Posts by Terence T

The Kemper is very, very tweakable and as such there are many variables. So what works for me, might not work for you. As you've already seen, there are different answers to this question.

I'll give you my solution, which may help. I;d advise trying out many suggestions to find one that works for you. Maybe you'll find your own.

None of the stock profiles worked for me, I use a topjimi head and Mix Berlin cab. I subtlety tweak the tube bias, the direct output and power sagging. I always raise the pick level in the input.

I'll then do a few takes, with the eq and reverb in my DAW. I tend to switch off everything in the Kemper apart from the amps, no reverb, effects. Just delay.

In case you haven't miked an amp before, bear in mind that you're hearing a digital imprint of a miked cabinet. That will feel and sound different to a real cab by itself.

If I get 'lost,' I'll go back to a real tube amp to reset my ears.

Like I said, there's no right or wrong method. I would recommend trying out some topjiki profiles, plus others that have been recommended.

That's how I handle my 'recording fatigue,' if you like. The best way that I can put it, is that going back to an actual tube amp for a while, resets my ear. When I go back to the Kemper, I know what I'm looking for and can appreciate what the Kemper is doing.

Just my little technique that works for me.

I mainly use two TopJimi amps, a Jubilee and a Bognor Ecstacy. I chose them as I like the 'tube,' sound they have. I run them through Mix Berlins Orange cabs, found in one of the Mesa packs. I find the cabs clean and punchy. Then, a few minor tweaks. Always very subtle with the tweaking, that includes post EQ in the DAW (FabFilter). But that's just what I'm doing right now, maybe it'll be something else by the end of the year.

So if Ive got this right, Kemper - Monitors and Kemper - Interface - Monitors is all good. When you hear what you've recorded, its not so good.

Try downloading Reaper. (Free Trial)
    If that doesn't make any difference, try out a different interface. I'd recommend RME.

Let us know how it goes.

So I'm going to do an update from this thread, which I did last Jan.

Near done with Kemper, any suggestions before it goes up for sale?

Lockdown prevented me from getting out and trying new gear, so I continued to work on the Kemper before selling it. Much to my surprise, there's been a dramatic improvement. I've got some ok results out of it. Easily the best tones I've ever recorded actually. Still haven't managed to compare to a load box or a mike/amp setup, but its been so much more satisfying, its unbelievable.

I think there's quite a few angles you can take using this gear. So what works for one, might not work for the other. Here's my angle anyway; combining the amps with the cabs. I find there's a massive difference in quality not only with the profiles, but in finding the right amp AND cab. I'll usually start a session off with a blast on my Marshall, so I can get the sound I want in my head. That enables me to appreciate what the Kemper is doing a bit more. If I get stuck, I'll go back to analogue for a while and then plug back into the digital realm with fresh ears.

As someone pointed out to me, we're dealing with a simulation of a miked cab here, not a cab alone. That's also something I wasn't quite taking into consideration before.

I'll still say it's a bit pricey, and I might mike an amp later in the year and decide that's more my thing. But it has been working out with the Kemper lately. After my moan on the previous thread, its only fair to give a balanced appraisal.

Patriots, agree that a Kemper will sound like a Kemper and Eleven like a Eleven.

Where the Kemper differs IMO is that what you have on a modular is what you have. Yes, you can tweak.

What you put into the Kemper with regards to profiles, makes a massive difference. That's why I hugely recommend finding the profiles of amp heads you like and play around with the cabs. Many are playing with the stock profiles, and thinking this is it. It definitely isn't.

Other tweaks can also make a massive difference and there are many youtube vids on this.

I've had huge problems with the Kemper, and the above is what has helped me. I'm still overcoming some hurdles but progress has certainly been made. And believe me, I was cursing this thing.

With regards to sample rate, I've actually dropped from 88.2 to 44.1 as of last year using SPDIF. Very debatable topic, but I reckon if gear is good, it should sound good at CD quality.

Just to keep my opinion balanced, I do have good moments with the Kemper also. Put a couple of riffs down this afternoon and was happy. So its a love/hate relationship I'm having.

