Posts by Wheresthedug

I've never noticed any latency when using pedals through the Remote. So your post got me wondering whether I had just not been paying attention before.

Tonight I carried out a test on Wah, Pitch and Volume using the same pedals connected directly to Pedal Input 1 on the KPA and Pedal Input 3 on the Remote. I tested Wah, Volume and Pitch with each pedal (Mission EP1 and, Boss FV500H).

I didn't notice any difference in latency in any of the scenarios. There is a slight delay before the pedal kicks in from the full heel position but this is the result of the pot taper not latency and the result is the same delay whether plugged into input 1 or 3. Once past the dead spot at the heel position both inputs functioned the same as far as I could detect.

I know that Kemper support said the Remote has more latency due to technical reasons but I suspect they are referring to something like 1 - 5 ms which wouldn;t be detectable with an expression pedal in use.

I wonder if it would be possible to test the layency by recording? If you set the Wah or pitch to say 50% mix and measured the difference between the direct and effected sound in both cases that might work although I can't think how to separate the two. Another option might be to record the Git and Stack or Main outs via SPDIF and measure the lag in each case. However, I'm not sure how you would manage to ensure the pedal movement itself was the same in each test. I haven't given it much thought but there must be a way to test it empirically. Any one got any ideas?

Are you absolutely sure the clipping is a digital overload in the signal chain? Could it just be part of the booster effect itself? Do you get the same result by increasing the Amp volume by 3db? If yes, it would seem it is simply overloading but if no then it would suggest that the boost effect itself is the culprit so an alternative way of increasing the volume.

Yes, I know I can do this. And I also do know that I can adjust all profiles by turning down the Gain. But why were those profiles cranked up with so much gain? Do most people like this?

I find the same. Most profiles have way too much gain and are often much too bright for my taste but that seems to be what’s popular at the moment with the young crew. Old farts like me prefer a bitt less gain and more smoothness ( god, I’m staring to sound like my father ?).

In many cases playing at home at relatively low volume makes people prefer much more gain, bass and treble. Whereas, playing live at higher volume tends to favour less gain, bass and treble but more mids. i know that’s a massive generalisation but there is an element of truth in it. I think a lot of profiles on Rig Exchange are made by bedroom rock gods rather than pro players or engineers who know how to make a guitar sound fit in a mix. That’s why the profiles by a certain country player from Nashville and a session ace from the Netherlands are so good.

I have no knowledge of the Tapestry pedal but just googled it. It says it is a Volume pedal which is not what you want. However the PASSIVE version has the option to convert to an expression pedal using internal DIP switches. The active can’t do it.

Most pedals of this nature (Dunlop DVP, Boss FV500 etc) have two separate potentiometers. They use a logarithmic pot for volume and a linear pot for expression. This is important for proper use as an expression pedal. I would contact Tapestry and ask them to confirm that the expression pedal option is a truly linear pot. If it is and you get one please let us all know how it works for you as it looks like a great little pedal if it does the business.

Yes, the RJM stuff isn’t cheap but it is phenomenal in terms of capability, build quality and personal support. I would only use it as the control center of a full midi rig though. It would certain be overkill for just turning on and off stomps in addition to using the Stage for rigs.

Hoki Toki obviously has personal experience of the GCP and it sounds like he knows its capabilities well so I would take his advice for anything specific to that unit.

I’m not near my KPA this week to test things but I’m pretty sure Hoki Toki’s suggestion about setting the GCP switches to fixed midi commands for Stomp A, Stomp B etc should work globally on the KPA rather than needing to be reprogrammed for every rig individually so with the right firmware it may actually be able to do what you need.

You can use any TRS expression pedal just like the Mission. There is nothing special about it other than the Colour and the added toe switch.

I personally love theBoss FB500. Others swear by the Dunlop DVP3 or DVP4. Some report great results from the relatively cheap Moog But even my £11 used Zoom pedal works well enough.

I had the same problem with mine. I was literally ready to chuck it in the bin until I found out about pedal type in the system menu.

Although the manual says pedal type 1 is the right choice for most expression pedals (and as the EP1-KP is marketed as being designed for the KPA you would expect it to conform to this standard) the taper on mine was completely unusable when set to type 1. I changed to type 2 and it now works as intended. It is still not a great pedal for swells due to the limited travel but at least the travel is now fairly linear.

Using the EP1-KP as the only expression pedal is a trade off. The limited travel is what makes it such a fantastic Wah controller but is also what makes it sub optimal for everything else. If you can live with that all well and good. If like me you need a more controllable expression pedal then use the EP1 fo Wah only and use almost an other expression pedal for everything else.

Yes. The mono setting send the same signal to both sides. However, you might be better to use the main out for FOH and the monitor out for IEM which would give you independent control of volume and tone for each.

I’m not familiar with the PowerBlock but have just goggled the manual. According to schematic the master volume is indeed before the Loop Send/Return jacks, the loop also features as a potential stereo line input but it seems that the idea here was to let people plug in CD or mp3 players to jam along to and be able to change the guitar tones and levels without affecting the backing track.

It might be better to get a cheap poweramp like the EH 5mm or something (around £80) for home use.

Alternatively, send the Kemper to the main input of the Crate and keep the gain knob very low.

I can’t remember. Its a long while since I set it up on mine and I haven’t used it since I got the Remote. Hopefully, somone else with a Ground Control will chime in. If not I’ll check my settings on the Mastermind when I get a change but it might be a few days.

That’s great to hear. I must say, fortunately I haven’t had any caise for much support (other than the odd software glitch) but I’ve always got the impression they were a great company that look after their customers. Its always great to hear confirmation like this. Thanks for posting.