Posts by Lobsta

Is there an audio interface in the equation?

Sounds like ground loop problem with interface connected to pc I've had before.

* Back of profiler, there are series of red buttons which are ground lifts- if you haven't already- try pushing those, see if anything changes.

* if you have more than one device connected to your audio interface (inputs and outputs - anywhere), disconnect them until noise stops. Troubleshoot from there.

*You could always test your house wiring, but pretty unlikely that's the cause. You can get a tester at a hardware store for cheap. Really doubt that's your problem, though.

Thanks!

These are all really great, man. The only one I would consider re-doing is the Randy Rhoads- I get this really high pitched resonance with that one.

Green Day and Megadeth are really good.

Other suggestions- just unique guitar tones like Metallica's 1st 2 albums, 4 horseman for example. Fight fire with Fire. Slayer reign in blood and South of Heaven. Those and the Ozzy/Randy Rhoads are tones I could never nail down

It can happen that the RM and the Profiler are not in sync - this also results in a wrong performance list in the RM. There have been a few posts about Performances going lost after a Profiler restart. I'm always unsure if these performances ever were on the device or if they still are and just the RM list is wrong. If you go through the performances on the device without RM, are they also missing there? Maybe we should introduce a "start complete re-sync" button..

RE-SYNC feature!: This would be a GREAT idea to add to the editor. I am constantly having to close the editor program, and reopen it so it's updated properly. Or if I've left RM3 open, and turned off the Kemper, come back later- turn on Kemper they won't connect to each other. Sometimes I have to restart both Kemper and RM3. Happens very often.

Another example: I'll load a profile in RM3, it loads on the Kemper, make some changes to it, then save it on the Kemper using the 'store' button. After doing a couple saves- if you try to load the newly saved profiles, they are not on the RM3 list, only way to access them is to restart the editor program.

If you could just Re-Sync, that would solve that.

I don't use the Tone control on my guitar. Its always set on "10", so, would removing the pot from the circuit affect the tone in anyway?

The pot, i'm certain, is 250k (not sure of the capacitor value) so theoretically there will be less resistance to earth and to the tone-capacitor.

Will the results be negligible or should i install a 250k resistor and reinstate the tone-capacitor to "simulate" a tone-pot locked off at max?

thanks for any info

I've done many guitar wiring projects, so many configurations and mods on all kinds of guitars, including no tone no volume. Yes, there's less resistance to your output signal if you remove the pot, sure there might be a measurable difference (slightly louder, slightly brighter), but it's barely detectable (if at all) when playing. Go for it.

These days I usually do something simple to new guitars (I also never use the standard tone pot):

Tone control: swap out the tone pot for a way lower value. Instead of .047, add a zero to that- .0033 uf (also called 3300 picofarad) Try anything between .0012 and .0045 uf. The treble gets cut at a different point, so it sounds more like a midrange boost, sort of like a wah pedal.

Tone control: Convert it to a split coil switch for the bridge humbucker. Easy- disconnect the capacitor, then connect (on a 4 conductor pickup) the 2 humbucker split coil wires. When you turn the knob to zero (connects to ground), humbucker splits- Use this one much more than the midrange control.

So many other things you can do with push pull pots, but these days usually do one of the above.

Take a look at the output menu, there's a separate eq control section for 'main' and 'monitor' outputs. I think the headphones are linked to the main output. See if they're both set the same...

Also a few other settings like 'monitor cab off' there you could check.

Headphones should sound really great! Something must be off. Maybe the reset will help.

RM 3.0.87.15715:

'Locking' feature no longer works for me. Kemper rack loads the selected profile's settings, ignores the 'lock'. RM3 shows the locked settings, Kemper is totally different, not synced. Just filled out a beta feedback response.

Anyone else have this?

