Posts by Mlaykay

Not really KPA related so my appologies for a completely off-topic subject but I had no idea where to post this.

TLDR: How do you balance music production while working a full time job?

So this is kind of a broad quiestion(s) so I’ll try to break it down and be more specific.
    Basically I would like to hear from people who work a full time job and produce music in their spare time. By "production" I mean: you write, practice and mix your own material in your home (or pro) studio.

So my questions are:

• How do you find balance between work, music production, family/spouse, sports?
    • When do you usually write more music - during the week vs during the weekend?
    • How long does it usually take you to transform an initial idea to a finished track in your DAW?

I would really like some tips/advice as I’ve been struggling with this for years.

To help you better understand my daily situation: I work a full time job that mostly involves sitting in front of a computer. While I love what I do, I often find myself lacking energy and proper "drive" for producing music at home during the week, because it involves even more sitting and my back starts aching After work I feel like moving about/working out, doing something other than sitting. So, what I often do instead, is go for a walk/run BUT when I’m done with recreation I often feel too tired to get anything serious done musically. At that point in the day, it’s often a bit of a struggle to get myself to even pick up the guitar. In terms of energy: I start my day off at 100%, but by the time I can dedicate an hour or two for music/guitar I’m at about 30%. LOL, reading this must sound like such a first world problem :D Don’t get me wrong, I feel very lucky to even be able to create music, but thinking how much more I could be making if, I had more time/energy, is sometimes depressing ||

Anyhow, any advice how to cut corners and better manage my time?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject, thanks.

Thanks so much man, Vai was (and still is) a HUUUUGE influence. I remember hearing Passion&Warfare for the first time....my god, I think my brain had to rewire itself after hearing that album :) I hope you get back to making music very soon.

Haha, you should absolutely not feel stupid. English is rough!!! And to be fair, "" around a word/statement usually does indicate sarcasm or disbelief in what was 'quoted". And I like to think @Monkey_Man may have subtly been bridging the gap between sincerity and sarcasm, "SSD5 is coming soon, but they've been saying so for years, so it's probably coming soon...buuuut.." kind of thing...I might be wrong. (I know it really is soon Nicky, we've just been saying that for a while, so it's fun to poke at. :D But I do know it really is soon. I hope it's so awesome)

Anyway, anyone who speaks a second language as well as you do doesn't have to apologize for anything, IMO.

Edit: I've listened to your song a couple times throughout the night. Shit rocks, man. Lemme know if you want a webcam video of me air-drumming to it. To put in the official music video, of course. :D

Thaks a lot man! Well, seeing how my "music videos" consist of a static image and have basically zero views on YT, a Kemper brother air-drumming would probably generate a lot more traffic I reckon :thumbup: And yes, English can sometimes be rough, so thanks for understanding :)

LoL, I didn't go through the entire gearslutz thread until after Locrain's comment...well, I feel pretty stupid about my previous comment on SSD5 now :wacko: Sorry, english isnt my first language so the saracsm went over my head on first reading :D

Damn, thanks so much for all the respones guys, means a lot as I was a bit nervous when uploading this one, I know the arrangement is kinda all over the place :D but I like the way it turned out in the end.

Thanks for the kind words man, what's your soundcloud? Also, completely offtopic but how do I "follow" someone on here?
    SSD5 sounds promising but like musicmad, I'll have to start mentally saving up too because I bought a new interface not too long ago, so new gear will have to wait :/

WTF was that! GREAT!!..for me it has MORE GROOVE THAN DJENT..
    Dont feel bad about dancing to this 8o:D

The blend of electronic blew my mind man

Ash

Thanks Ash! and I agree about the groove>djent comment. I wasn't really going for that super choppy djent sound (tho I do enjoy it when others do it right) I just put the djent tags because there's a lot of overlap between djent kids and prog fans...

We do care :) - love Guidos free profile pack as well. Great composition. Love it! What guitar/pups and is it Superior Drummer 3?

Thank you musicmad! :) The guitars are Ibanez Iron Label RGAIX7U with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths for rhythm and EBMM JP6 for leads.
    It is NOT Superior Drummer, but Steven Slate Drums 3.5 which is waaaay behind the newer stuff out there but I still use it for everything.

Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate it.

Hello fellow Kempermen (and women ;) ) Just wanted to share this proggy instrumental I wrote.
    If anyone cares, profiles used for rhythm are ChopTones Framus Cobra(the free ones) and for leads: Mars SL 100 and Guido Bugenstock's Friedman PT 808 - god I love that profile :)

So, here it is:
    THE GREAT ORDEAL

Thanks for listening and all the best,

Mladen

Hi everyone,

new Kemper owner here and long time lurker, waited too damn long to pull the trigger on this awesome machine, but I finally did. :D
    I wrote this song a few months ago, maybe some Satriani/Vai fans will dig it, please check it out and I hope you like it: OBLIVION

Cheers!