Tweaks that also helped me, pick sensitivity. If you're a fast rhythm player like me, this is helpful. True cabinet may help. Tone should be adjusted very subtlety, if you go too far than you loose the character of the original profile. When you hit playback, you should be happy as far as I'm concerned. Post eq should be subtle, and just so it fits into the mix. If your post eq'ing to get a good tone, you don't have a good tone.

Occasionally take a break, play through a tube amp for a while. I often find this helps alleviate any ear fatigue and makes me appreciate the Kemper.

Try a different guitar. As said, I've struggled with my LP but strat is doing a lot better.

If you're still struggling, get a load box and try that. Load box technology is starting to take off a bit, by that I don't mean the OX which is overpriced. Torpedo Live and Captor look interesting, as does Suhr.

Can't rule out that there isn't anything wrong with my unit as I haven't had my friend come over and A/B his and mine.

I've spoken to quite a few of the "major" profiler guys and had a few of them reply.

I even A/B'd recordings with one of them and even though we used the very same guitar and audio interface, there was a major difference in tone.

Both via phone recordings and via DAW. So I'm thinking there is something wrong with my unit and will return it for them to look at when the Covid situation passes.

I'll also be sending back my Kemper for them to have a look at it, for the same reason. But I suspect that there is nothing wrong with the Kemper.

Many commercial profilers are using very high end interfaces and post processing. Most of the time, what they demo and what you hear once you've bought the profile will not sound the same.

I have a Les Paul Studio also, and its been made redundant by the Kemper. My strats sound ok, by mixing the heads and cabs of different profiles. Post EQ very important. Never been able to get satisfaction with my Les Paul though.

Know of someone else who had the same problem, he switched to an amp and load box. I'll be trying that also.

I agree that doesn't sound right to me. It sounds like a fuzz pedal. Sorry it's been such a bummer for you. Hope you can try out another one to establish if yours is faulty.

Are you using a Strat bridge single coil pickup in the clip? Does it sound great through other amps? Most of the Strats I've worked on had the pickups set too high, especially if the owner was going for high gain sounds with vintage pups. Just another potential avenue to explore.

I'm at the beach, but will try to post my own sample of that profile with a Strat when I get back to civilisation.

All my guitars sound fine through my amp. Even checked them through a POD.

The Les Paul I never put through the Kemper, as it sounds worse than the clip I posted.

Me neither.

I still get the feeling that the interface is playing games with you.

With all the controls (Inputs/outputs/EQ etc) in their default/out of the box state, and the monitors plugged directly to the Kemper main outs, a new/untouched profile should sound great at volume.

The RME interface seems to be fine, I've tested it using Amplitube and it sounds normal. If Kemper confirms there's nothing wrong with their product when I send it in for servicing, I'll be in touch with RME anyway.

Tried my setup with both my computers, no difference.

Done all the above Per, but thanks for the suggestions. No active pickups.

Didn't buy it to profile my own amp, but to get profiles of amps I don't have access to.

Ok, but I'll send the files in a message so it doesn't start another argument. Switching to my amp for a few days though, as my ears need a rest.

It's a fair assessment, though. This is the internet.

Your concerns this time are near verbatim to what you posted in mid-2018. One can't help but wonder. Why you care if someone incorrectly identifies you as a troll or not makes no sense at all. Fearing ridicule from audio makes even less sense to me.

The questions on Kemper go the same path.

-I have problems with the Kemper.
      Post us a sample.

-I'd rather not.
    Then its your fault, we're trying to help you.

-
    Ok, here's the sample.
    That's not a Kemper, you're a troll. Its your fault, a Kemper doesn't sound like that.

Same Line 6 mentality. Most probably the same people. Wouldn't say it fills me with fear, just find it totally pathetic.

I've posted what solution I'll be attempting. To anyone who has just bought a Kemper and not happy with it, take it back. Don't bother ask here and don't bother post your samples. There's some good people on this forum, but a product that attracts Line 6 morons in droves is a bad sign.