Just wanted to say thank you to Kemper and everyone who worked on the RM 3! Been using it every day for over a month now, it's great. There are quite a few things I really even had no idea were editable parameters, or just would never take the time to navigate to try to edit. Such as the equalizer options on the output menu, totally useful, man. No idea it even existed. Also the ducking parameter can have it's position changed from post to pre on some fx, no idea that was there. Yeah, there's some problems as others have mentioned above, (mine loses connection some times and have to restart) but overall great.

My favorite is the locking feature. Sometimes I use it like this- lock an amp I like, lock the fx I like, then go to the Rig Exchange and scroll thru profiles.

Only thing that changes is the cabinet, and any fx slots that weren't locked. So you can get some crazy killer results. (and some really strange ones)

The fx presets and their potential is another benefit. If you haven't tried all the included Kemper fx presets, definitely try 'ICE' (cirrus reverb preset) Really wild!

Here's my wish list so far:

* Tuner

* Ability to scroll thru fx presets with just one key (like you can with profiles) this would be really cool for scrolling thru different cab presets for example (while playing). It's hard to do while balancing a guitar and having to press ctrl/enter! How about enabling the arrow keys as it's implemented for the profiles.

* Add 'Save as' to allow naming and destination choices for tweaked profiles.

Cheers!

Sounds great! What caught my attention was the mention of Thin Lizzy. After trying it out, what I found that was by cranking the gain up to about 7, there results a super heavy, thickened, sludgy doom metal sound. \m/

Thanks for sharing, Mickrich.

whats the issue with the cab irs ?

For the Kemper users who are playing thru a guitar cab, the cabinet section will have little to no use. They are getting a significant portion of their tone from the speakers themselves. I suspect many of the posters who mention they have no use for an editor possibly fall into this category.

If recording direct from the Kemper, the cab section and other sub menu adjustments are all important. The amplifier sections sound similar for the most part, but the cabs make a huge difference. The gamut from dull and lifeless, to smooth and warm, harsh and fizzy, boomy and muddy, and everywhere in between. To specifically answer:

*Once you've utilized the cab maker, added all your favorite ir's, and saved some of the great sounding profile cabs, an accumulation of cabs are stored in the Kemper. Scrolling thru the sub menu to select a different cab, turning, turning, turning the knob- you feel like- certainly the knob is going to break off, or your going to pull every muscle in your wrist. Sheer colossal numbers of cabs becomes daunting. If you have the misfortune of importing a cab which is titled with a lower case spelling, forget about it, it will be all the way at the end of the list. Amount of time wasting makes it frustrating. With an editor= seconds.

* If, now logically you think- why not delete the cab presets that suck, thereby reducing the size of the list, and making scrolling thru faster. Well, try it, you have about a microsecond option to delete a preset. It would take hours and hours to delete all the cab presets I no longer want. Likely accomplished in 20 seconds with an editor......

For these reasons I no longer utilize the cab presets (even before the editor was announced- when was that? oh yeah at least 10 months ago...), and many other features, just too difficult and time consuming. Feel like I'm using a tiny fraction of the potential of the Kemper.

The Kemper requires it.

I'm using a different audio interface- an old Profire 2626, and I have all of the Kemper's outputs including sp-dif hooked up to it. The clock is set to the Profire, sp-dif works. I never considered switching the clock to the Kemper. Obviously it is not required. Perhaps it helps with the timing for re-amping.

I'll have to give it a try though, see if it makes any difference.

I can hear it. It's like a low end flab. It sounds a lot thicker and more distorted than the reference. Is the amp not loud enough, or too loud?

If you can't get profiling closer, try dudemanbrother's stomp EQ (before the amp stage) idea. Definitely cut the low end, you could try boosting the highs as a test too.

For me, I like the #12 better. It sounds darker and less harsh, and the notes sound thicker. Cool tone! Also I'm testing on a Dean Z Explorer which is unusually thin and bright sounding, so that may explain why the darker profiler sounds better. I can always turn up the amplifier treble control (sounds good), and still sounds less harsh more natural than the # 11.

Cheers- sounds good, thanks.