Posts by Wheresthedug

Hi Drog

Yes, that's pretty much what I was doing with my old amp and pedal board setup.

I ran one output from guitar to my RJM Mastermind PBC which went through all my pedals etc and into the guitar amp.

I ran the other output straight into a little Session Gordon Giltrap GC10 preamp and XLR out from there to the PA.

I could mute or activate either signal at the touch of a button. Electric only, pieazo only or combined. I could still do that with the Kemper although it would mean having extra power to front of stage and a separate stand-alone pre amp pedal. It's not the end of the world but it would be REALLY cool to be able to do everything within the Kemper for convenience and total control.

I know that the main input sockets are mono so clearly it wouldn't be possible to send both signals into the front input without Kemper redesigning the hardware. However, it should be possible to add this feature (if it doesn't already exist and I just haven't figured it out yet) in a firmware update like the parallel path feature.

If you could use the Front input for Electric signals and the Alternative Input or Return Input on the rear for the Piezo signal, the two signal paths could remain completely independent until the main output.

Electric would go through the Stack including the cabinet block but the alternative input would bypass all of this and probably enter the signal path just before the reverb. Alternatively, they could just add the ability to assign the rear inputs to the parallel signal path (for some effects) simultaneously with the front input going to the other side of the parallel path for the electric.

I should probably add this to the feature request posts rather than here.

I have a PRS P22 with a piezo in the bridge. The piezo can be sent as a blended signal through the main out or as a separate out for sending to the PA or a separate amp.

I am currently using the blended output but only switching on either magnetic OR piezo pickups not blended together. I have the KPA set up with rigs for electric and the Bert Meulendijk acoustic profiles for the piezo.

I know the KPA can't do two independent amp rigs but has anyone figured out a way to get a great blended acoustic and electric sound?

I am thinking of ways to use either the Parallel Path signal chain - but the KPA would still see a blended signal coming in so wouldn't know what to process as a Rig and what to send through the first two stomps only.

Is it possible to use the two independent outputs on the guitar and send the electric to the main input but the piezo to the return of a loop which would be post the Stack module (say block X or mod)?

OK, I just tried it with the Amp block disabled. You are right there is a difference in the sound. However, I'm not sure when I would ever use the KPA with the amp off as that's the whole point for me. Even when using it for acoustic guitar I still have the amp on even though cab is off. I use the Bert Meulendijk acoustic profiles of various mic pres etc which use the amp block so it would probably never be a problem for me.

As some others have said already, the Kemper EQ doesn't work anything like a traditional valve amp.

However, for people setting up their own valve amps in order to profile then it might still be interesting and useful to understand how a traditional tone stack actually works. This web site is full of great resources including this decsription https://robrobinette.com/How_The_TMB_Tone_Stack_Works.htm of the tonestack

While much of the principle of the Sonic Scoop article is correct some of the statements about "flat eq" and mid range on Blackface etc aren't actual true.

On most Fender/Marshall/Vox (FMV) also referred to as Treble/Middle/Bass (TMB) tone stacks the closest to a flat response is actually with both bass and treble set close to 0 and mid set on 10. It just happens that most folks don't find that a particularly appealing sound so "flat" isn't necessarily a good starting point.

Although all knobs only cut frequencies they do it in a very interactive way. Lots of people say Mesa Boogie are hard to dial in because their tone stacks are interactive. While this is true it is the same for nearly all tube amps. The circuit actually works on the basis that the Treble is the most important control as it acts as a sort of "blend control" between the treble and mid/bass. High treble settings restrict the amount of signal which is allowed to pass through to the bass knob and the bass effects how much gets to mids. However, due to the interactive nature of the design the frequency range of each (especially mids and bass) actually changes as you vary the other two.

With the 2 knob design the only difference is that the mid "control" uses a fixed value resistor instead of a variable resistor or potentiometer.

It is really easy to see it at work on a graph in real time. The best way to understand how a traditional amps tone stack works it to download the Duncan Amps Tone Stack Calculator http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/download.html which includes the tone circuits for several famous amps already but you can look up the schematic online for any amp and substitute the component values to see how it changes the effect of the tone controls. It is fascinating how counter intuitive some of them really are.

I love the Rig Manager but would find it even more useful if it had better search functionality:

1 - the ability to EXCLUDE results from a search as well as include them

2 - the ability to layer multiple searches to filter down to the result I am trying to find

3 - the ability to add more detailed notes

4 - drop down menus for main amp manufactures an and models as well as speaker cabinet manufactures, speaker configurations and speaker types.

5 - ability to filter and rank on gain "range" rather than actual gain number. i.e. all amps with 3 bars of gain are grouped together equally rather than gain values 3.45 and 3.46 being treated differently.

6 - ability to search on or exclude Studio or Direct profilies

Why?

Lets say I am looking for a Soldano SLO Studio profile with a Marshall 1960a Cabinet

I don't want FAS AXeFx or Line 6 Pod models of the amp but profiles of the real thing (could just as easily work the other way round the point is I only want one of those things not all of them). The ability to search for Soldano > SLO > excluding FAS > including Marshall 1960 etc would get me to the results.

The drop down pre defined menus (albeit with the ability to add custom entries) would make searching infinitely more useable. At the moment we all tag things the way we want so Meas Boogie might be MB, MeBo, Meas, Boggie, Messy Boagie....... which makes it difficult to achieve reliable searches.

