Posts by BigYinUK

Are you unsatisfied with the overall sound of your profile or are you unsatisfied with the difference between the profile and the physical amp/cab when you A/B the sounds?

Unsatisfied with the profile. Using a paid for profile, I can get very close to the "real amp" sound. Just disappointed with my profiling attempts :)

Hi all

I had a crack at profiling my Marshall Jubilee 2558 and was a bit disappointed with the results.

I used SM57s and the resulting profile was very dull, compressed and lifeless. What am I doing wrong? Mike positioning?

Paid for profiles like TMS/Tone Junkie etc sound totally different.

I know this is going to be a can of worms lolz :)

Thanks

Hi all

Thanks to all for contributions toward getting me started on my Kemper. I'm now very very happy with it indeed :P

I bought a powered rack, the remote and a Mission EP1-KP. My "On-stage" speaker is a Marshall 1936 with two Celestion F12-X200s - wired in series to present 16ohm to the Kemper (@300w) so hopefully I won't blow a driver.

Totally blown away as to how close to that "in the room" sound that lot gets me.

Profiles from: M Britt, Guido, Tone Junkie, TMS Profiles, a couple of the Kemper profiles as supplied and a couple from Rig Manager. I also bought some IRs from TJ.

Fav amp sounds: Marshall - Plexi, 6100, JCM800 and Jubilee, Fender Deluxe Reverb, AC30, Carol-Ann, Orange Rocker and TH30.

Guitars: USA Standard Tele 1990, Dan Smith Strat 1982 (w/1960 rewound SCs & Bareknuckle Crawler HB), Heritage Gold-Top, Gibson SG 2006 (490 pups), Peerless Epiphone Dot335 (w/Bareknuckle Nantucket pups), Rob Williams (Strat type guitar) with Bareknuckle pups.

Used it for a gig on Saturday in stereo through the PA, 2x12 on stage and it sounded great both from a guitarist's point of view and in the mix for the band.

I'm sure it'll only get better as I get more into it.

One question: How do I get onto the "Private" forum - I can't see how to register?

Regards and thanks

Another issue of course is does your tone = good tone in the context of your band / recording? Many times over the years I've found that my killer tone doesn't fit well in the mix and I have to compromise. A good example of this is how we rock guitar players tend to like a tone with plenty of thump / bass which is fine on your own but tramples all over the bass players sound.

Hi all

Having had some great fun (and got some cool sounds) with ToneJunkie's impulse responses, I'm now thinking of getting some of Celestion's.

Has anyone here tried them? What are your favourites?

Regards

Interesting. I've just bought a Kemper Power Rack and two Celestion F12-X200s that I've put in a Marshall 1936 2x12. Some of the profiles I've tried did sound awful awful but most sound great. ToneJunkie's Plexi SL profiles sound incredible and with their Scumback IR's absolutely awesome sound.

Here's a specific question: -

I have a Mission EP1 expression pedal - If I use the 2pole connection to turn on the pedal, can I activate a gain or volume boost on the Kemper by pressing the pedal switch? Does the Wah have a volume setting?

Tx

Thanks for that advice re the looper. That happened once on my Line6, very confusing. No rehearsal time before Saturday's gig so its a fingers crossed job.

It should arrive today so plenty of time to fettle it :)

Hi all

I've played about with a Kemper a few times now, both in music shops and at home - a friend has one. Just bit the bullet as my rig that I've used since 1992 just died and I really can't be arsed to buy old gear to replace what's broke, so I've jumped in feet first and bought a power rack, remote, Mission Engineering EP1 expression pedal and 2 x F12-X200 speakers which will go in my 1936 2x12. That'll have to do it for now at least.

What I'd really like please is a bit of advice on setting the Kemper up as I have a show on Saturday and will be using it.

Obviously I realise the Kemper is a super-flexible bit of kit but for now I will have to set it up to repeat what I had.

BTW I play in a Jam/Paul Weller/Style Council tribute

I use:

1. A clean Fender twin type sound with reverb and chorus.

2. A "Bluesy" just breaking up Marshall sound for most rhythm playing.

3. A more strident lead sound - I heard a superb profile of an Orange for this but can't find it atm - Usually I just punch in a T Rex Moller and up the volume in the FX loop by 4dB.

4. A slap-back delay / reverb sound for the Jam's "Down In The Tubestation" sound - Jam fans will know what I mean.

5. A Tremoleo sound on the Marshall sound.

6. A heavily flanged sound.

Non of this rocket science for the Kemper I imagine?

Just need to know the best way to go about this rather than the minute detail.

Really like the M Britt profiles for paid ones.

Also, do I need a cable for the rack/remote of is one supplied?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheer all

benvigil Not quite sure I understand exactly what you mean there?

TBH I think their marketing the F12 X200 as a speaker that "works in every cabinet" is the right way to go, as most guitar players are just going to want something that they can shove in a cab that had Greenbacks, V30s etc in it and immediately have something approaching an FRFR speaker.

It probably won't sound like a completely flat "hifi" speaker but that seems to be what Celestion intend as they say - quote: "the lighter moving mass and straighter sided cone of the type commonly used with guitar speakers gives the X200 the feel and live response of a traditional guitar speaker, delivering all the physical feedback you'd expect from playing through a conventional guitar rig".

So, the way I interpret that is that it is meant to be a bit of a compromise between a guitar speaker and a pure FRFR. The cabinet is unlikely to affect the sound much as frequencies under 75Hz are pretty much irrelevant with guitar.

I tried a Kemper with a 15" RCF dual (concentric HF) driver speaker and it sounded pretty vile to my ears, very thin and tinny, and that was with cab emulation on. It sounded to me much better through a 2x12 with 200W Celestions (as fitted to the Marshall 6101 combo and 1x12 ext) and the cab emulation off.