Posts by raphaelnano

You're a gem, mate. <3

Thank you so much for your kind words my brother! Much appreciated! :D<3

I totally agree with you, mate, I noticed that this forum's members are much kinder and really want to help even tho you guys had to re-explain some very basic things that are boring.

I thank everyone who took the time to read, listen and write their suggestions and tips to help.. knowing how cool you guys are here, I will definitely be more active on this forum. :thumbup::thumbup:

Whilst I don't think that is totally it, its definitely a part of it..
    In the past when I bought a new amp, I never tried it in the shop...why? Because I knew it would sound totally different to what I was used to and what it would be like in a band context. Therefore I could not tell if it was right...I bought mainly based upon research and reviews...crazy eh?

Then I would spend the next few months learning if I really liked it. I have the same problem with profiles...I go and try another profile that everyone says is ace and usually I quite like it....until I go back to my original which I prefer. I think that is 99% my ears :(

The good news is that its so flexible, the sound is in there....my biggest problem is I could never work out what was "wrong" with any sound I didn't like.

Now that's a great mindset when buying new gear I absolutely agree.. will definitely have that mindset next time I buy gear! Thank you very much for that, my friend! :thumbup::thumbup:

Oh man, what a great forum Kemper has 8)

I was going to suggest swapping out some different cabs perhaps? Don't give up Raph - your playing deserves what the Kemper has to offer you, give it some time! :thumbup:8o

Thank you so much mate!! :D I did try some cabs just now and the difference in tone is just huge! Will be trying all the cabs! I think I heard a cover of someone using Top Jimi YJM100 with EVH 4X12 cab... he sounded just great!

I'm very happy I'm feeling more comfortable with the Kemper all because of you guys.. took me awhile to save for it since I'm 19 and a newcomer in Canada, I even didn't buy myself a car just to get a Kemper so I thought I made a big mistake when I first got it.. not anymore :P

Thanks a lot again my friend! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you very much brother! No doubt that I will definitely like the Kemper more as it can produce any guitar tone. I actually kinda started liking the profiles I have (not fully but I'm definitely not thinking about selling it anymore :D ). I have been studying the Kemper for about a year .. the tones I heard on YouTube and the portability when gigging just blew my mind, and even tho I wasn't happy with it when I got it, I am starting to feel MUCH better knowing it's a matter of time, all because of you guys! Thank you very much again! :thumbup::D

Couple of comments from me:

1) I am convinced the sound you want is in the Kemper so you will get there but
    2) I think this is a definite case you being used to digital amps. The sound you love and have got used to seem more "processed" to me...not a bad thing...but less like a tube amp ( as you mentioned).

I hope you find "that tone", your playing sounds great btw:)

Thank you very much mate! :D you're totally right, the problem was with me not being used to playing with raw mic'd tube amp tones.

A huge problem with me is, I moved from Iraq where there was only fake Chinese gear so I didn't try any good gear, I only dreamt about playing Gibsons and Fenders.. so growing up to seeing my idols playing Gibsons and Fenders (and how they make string bends look so easy with their guitars) I expected A LOT from a good guitar so I got a Gibson Custom from Turkey and I was disappointed it didn't improve my playing (which was what I expected), it just felt nicer in the hand.. after I got used to it, and accepting the fact that it isn't what I expected, it grew on me for some reason and I love that guitar more than myself now.

I think this is the case with amps thing.. I just gotta accept it isn't the sound I expected and I will eventually get used to it and start loving it. :)

Also, I have an eq locked in the X slot, where I have low cut around 125 hz and a high cut around 8 Khz. Had it like that so long that I forgot to mention it. That may take care of some shrillness and fatten up the tone for you.

Will definitely do that as well, Patrick! Thank you for your suggestions! :thumbup::thumbup: I believe all the tips I got here will get me much closer to the sound I'm after! :thumbup:

Oh wow! It is definitely worth a try then! Thank you Gary! :D

I do use thicker picks for dynamics and speed (John Pitrucci Jazz by Dunlop), these picks' size and thickness are great for my playing style, not so sure about the sound though! I will get as many picks as I can (Or go to a local music store with my Kemper) and try them all! :thumbup:

I'm very sorry for not knowing how to explain! I am a noob when it comes to amps and cabs, I was a flamenco guitarist, never dealt with all that stuff (picks, amps, pedals, cables, cabs, pickups, string gauges, you name it. Good days).. :D I will check the options you mentioned and I hope (/believe) that is what I am trying to fix! Thank you very much, my friend! :thumbup::thumbup:

It might be an idea to post a clip or two of some of those examples that you say are much-worse, Raphael.

It'll be easier for us to identify the issue if you can provide exaggerated examples of it, I feel.

On my CrapMac™ mono speaker (built into the computer) I think I can hear something, but if it's a "worse" example, that'd really help I reckon.

Especially Clarity. That'll often exaggerate unwanted fizz, IMHO, especially as one approaches higher settings.
    EDIT:
    Raphael, it's worth noting for your benefit, I feel, that there's never been an issue with fizz using the Kemper. There've been "legitimate" criticisms about a very-slight roll-off of low frequencies (below 100Hz, which TBH shouldn't matter for guitar, and even then, I and many others find the unit stellar for bass guitar), and a "cocked-wah" effect that some with good ears have detected in the mid range of some Profiles (subtle, but there for some nevertheless). The point being that excessive fizz is something that's always been able to be put down to "user error", meaning that it's the choice of guitar, PU's, settings on the unit, monitoring or one or some of the many potential pitfalls others have pointed out.