Greater scope for notes. OK this is me being really OCD (sorry) but I like to know what the amp settings were including things like which channel, which mode within that channel (Boogies often have 3 or more), Bold or Spongey etc for power, which valves, valve or diode rectifier, main amp settings and GEQ settings. The same is true of mics and mic positions. There isn't nearly enough room for that.

Direct profiles are a major PITA for me in Rig Manager. At the moment I will be scrolling through a list of profiles and auditioning them. Typically I don't look at the name or details. I just tap the down arrow on my keyboard and play a bit. If it's not what I want it hit down and start again. This works great as long as ALL profiles in the sub group are EITHER Studio or Direct. I am not averse to Direct profiles in principle merely the way they rip my head off when I'm not expecting them and therefore haven't got a cabinet loaded :)

Organisation features:

I would like to see the ability to store songs and set list and order/reorder these more effectively (perhaps something like the way RJM's Mastermind editor works). It would also be really helpful to manage Cabinet IR's and effects chains in Rig Manager.

I'm probably the only muppet who would find this sort of stuff useful but hey ho it's out there now ;)

I am in User Group D - I don't care either way but do still read the thread ;)

Personally, I don't have any desire for an editor (certainly not unless it does run over USB and is fully integrated and even then I'm doubtful I would use it) but I realise others do seem to want it which is fair enough.

Hi,

I'm not totally sure if I fully understand your question but here is a little experiment I tried recently for what I think is a similar situation to the one you are referring to. Basically I got absolutely zero difference between both methods. As the phone audio isn't sufficient to really hear I did a short audio only clip on Soundcloud where I recorded and reamped a little loop and just toggled back and forward between the two options at random.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've usually kept the DAW fader at unity, and just set the reamp sens to the opposite of the original clean sens value - with great success.

That's the way I do it too. I think (as in I don't really know :) ) the reamp sens is basically doing the same job as the fader on the daw for people who often profile entirely from the KPA without a DAW or mixed in the signal path. I could, of course, be talking nonsense.

Thanks guy,

I understand the gain option now. I thought it was sorting by the gain ranges illustrated by the 10 rising bars graphic. If it actually sorts by the specific gain setting I can see how it would be impossible to use this as part of a multi sort list.

However, the "stable sort algorithm" definitely isn't working on my Mac. Sort by one column = OK, next click another column header and everything gets sorted by that column only. Maybe its a Mac problem or maybe its just to do with the fact that people don't always lables amps with exactly the same name.

Never mind, it's not the end of the world ;)

Thanks for your help anyway.

Alan

I rarely, use the headphone out on my Kemper. I do however use the mono switch on my desk regularly. even when mixing as its always useful to check mix still works in mono. so for me it isn't really a work around as I'm hooked up that way all the time.

The Strobo Tuner percentage inaccuracy was fixed in the last beta.

That's interesting. I didn't know there was a strobo inaccuracy. I've always used Boss TU3 or Korg Rack Mount style tuner displays. I read that strobes are more accurate so tried using the strobe in the KPA but it always ended up out of tune. When I re tuned with the bubble tuner everything was fine. I just assumed I was too stupid to use a strobe properly. I feel much better now ;)

I think gold plated jacks is audio-fool speak for separate people from as much money as possible. If you tell them it sounds better they will star believing it really does.

As for corrosion, I don't think 1950's Fender amps or '60's and 70's Marshalls had any gold plating and they seem to have lasted quite well ;)

Do you have any form of mixer, audio interface or DAW at home? If so just sent the mono signal out of the Kemper main outs to that then pan center to send to headphones.

If not you could buy a cheap headphone amp with a mono switch.

I find that just reorders everything again based on the new column rather than adding it as a second level sort.

I was wondering if you need to do that while holding shift or control or something similar. None of the combinations I've tried see to do anything though.

Are you on a Max or PC?

A couple of quick question about filtering/ordering sounds in RM

Is it possible to sort on more than one category e.g. sort by gain (low to high) then by say Amp Type so allof the lowest gain profiles come up together and within that grouping all the AC30s are next to each other then the Bassman etc.?

Is there a way to filter the search on the profile type - eg I don't want any direct profiles only Studio or I only want D.I profiles etc?

I have just realised there is a separate Rig Manager page which I should have posted this on. Can I move it there?????

I recently bought the powered head for a couple of reasons.

One of which is the portability of the head and shoulder carry bag and the fact that head works better on my studio desktop than a flight case. That's really just a mater of personal preference.

The other thing that swayed me to the head was extra set of knobs on the front panel for direct access to modulation parameters. I thought that would be really useful and might limit the ease of use of the rack version. However, in the month since I bought it haven't actually used the direct access to mod parameter knobs once so if I was doing it again I would just make the decision based on travel convenience. If you need IEM or guitar radio packs for example the ability to set them up in the rack would sway me but as I don't currently need this it wasn't an issue.

does it mean that merged profiles are better than studio profiles in general

From my (admittedly limited) understanding - no. They are just different. The Direct profiles don't necessarily allow you profile the speakers effect on the amps output load (speaker damping) wheres as studio profiles do capture this. However, Direct profiles know exactly which part of the sound is amp (all of it) while switching off the cab portion of a studio profile requires the KPA to estimate which part is amp and which part is speaker. It seems to do a pretty good job of this but it won't be the same as profiling just the amp on it's own. Try both and decide which works best to your own ears.