Posts by joris.griffioen

From the point of view of physics and electronics, it is always better to send the signal with a high output level and reduce the signal on the receiver side. The signal-to-noise ratio of the signal level is then better. So if the mixer has appropriate instrument inputs and / or attenuation switches, these should be used. Normal XLR inputs are often microphone inputs with pre-amplifiers. If you can bypass this signal path because you supply line level directly, it is always better. The fewer components there are in the signal path, the better and more unadulterated the sound. We have e.g. XLR combo sockets on the mixer board, these switch to instrument level when you plug in a jack plug.

So I always use a pair of Female XLR to 1/4 Inch TRS Adapter (Balanced) at the mixer input.,
    or if the mixer has only XLR input some XLR line Attenuator https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at8202

This theoretically sound, but not practical for most live playing and also totally unproven how much of a noise difference there actually is. Have you heard this difference?

Most of the times these days I'm going through a relatively short cable into a digital stagebox anyway. The times when I'm not I'll be about as near to the mixer. The days of having to drive massive cable runs are really over (remember: your regular mics would need to do the same)

So no: don't interfere with what the engineer is plugging into his mixer, just give them a level that's decently workable and they'll figure it out.

I had two problems to solve:

- shoving the footcontroller on top in the old bag is annoying and just barely fits (not designed for it)

- the handle was already annoying and just disintegrated during the past year

So the Gator bag definitely solves those issues and overall it feels much higher quality. More padding, the strap feels like it won't break (like the official one is proven to do), solid handle that doesn't bend. It is a tad bigger but still feels compact. The pockets are identical sizes to the official one.

https://imgur.com/a/cn0Ortq

^ Some more full-size pictures here because there weren't any comparisons of them online. If anyone has questions let me know :)

Getting a good sound from IEMs depends very much on the way they fit in your ears. I thought I would never like IEMs until I switched from soft rubber to memory foam tips. If you get a good seal, the sound of your guitar in the IEMs will sound like studio monitors.

Yeah good point, that's one of those things you can discover by testing it with some audio.
    Random tips for this:
    - Make sure the strappy thing on the back is up, it helps keep them tight in your ears.
    - It takes a sec for the foam to fully fill out, don't keep fucking with it non-stop

- The right size foam tip can make a huge difference, take the time to get this right (and don't forget about the last point while doing so ;) )

Eh pretty much yeah, and some extra reverb (since the IEM drivers are pretty much against your eardrums). You could use the monitor EQ if you're sending that output to your IEMs but I'm using a cab a lot of times too (two bands, one IEM, one not) so I'm keeping that separate for that.

One thing that pretty important to remember: it's part of a mix. So be careful that you're not trying to mix in a bunch of low end that you just don't need when there's a bass and kick around. Working with an engineer that knows this stuff helps loads too, you're looking at one component of a full mix now, with it being so clean, isolated and close you really want a great total mix in your in-ear rack.

I'm using the jacks for IEM and XLR for FOH so I have the same "main out" EQ going to both. The IEM signal gets some extra EQ in the mix rack, not sure what we do there exactly but I could check it out for you.

What might help as well is checking what your IEMs and wireless pack sounds like, just play some normal music through it that you know well. Perhaps your IEMs themselves are just dull for instance or the pack has some setting screwed up. Just to make sure you know what you're working with.

That's not how software development works generally. But most of all: I'd leave it up to the developers to pick the right strategy, they know what they're dealing with behind the scenes.

That said, I wish all this kind of software was open source. It's not the thing they're making money on anyway and it would allow for many more people to help in this stage and for others to maintain it when the company can't/won't anymore.

Many people have suggested forms of "capture all the EQ sweeps of an amp" and such. I can see how that's hard to get the UI right for that, nevermind the technical challenge and all the different kinds of variations an amp can have.

We could have a much beter experience already by a simple change: bundling the profiles for one amp into one, with a "variations" knob that lets you flip through all the different eq/switch variations (actually technically flipping through the profiles in this set)

This would remove the 9897685 versions of one amp in your profiles list and the Rig Exchange.

Some details would have to be worked out, like keeping the auditioning of different tones in the Rig Manager simple and flat.

I am currently whining about the fact that 7.0 is in fact not in release for my Kemper rack, only for the newborn Stage. It's like having a younger brother all over again. Whatever is different about the two has created a really unfavorable situation where my stuff used to be primary, and now it feels kinda secondary, and I'm just a human so that gives me some feels. I'll get over it for sure, but the way I see it, they should strive to have one uniform release date for both products, and I only say that because the Stage isn't meant to compete with or absolve the ol' Kemper, it's just a new form factor. It is supposed to be the same product. The Kemper is like a hot girl, it can get away with being a female dog, because everyone wants to get in on it anyway. That being said, this doesn't feel great to me.

By all the bugs it seems to only be "release level" in name for the Stage. Can't release new hardware with beta software after all. I personally expect future releases to be in sync between the units.

Edit: and on topic: screen quality, tap tempo, midi over usb, direct profiles and the power amp.

Maybe it's just where I live, but many of the sound techs around here are dumb as stones. Not only are they intolerant of loud amps, but many times they cannot wrap their heads around the fact you do NOT need mics with modelers. I had one guy that insisted on mic'ing the woofer on my FRFR, no matter how much I tried to explain the modeler had an XLR direct out, like the keyboards and mixer. He flat refused to use the direct out.

I guess it didn't really matter, most mixes come out all drums, bass guitar and cymbals anyhow. I don't have a good view of most sound techs. But there are extremely good ones out there as well, those should be cherished.

I'd say intolerance of loud amps is a very sane thing. It is one of the reasons the Kemper has that line-out.

I guess techs are better here, I've never experienced that kind of bullshit.

Yeah a better tip IMO is: "talk to the sound guy for two seconds and tell them what you are doing". In the end you are changing their setup, which is fine, but it should be synced to them.

Your topic title is a bit misleading in that way. They didn't make a mistake. You changed their mic setup (apparently without their knowledge) and it led to an unexpected outcome.

I'm also (partially) color blind. Guitar companies really need to learn that yellow/orange/amber/red are not easy to distinguish for 7% of the male population (that sounds small but it's one in every 15 males).

Are the LEDs in the in/output section also capable of blue? In that case a "colourblind" mode should be an easy fix.
    If not perhaps something could be done with UI on the screen but that's a bit more involved.

Apparently there are only like five of us in the guitar playing community that find this frustrating.

I think we are the only ones that recognised the problem for what it is.

That said: all the guys with a midi controller controlling a rack of gear are doing exactly this; reusing patches from different units to compose a sound. You don't set up 90 patches on your preamp and delay unit if you have 90 songs, you set up your tones and use them where you like.

It is an abstraction layer though so the UX of the feature should be thought out and tested well. There's many ways to make it confusing (which is why I opted for the "inheriting whole slots" route instead of globals that create more cognetive load)