Posts by GuyJames

I wish the Profiler Remote had multiple loop returns and sends on it so we could have multiple overdrives hooked up and left on and then just select which ones we want assigned.

Since day 1 I loved the clean tones from Kemper profiles but my only gripe has been Overdrive tones. Every profile I've tried I was never really happy with the mid to high gain stuff and couldn't for the life of me understand how to EQ to what I wanted to hear but I was able to eventually settle on MBritts Victory 50 profiles. Still though, I wasn't able to get the gain I loved from my OD pedals (J Rockett "Dude", Xotic "SL Drive", Barber "LTD")

I finally tried the Dist Loop though and I'll be damned, there it is, everything I was missing.

I quickly realized a little predicament though. I’m using performance mode and want to use three dirt pedals (mid, high gain, fuzz) but for their respective preset. Since the loop is basically just one line I can’t save specific pedals out of that one chain to a different preset.

I have the foot switch controller already but i wonder if there’s something out there that can allow me to have the dirt pedals in independent loops that I can then assign to the presets I want.

I’m hoping to avoid midi stuff, but I’m just not sure what my other options are. Can some of you routing experts explain this to me please?

Kempermaniac thanks for the reply. I just use xlr’s into the front of the Scarlett 18i8. There is a software with the Scarlett I know I can switch to line level. I’ll go in and make sure it’s set to that. If it is at line level than I should keep the gain knobs down still right?

What if I’m recording acoustic guitar direct though? Better to use mic level and use some preamp from the interface you think?

Simple question, should I be leaving the gain knobs on the front of my interface at 0? I know every interface has it's own preamp gain character. Even set at 0 i'm sure it still has it's own character compared to other interfaces set to 0. Thoughts?

I've been recording some short pieces on my Youtube channel with the Kemper going direct. I'm using mainly MBritt Profiles but I have found some SinMix profiles that I like.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is there a list anywhere that describes what each effect preset is achieving? I know some are a obvious or spelled out in their title but others are a little more questionable.

Another thought, It would be rad if there was a section in Rig Manager dedicated to people sharing Effect presets. I know that we can't share commercial profiles but couldn't we re-upload a free RM profile with our own tweaks and effect presets? Tone Junkie has done a bit of this on their website and it's honestly helped so much.

Things like getting reverb or Studio/Graphic eq settings together we're very hard for me to understand at first. Someone sharing their expert mixing skills would have saved so much time and actually helped me see how certain parameters actually effect the profile.

Before I set out to make a fuzz/octavia preset i'd like to know what you guys think. Should i use my clean, mid gain or high gain preset as the base and then add the fuzz and recto shaper ? Which one is a better platform to work from? I think the traditional method is using a mid gain breakup and hitting the front of that gain with the fuzz. I'm going for a pretty standard Hendrix octa-fuzz sound.

Man, I've gone through the same experience for the first 7 months. My Solution was to find a few profiles that sounded the best (even if the best still didn't feel good) and work with those...

Secondly, You gotta run it through a guitar cab to get that authentic amp feel man. I picked up a yamaha DXR10 powered speaker too after tons of reviews and it's also great but... still the guitar cab is the 'real guitar amp' sound.

If you haven't figured it out by now on this thread here's my best tips from experience.

1. use a guitar cab, or a good passive cab like the DXR10
    2. make sure the noise gate isn't too high or on at all if there's no noise..
    3. for gain profiles put a graphic eq in the x slot and set the low cut between 80-100hz and the high cut between 5000-1000hz depending on how bright the profile already is.
    4. Look up the Tone Junkie "Transparent Overdrive" preset on there website. The EQ on they have in D slot on that works great for Gain profiles.
    5. Take it out to a rehearsal or jam and play with it. Living room tones hardly equate to stage outcome in my experience. Take notes on what you need to tweak and change it back at home. I also found, jamming along with backing tracks cranked through speakers can replicate that experience of jamming a bit and hep you gauge your results in house before taking it out.
    6. If you have the remote, use the looper in "Pre" mode, record yourself soloing along to a backing track and set your guitar down while the loop repeats licks and you can focus on tweaking the the playback against the backing track.
    7. Buy one of MBritts first 3 Profile packs. He really does the job right.

Lastly.... Don't forget to practice. Tweaking for hours and not practicing isn't going to help.

Thanks guys! I raised the power amp boost to 12 db. I agree with what you're saying @Robrecht about the illusion of volume.

Only time I think any of us will run out of volume is if were rocking hard and aren't using a stage monitor up front facing us. I don't most people will perceive volume being maxed out if they have a monitor up front tilted.

I’m sure there’s a thread out there on this but I can’t find it so excuse the repetition if so.

I’m using a passive 1x12 60watt hellatone guitar cab. On my gig last night I found myself running out of master volume headroom. I don’t feel comfortable pushing the master volume bar past 75% as I’ve heard of people blowing up there guitar cabs.

I found when I raised the rig volume for the profile it had a greater effect on the overall volume than the master volume knob. The master volume is global for all Profiles and that’s what I want though.

Is there a way to increase the headroom on the master volume so I don’t have to raise the rig volume of the profiles to much? Naturally I raise the rig volume of my clean patches a few dB so it matches dynamically when switching from OD patches. I know In the output menu there’s a volume for each output but I’m a little confused on it.

Hopefully what I’m asking is all clear.

What have your results been?

Awesome, I'll upload it and turn it up tomorrow! Hopefully it gets close to this recording. One of my frustrations has been hearing amazing demos like this , getting the profile and then it sounds totally different. I know that's due to what I monitor it through and obviously just different hands.

I really appreciate the great replies guys! @Wheresthedug you nailed it in regards to your comment about most commercial high gain profiles not typically being the sound i'm looking for. The holdsworth thing is tricky because his sound is a combination of specify delay settings too so if someone actually made a legit profile it would be more than just the amp sound.

With that said, here's a perfect example of amazing dynamic overdrive i'm dreaming of.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm sure this is a simple fix but I can't figure it out. I'm plugged into a DXR 10 monitor and when I try to adjust the output eq settings nothing is changing. If I want to adjust any EQ it only works in the stack section.