Thank you very much guys!

Monkey_Man, thank you for your tips and infos! I recorded some clips using my Gibson Les Paul Custom, for some reason, I just can't sound like the YouTube demos which is why I bought the Kemper. Maybe I'm not used to work with tube amps and how they sound "raw". I only used digital units. It's crazy I prefer my very cheap DigiTech RP255 lead sound (Click Here).

Bommel, thank you for taking the time to explain and for your presets! You'll find some worse clips now and check the video I linked in this post (Here) .. This is a DigiTech RP255 and I prefer this for lead work and I am mainly a soloist. I will try your 11Rack profiles, thank you again for that! :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Guys, I apologize if I am not making any sense, I'm trying to love the sounds from my Kemper and trying to jam without thinking. I just can't like the sounds :(

NOTE: The way I liked my 11 Rack was turning "Axis" Off.. I don't know what's that since I have never mic'd a cab, but it took the harshness away, It had the harshness I am experiencing with the Kemper now, but when I turned Axis off, it was much smoother.

What guitar do you use?
    I solved a part of a similar trouble by changing the positoon of the Pick ups of my strat. They were to close to the string.

As I have PU's with a littel higher output I still have to reduce the gain of most of the profiles and have to check if definition in the Amp-Parameter has to be reduced.
    The clean sense in the input parameter I have set to - 1

Thank you Sharry! I use a Gibson Les Paul, it is kinda sounding like a strat now TBH :D I posted the "good" profiles clips.. many others were much fizzier and snappier and some were dull. I am even thinking of selling my Kemper, getting an eleven rack, buying a bass and another guitar, but knowing this is the best digital unit. I am sure the problem is with me so I am trying to get used to it and trying to find so many ways before I sell it and regret. :/

Welcome! +1 on the reset.... I would plug some headphones directly into the KPA and see if the sounds you speak of are still there, do this before and after a reset.

Thank you Zapman! So I think this is how it's supposed to sound like... my ears are so used to digital for over 9 years to the point tube tones are sounding digital to me :D:D I posted some clips :)

Welcome Raph! Make sure you do a backup - before reset, you don't want to lose those rigs! :thumbup:

Thank you my friend! I reset it yesterday and I didn't take the time to backup it up since I exported all the profiles from Rig Manager (The original owner was kind enough to put all the rigs in a USB for me!).. Now I lost all my effects :cursing::D .. I think I will just download a firmware from Kemper and they'll all be back (I hope) :thumbup: I posted some clips :)

Hi Bommel! Thanks a lot for your clips and your suggestions! Your profiles are very well profiled! I tried everything but I am still not really feeling it :( I use Marshall Headphones which are good quality. :) Here are the clips.. (I am sorry for my sloppy playing and timing)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a project I made with the eleven rack, it was one-take thing and decided to redo it with the Kemper but the sounds are making this sound too thin IMO.

A solo using JCM800 in Eleven Rack is linked above in case none haven't heard it yet :D

Oh and, I am lucky enough to have my Eleven Rack preset with me, if you want, I will send it to you, and you profile it and I will buy it from you for as much as you want :thumbup:

Thank you very much, Gary! :) I did reset it yesterday, checked the output, all the cabs options (In output menu and in the stack) and my audio interface input is not clipping. I believe this is how it is supposed to sound like, and this is why I said "Problem with ME" in the title. It could be my ears being used to darker sound and not THAT snappy. But the fizz is clear.. another way to explain what I'm hearing is, it's like an extra layer of fizziness on top of a good Marshall tone. I will post clips of the Kemper compared to my old Eleven rack in a second! :)

Hi guys, hope you're all enjoying your day with your Kemper.

This will be a detailed post so I will summarize it first. I will post more details below if you need them.

My Kemper just doesn't sound nice with distortion profiles, I have high end profiles, cab is on, it is connected correctly but somehow sounds fizzy and never organic to my ears.. I much prefer my presets in my eleven rack! My kemper "kinda" doesn't sound like the demos. And I kinda regret buying my Kemper TBH.

If you know profiles with clear organic distortion PLEASE let me know! ( Something that sounds like Hotel California lead tone by Felder, Joe Bonamassa, or even my tone that I linked)

Now to more details if you wanna read them.

First of all, I have never used a tube amp.. I lived in iraq and we didn't have good gear there so I am not experienced with the "real" thing. Now that I have moved to Canada, I got my Kemper, got it a week ago and it had a lot of high end profiles (M Britt, tone junkie, and many). I love Marshall tones so I got 4 packs from Top Jimi. I got a bogner profile too (the amp that Steve Lukather uses). I connect it to Focusrite 2i4 MKii with 2 mono cables from Main Outs (Stereo selected on Kemper.. and it does work as stereo!). On my audio interface, "line" is selected and I am using logic pro but for some reason it sounds harsh and I can clearly hear fizziness and it's really annoying me.. and yes I tried the definition, EQ and clarity controls, didn't do much .. I owned eleven rack and it just sounded more organic and full, and JCM800 was much clearer (Here are clips). Kemper demos sound great, but it just has more fizziness when I use it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read!