Posts by Sunshine

I am using an Avatar 2x12 Contemporary with V30s. It sounds great. I model my sounds using a v30 style cab in the profiler to keep my sound somewhat consistent. I could easily use this rig forever.

That being said, i'm looking into passive FRFR cabs like the Mission Gemini 1-P for some size and weight reduction, and to get near matched tone between FOH and stage sound.

You can use the DI out as another monitor out, just set it to "master mono". You just can't disable the cab but that's not an issue if you are using frfr.
    This is one of the reasons I would like an EQ feature for it.

I thank you for the insight, my friend.

Yea, a lot of people applaud the remote for it's small footprint. The problem is when others have a large footprint....

On that point I'm still shocked they don't have a built in expression pedal with the remote.

I want the Helix's form factor with the Kemper's guts and power amp...

And make it waterproof...

We have EQ option for the mains, monitor outputs. I would love an option for Direct output and Headphone output.

I use my Direct output at the same time as my Monitor output but sending it to another source, it would be handy if I could EQ the output on the Kemper.

I would also like an Headphone output EQ, so I can dial in a sound that is closer to what I hear from my reference monitors or amp. As well, I sometimes use different headphones and would like to EQ them to add/remove EQ as needed.

But...then it wouldn't be a DI anymore! :D .

It would be cool if they could add an option to choose how the output functions. either DI, or 2nd monitor out.

I have practice tonight. I have removed the volume pedal functionality from all rigs that (do not) have a wah present. I will update on the volume loss issue tomorrow if the problem shows up again.

I used the Kemper for hours yesterday while recording with 0 issues. the pedal wasn't attached.

I have never liked the M50s. Dry sounding and sibilant high end in my experience. even my rigidly accurate CIEMS sound more warm and fun. If you want a great cheap over ear solution I like the Takstar HI2050. I spend a bit of time lurking headfi and these were highly recommended.

I don't understand the logic behind using the Kemper for studio, but then crapping on it as a live solution because you "rely on REAL rigs" for that. It seems backwards to me. If you nail your studio tone with the Kemper for your final product, why wouldn't you want to bring it on the road? (Trivium, Bullet for My, Valentine, and many other metal bands do this.) It's so much more convenient in about 100 different ways. It has been a true revelation to me, and I'm not that busy of a musician these days. That's actually another plus to me. I don't have to store tons of crap at my home in order to make the 1 or 2 shows per month we play. I keep my main two guitars and the Kemper.

As far as being at a disadvantage in the metal genre, I can agree that their are some really terrible profiles out there. On the other hand, when I find a good one I always have the same thought: "I could never get this tone without blowing the walls off this place" I also find some of the Kemper's tricks particularly useful for metal. The clarity, pick, and direct mix controls let me get the heaviest sound and still maintain single note separations to any degree I want. I love it. Andy Sneap seems to love it too. He even claims you can beat real amp tone with the Kemper's abilities. As far as the Kemper on the road, I would say it's mostly metal acts using them.

Maybe i'm not on the same page here. I don't have a million dollar studio with mic lockers and boats full of preamps and compressors to compare the Kemper to. I would love to hear some final mixes from the engineers here that can help me identify the shortcomings of the Kemper. I only have listened to the records noted by people like Wagener, Sneap, and Tyler Cain, who is a country guy.

Any in-ear meant for pro audio will get you close enough. I use Shure 215s, Customs, and studio cans and they are all honest.

People here are much more specific around here about their tone than me. I'm not trying to replicate an exact sound, I just find something awesome and run with it. Since I play live with an Avatar 2x12 with V30s, I always sculpt my tone using a V30 cab IR. It's always really close coming out of the cab without the cab sim on.

My next purchase will be a Gemini 1-P, though. Lighter and apparently the FRFR speakers have much better dispersion.

The reason I am going for the Mission cab is because the tweeter is actually mounted right on top of the other speaker. This means in a pinch you could mic the cab like a regular guitar cab if you absolutely had to.

On more question ... when the issue happens, does the output LED still indicate a signal?

And by the way many thanks for your analytic approach and effort to get this nailed!

I probably won't be in a scenario to reproduce the issue until Monday night at rehearsal. I ended up backing up my performances and rigs and performing an Init. I did not reload factory rigs. I only have the ones I was using before.

On a side note, my profiler powered itself off about 3 minutes after it was fully rebooted from the Init.

It was pretty random. Nothing connected to anything aside headphones and a guitar. No other outputs plugged in. I don't mean it shut itself down, either. It was a complete power drop. It came back on and was stable for the next 2 hours that I used it with my DAW.

"And by the way many thanks for your analytic approach and effort to get this nailed!"

I'm an avionics engineer on the troubleshooting side of things. Analytics is life! :D

Excellent information, thanks!

A few more questions:

Do you experience the issue in Performance Mode or Browse Mode or both?

I only use browse mode intermittently to show someone a quirky profile I might have. At rehearsal it's 100% performance mode.

Are you using a Profiler Remote and /or any other remote control equipment?

Using the kemper remote with a moog EP-3 expression pedal plugged into it.

You are referring to a reset ... have you tried a simple restart?

This is probably what I meant. Simply turning the dial to off and after shut down, turning it back to performance.

Are you using the Effects Loop function and is it somehow involved?

No effects loop or any other 3rd party hardware.

What happens, if you switch into Tuner Mode and unselect "Mute"?

Will be experimenting today. I'll be back to answer this later.

Or have you tried an Init Globals in the System Settings?
    I have not, but was tempted to do that today. I'm torn between trying to recreate the problem here first with the Kemper in its current state in order to really pinpoint the issue, but at the same time my Kemper is second hand and who knows what the other guy may have done to it. I will probably just do the initialize and start from square one as I feel any data gathered will be more valid that way, should the issue arise again.

If you load an Output Preset afterwards you might be back to normal within seconds. But it would help us to know, where to search.

Thanks so much for the reply. <3

Oh, the temptation. I can't tell you how many times in the last month I have been a few clicks from spending an exorbitant amount of money on a Les Paul. The only thing that has stopped me is knowing my Greco plays better than any Gibson I have owned. Still, I have always wanted that alpine white custom with gold hardware...