Posts by cap217

1 Is the mic input on the kemper line or mic level? This is where I get confused about running a neve preamp that send a line output. But an sm57 into a kemper isnt boosted at all.

2 If I ran 2 mics into a mixer then I will get stereo output. I can sum to mono. But I can also do that into my daw then interface out (mono) that merged signal. This is actually better because I can check phase and even process if needed.

I have owned my Kemper for years and I have a studio but I never profiled an amp. I never had the time and I figured that the "pros" were doing the best anyways. But lately I have some time and a bunch of amps that Id like profiled. I have read the manual and watched videos but I still dont understand a few things:

1. Guitar - Kemper, Kemper - Amp in, Mic - Kemper return. That makes sense and is the easiest but maybe not the best. What if I have a mic like a neumann U87 that needs phantom power?

1. What if I want to use 2 mics? Where do you merge the 2 signals? I dont have an outboard console so I cant combine signals.

1. I have api, neve, and bae mic preamps that Id like to use. How do you use these in the profiling signal chain?

1. Does a compressor like an 1176 or distressor help the quality of the profile? Id assume it wouldnt.

1. Im still confused how you profile the preamp only. There are times that I want to use my kemper through a mesa power amp and mesa cab so Id like to profile my mesa and marshall for this instance.

I had this in another thread but probably better here. Looking for some features.

1 - How can I pick what outputs get what effects or cab IRs? Id like to run the same profiles and settings but if I use monitor out it gets reverb and cab and if I use the power amp out it gets no reverb or cab. Possible?

2 - What output should I use for a cab? Many options. I have the powered head but I also have a powered FRFR cab and use monitor out. Also, if you use Left or Right out to a mono only amp are you losing anything vs a mono out?

3 - Can I run a stereo setup with a powered head out and a powered FRFR cab? Can the Kemper amp out run Left and FRFR right?

4 - Is there a way to save as a profile and then set all the EQ controls to neutral? So tweak a profile then save it as neutral so the eq isnt all over the place.

I bought a xitone 2x12 with a Matrix amp. Its mono but it sounds really good. Need some time with it.

How can I pick what outputs get what effects or cab IRs? Id like to run the same profiles and settings but if I use monitor out it gets reverb and cab and if I use the power amp out it gets no reverb or cab. Possible?

Nope. That won’t work....

From mission:

The Gemini 2-P is a stereo speaker and requires a stereo (2-Channel) power amp. The internal power amp in the Profiler is mono (1-Channel). If you wish to use the internal power amplifier in the Profiler, this will be mono only. You can use the Gemini 1-P if you require a compact full range speaker, or the KM 212-P if guitar range is sufficient. The KM-212-P will have a higher SPL in most cases since it has 2 x 12 drivers, but these are wired in series so it is still mono.

If you require stereo, you can use a Gemini 2-P and an external 2 channel power amp, or you can use an active Gemini such as the Gemini 2. Active Gemini’s have the power amps inside the cabinet so you do not need external amps. In this case you would leave the internal amp in the Profiler unused or use it for something else.

First you said you want FRFR, now you're saying you want a real cab?

I would like to find something that looks like the 212 P but be FRFR. I thought thats what it was when I started this thread but found out it wasnt. So the Gemeni 2 is what would work it seems.

This is interesting and solves my issue if so. I dont see how a mono out from a Kemper powered head could end up stereo but I guess its possible. You hear ping pong effects via headphone because of a TRS stereo cable and the speaker out doesnt have that.

A mono/stereo option like Mesa offers is ideal for me but doesn’t exist. The Gemini passive is stereo but not mono and I have the powered Kemper so I’d need to add an amp which I don’t want to do.

I need speakers for a 2x12. Then decide if I want open or closed back. I play country to metal so that’s rough to choose.

A Mesa roadking 4x12 would be cool w a half close and half open option w different speakers.

Speaking of speakers, how are ev12l?

I talked to Mission about the KM 212 P and the Gemeni 2. The fact that I have a powered head pushes me towards the KM 212 but I am wondering if I can just use a Mesa 2x12 and throw flat speakers in it. Maybe EV12L, Celestion V90, or the Neyodomian (however its spelled) type. Kind of gives me the same thing and I have the cab.

