Posts by Sunshine

*EDIT* I am not at home and can't check the FW version, but i'm assuming we are all on the latest stable release. I have had my Kemper a few weeks and updated it right when I received it.

I am having similar issues. This has happened to me at 2 different rehearsals:

First rehearsal:
    I was messing with the looper and adjusting the volume. I had the volume pedal down (Moog EP-3) when I switched back out of looper mode. The volume pedal became unresponsive and there was no sound out of any rigs or performances. The indicator on the Kemper moved with the pedal, but there was zero volume. It was like I was muted for tuning. The signal from my guitar was still hitting the Kemper and the tuner LEDs on the "ON" switch where still reacting. Switching to the tuner showed the tuner working as well. The entire machine functioned like it normally would, there was just no volume.
    Solution:
    After going in and out of looper mode a few times and rocking the pedal back and forth the sound magically reappeared. At this point I was just mashing buttons in frustration. I'm already getting flack for using the Kemper from some other band members, this just adds fuel to the fire.

Second rehearsal:
    Similar circumstances only no looper. I was in between songs using the tuner. When I switched the tuner off there was no volume. It's like I was still muted. Everything on the Kemper was still responsive. Banks changed. Rigs changed. Rig names changed while switching through. The tuner still worked. The volume pedal indicator still moved when I moved the volume. This time I spent an extended amount of time trying to fix the problem and figure out what was wrong without resetting. I figured it must be user error. I checked pedal settings, output settings, unplugged the pedal, turned the pedal ports off and back on, plugged the pedal back in. calibrated the pedal, and nothing.

Solution:
    This ended in needing in a reset, which unfortunately will be a deal breaker for me ever using the Kemper live. We play original music and open shows for bigger acts. We get 25-35 minutes to gain attention. Energy and flow is everything. This just can't happen for me.

Moving forward:
    Since I feel the volume pedal is involved somehow, or at least rigs with a volume pedal setting in the chain, I am going to deactivate the setting that makes the pedal act as a volume if no wah is present, and see if this fixes the problem. This is really disappointing and I feel I shouldn't have to avoid using certain features, but I really don't want to start dragging 500 pounds worth of crap around again.

I am optimistic knowing i'm not the only one having similar issues. This means its possible its a software issue and hopefully resolvable.

Sunshine, thank you for the advice. My thinking aligns with yours with regards to how the loop would react to a pedal being used for a volume boost. I shall look for profiles with similar stompboxes already employed. This is somewhat confusing to me, because I have read that profiling a pedal is not possible, which makes perfect sense to me. I guess the profiling process, when used with a valve amp/stompbox combo, takes the cumulative IR's to make the profile? Cheers :)

It is my understanding that the pedal cannot be profiled by itself and then used as a stomp box in the Kemper. (That would be f***ing amazing, though)

However, if a stompbox is coloring the tone of the amp during profiling, it will be analyzed and reproduced by the Kemper.

I have messed with some Marshall profiles with Tube screamers in the profile and you can def hear the character of the green pedal.

I kept my beloved Lovepedal Kalamazoo and Fuzz Face, and I have yet to use either. I kept the Kalamazoo because it has a certain characteristic that i love. It's been described as Klon-like. For me it ads an awesome mid range thwomp to the sound. It basically adds balls to just about any tone, weather clean or dirty. I have been able to find that sound in the Kemper.

As far as the volume boost, I would assume for this to be possible the pedal would have to be in the effects loop like a traditional amp, but i may be wrong. *EDIT* (volume boost is also easily achievable in the Kemper)

Also, I have found that many profiles come with multiple variations that will often include boutique OD pedals "baked in" to the profile. The gain knob works really well to add more dirt as well. It reacts very naturally, even on amps that were profiled fairly clean. You could always save the same rig setup twice and just add more gain to the second one if you are purely after more dirt.

All three guitarists have pretty specific sounding signature pickups from different companies.

Misha = Bareknuckle Juggernaut
    Mark = SD Alpha Omega
    Jake = Dimarzio Titan

I want to try out Jake Bowen's set, personally.

This doesn't make any sense. Autosave is closer to "full control", you actually mean "security and stability", which is a good argument and which is why I mentioned it should be an option.

It is my humble opinion that any time a device does something automatically, you no longer have full control of it. Like a manual vs. automatic transmission in a car.

What should be in scope of such an "Autosave" and what shouldn't from your perspective?

You change the Amp EQ => Autosave?
    You activate a booster => Autosave, so next time that Rig gets loaded, the booster is immediately on?
    Or if not, what should happen, if you first switch on the booster and then decrease Presence. Should then the new level of Presence be saved, but not the active booster?
    You lock a Module with a Wah => every Rig you load from now on gets stored automatically with that Wah potentially overwriting other effects?

Nothing would be auto saved.
    After parameters were adjusted I could save the rig by holding its foot switch down for two seconds, instead of pushing the store button multiple times on the Kemper.

Many Line 6 product have the option of "autosaving" where anything you touch is saved on the fly.

Could be a system setting in my opinion. Sometimes you want to move quickly and once everything is in place you want to be more safe. Some sort of one-tap quick save could also be an option, the overwhelming share of saving will not include editing the name/position of a performance.

EXACTLY! This is the kind of functionality that would save me a lot of time. Especially playing various sized and shaped rooms. quick save adjustments during sound check and then lock it in for the performance. You could eventually save the performances per venue if you frequent certain stages.

So my first rehearsal was good, but there was lots of tweaking to be done on the fly. volume here and there, reverb mix here and there, EQ, etc.

I think it would be really handy to be able to walk back over to the controller and hold the rig's foot switch in the performance for two seconds to save on-the-fly adjustments.

We would be mid-song and I would need to switch to another rig, and the previous tweaks would be lost if I didn't have time mash the "store" button multiple times until it stored. I understand the other side of the argument as far as being able to make tweaks and not lose your actual stock performance settings, but maybe there could be a special mode for "live tweaking".

Is there some sort of shortcut or functionality resolving this already in existence?

I'm pretty sure Stone Temple Pilots early stuff used AC30's through Marshall 4x12s with V30s in them and I think they had pretty decent tone...

Last night was my first full volume band rehearsal. the Kemper did NOT disappoint. I really like the way it sounds through my Avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's. The only real issue I had was some volume discrepancies vs. how I set the rigs up at home. At volume vs. the full band, some rigs were getting lost in the mix a bit. Easily resolved.

My bassist/amp tech has lovingly named the Kemper "the Shitty Toaster". He's just being a purist, though. He had nothing negative to say about the tone and even the other guitarist was jealous.

I'm sill trying to grasp the concept, so please excuse my ignorance.

Let's say a local club near me like House of Blues has an entertainment license. My band opens for a headlining band and in our set we cover a Social Distortion song. You are telling me that somehow the license the venue buys from the city/county tracks down Social Distortion and pays them a royalty?