Posts by KenACwb

I'm excited for you, Ken san, not just 'cause of your impending Kemper but 'cause you're going to be living where I've always wanted to myself. I dream about it every day!

Thanks monkey_man, waraba, dimi84 and actually everyone else for the input ... appears that a good bet would be: S-Gear and KPA, not just one or another!

Hey monkey_man, I've been in Japan a few times before, both for work and tourism. This subject deserves a full separate post, but overall you'll see 2 complete opposites experiences if you compare working there or visiting there. Working environment in general is very stressful in JP while as a visitor you'll be able to make use of all the great infrastructure and hospitality.

For my Brazilian fellows I always encourage them to at least visit Japan once because it's kinda of a different world if you compare to Brazil

And although the working environment is though out there I still believe you can get/extract good things out of it, it will just depend on how open minded you are

In case you have the chance to visit Japan, don't think twice, just go ... I'm sure you'll love to visit the Ochanomizu area in Tokyo in order to see many guitar shops ... there is also a more hidden place in Shibuya area where I used to go for guitars and accessories ... very interesting places when it comes to musical instruments shops.

Why not just Profile the S-Gear plugin, Ken san?

Wow, I didn't know you could do that w/ KEMPER, but remember I still don't have one yet, I'll wait until I get to Japan. But this idea led me to think about, is it legal to profile someone else's sw? and I haven't thought about, is it legal to profile an amp? Probably yes otherwise Kemper wouldn't exist, right? I believe in regards to the stock profiles that come with Kemper, probably some royalties go to the amp manufacturer?

Can I profile pedals with Kemper? Maybe a dumb question here, but... who knows? Actually that Xtomp Pedal is some kind of profiler I think, except that the user don't profile anything, but just download profiles of pedals.

Just a quick update to this post ... although the main subject here is about Kemper, I decided to try S-Gear and I must say that among all the sw amp sims I've tested before, this one is really close to a real amp. Yes, I still feel higher notes thinner than an amp, but not in a way I couldn't live with it. Plus it has e very 'organic' or less synthetic/artificial feel to it.

At this stage where amp sims or hw sims are, maybe it's not about comparing it to the real thing, but to learn its strengths and make good use of it. I'm on the 15 trial days and I'll probably buy this one, so I can then slowly and carefully test the Kemper and maybe other hw gear, and only then make a better decision with no rush.

One of the things I never could fix on amp sims, is that single notes always sounded thin. Ok, maybe it's like asking too much, but it does bother me.

And yes, there are amps, even valve amps, that sound thin no matter what also!

There will probably be thin sounded profiles as well, but my hope is you have the ones with the character I like too?

I just have 1 amp, so I don't see myself profiling amps and that brings another doubt: is Kemper too much? Maybe there could be a Kemper "Player" only version? so all you do is load profiles and EQ ?

Oh, Dōitashimashite monkey_man :)

Thanks Monkey_Man,

What a surprise it's not an interface, but in the other-hand maybe on purpose in order to free the onboard processor? Great to hear that the Kemper has more of an Amp feel than the sw alternatives! I'll definitely check the Kemper once there in JP ... based on YT vidz and comparing Kemper / Helix / Axe FX ... I had the impression that Kemper is more close to a real amp than the other too, including the usability part. Appears that you have more options with Helix and Axe, but that doesn't count for me because I normally use just a few sounds ( Drive and Semi clean ).

Hello, I'm about to move to Japan and I was wondering ( since I don't own a Kemper ) how different playing thru a Kemper would be in comparison to using sw amp sims in terms of feeling. I currently use a Friedman PT20 > Suhr Reactive Load > Audio Interface > DAW and I find it much better than via amp sims ( feeling and tone wise ), but it will be too much to bring them to Japan so I'm looking for alternatives.

Of course, via sw amp sim, I will not have to carry anything besides my laptop, but I'm never happy enough with the feeling part and also drive sounds aren't near the real thing, unless your into high gain. I'm more of an overdrive guy and use the volume and tone knobs for semi clean sounds.

ps. I believe the Kemper is also an Audio Interface, so I won't need to carry my AI as well, right?