I am cleaning up my Kemper but I want to backup what I have on my Kemper so far. This is what I have done:

-Made a bunch of folders on Rig Manager and bought profiles too and added them
    -Created a backup folder for my current profiles
    -Copy/Paste current profiles from My Profiler into the Backup folder
    -I made a backup by going to Rig Manger-Tools-Backup Content-Saved on my computer. The file was small.
    -I also from the profiler-Tools-Export Rigs

Is everything backed up?

Then I am going to:
    -Delete the profiles from My Profiler (is this what you do? will it only delete them from the profiler and nowhere else?)
    -I created a folder under Local Library with todays date and copy/paste the profiles I want
    -Then I want to copy/paste that folder/profiles into the My Profiler

Done...

Is this correct? Is there a better way? I am being cautious because it seems like my Kemper had some purchased rigs on it and I dont want to lose those. So backing them up is important. Yes I read through the manual but I want to be sure since if I delete, I cant get it back assuming my backups werent correct.

Why I am not comfortable is because when I go to Rig Manager-File-Open Profiler Backup, I dont have any available backups.

And where are effects backed up? Are effects/delays/reverbs part of the OS? I see that with the OS update the delays are in there but what about the Rig Manager Free Rig Profiles for Morph effects and pedals? If I drag them into the kemper they come in as an amp profile.

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like a mess. I really want some direct profiles bc I am using real cabs.

Question- On the profiles I download they all have cabs and the first thing I do is disable it. But how does the profile know the impact of the speaker if the profile isn’t merged or di at all? So I turn the cab off but it’s not a true di profile right?

I have found Lava to be the clearest and retain the most highs on any cable. I use Clear Connect and those are the clearest but the Ultramafic is next in line.

I want to do some DI profiling and I have 2 things in my studio that may be usable but I dont know. If neither then I guess I have to get another box.

First thing I have is this DI box. I doubt this would work and its only for DI for like a bass or something:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/livewire-pdi-double-shielded-heavy-duty-passive-direct-box/150439000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ojA5_e52QIVgrbACh2QVQOnEAQYASABEgLxfPD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295803-device^c-plaid^335491601473-sku^150439000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Then I have this David Bray LO1 which I think might work. It takes the speaker out and then converts it to a line signal:

http://www.davidbrayamps.com/lo1.html

I am a new owner so this is probably a simple thing. How do find profiles easier in the Kemper? I have to go through 400 profiles and then forget where the other one was. Id like to do a few things. I use browser mode (I dont know what performance is yet).

- Is there a way to compare 2 profiles (or more)? Say ABC and WWW profiles which would end up at the opposite end of my listings.
    - How can I recall what I was playing? Is there a last amps played section?
    - When I do find the profiles I like, how do I store them in slots that are my choice? I assume this is what performance is? How many can I save there?
    - In Rig Manager I have folders. Can I have these folders in the Kemper? It would be way easier to sort through amps that way. I guess I could just find what I like then rename everything?

--- Separate Question: If I add reverbs or delays on Rig Manager then drag to my Kemper, they auto go to the correct modulation/effect section right? Same Q with IR too.

I am new here, just got a powered Kemper and love it. I have read through old threads but they end up incomplete and the OP didnt update with his findings.

Right now I have a bunch on cabs to choose from. Marshall 4x12, Marshall vintage greenback 4x12, Mesa 4x12, Two Rock 2x12, Dr Z 2x12 blue/gold, Dr Z 2x12 h30. So I have the luxury of messing with profiles and turning the cab sim off and just changing cabs for the right sound. So if I run a Dr Z Wreck profile, I can use the real Dr Z Wreck cab and when I compare the real amp vs Kemper it so close. Then I can use a OLD Mesa profile and run it through my Mesa 4x12 and compare it to my Mesa Dual and it sounds close (Kemper might sound better). But I should downsize. I told myself that if the Kemper does what its supposed to do then I would get rid of stuff. I use the Kemper mostly for jamming in room and sometimes with a band. I am not doing shows now and I may use it for recording where it will really shine. But for now, its just jamming. I know what amps sound like and I want them to still feel the same.

So my question is about cabs. If I downsize to something like the Mission 2x12 passive, that would hopefully work. But what are my options?

-Id like a 2x12 that looks like a real cab
    -Sound great for vintage fender to modern high gain

Then I want to maybe branch out and get a stereo setup to take advantage of everything the Kemper has to offer. My rig before when I played out was a mesa dual and ran that stereo with a marshall or a 6505+ or a twin. I dont need all that baggage now.