very much for listening, You certainly make some very valid observation as sample 2 was a result of the higher sample rate in the project setting , 48k instead of 44/1 everything else was equal including the mix down. as both files were converted to same MP3 format.