Posts by ToneDeaf

The main site's use of shading is IMHO just-about-perfect for the forum.

This!

I was totally going to take a screenshot of the Rig Exchange part of the site and show how much better the font-color, font-weight and the colors are in general . It's easy though, just click this : https://www.kemper-amps.com/rig/exchange

Notice the darker font (RGB 38,38,38) instead of the the one here which just does not pop against the same background (RGB 80,94,91).

Please at least make the font be the same as on the RigExchange. There really is not enough contrast with this light one.

And also, the strange 'W' looking browser tab icon , please change it to the normal Kemper icon, like in Rig Exchange

For me it's unpowered version with an active cab that cost $1500

(I put money aside for it now)

Get the point? I want better than the powered version

Just to play devil's advocate, you can still get a $1,500 active monitor with your powered Kemper and use it the exact same way.

It's just that if you don't want to carry said expensive speaker to the farmer's market or coffee shop or wherever, you can then take your old beatup 1x12 cab and play through that. And for the people who are trying to get a good deal on turnips or slowly sip their soy latte the difference in tonality won't matter. ;)

That being said, I also have the unpowered version that is hooked up to a mixer through Main L/R and to an active studio monitor through its Monitor Out.

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I would recommend doing a search on this. I would estimate that 10% of all topics deal with this very question. ^^

If you have the money, there is no reason not to go powered. Just remember that it is mono. The main Kemper output is of course stereo.

It is most likely cheaper to buy a separate (two channel) power amp. On the other hand who would want to haul that around.

So there, I am glad I could help :P

The only disadvantage of the powered Kemper is the lesser amount of money left in your wallet. :)

The powered has all the connectors the non-powered does PLUS the speaker connector from the power amp. So you can still use the (stereo if you want) Main Outs to connect powered speakers or go to a mixing board.

Just like a normal amp head, for the speaker connection of the powered Kemper, you want a passive cab.

One thing to consider is whether you want the rack mount or the toaster form factor. Toaster has more knobs but does not directly fit in a rack.

Also, if you decide to buy, I would highly recommend adding to card at Musician's Friend and starting a chat. I had a coupon that did not work for the Kemper but was still able to score some goodies after that chat.

Is there a profile setting to go back to the old format?

If the idea was to make it cool and modern, surely there is a way to choose a different skin - say the old one .

So much empty space around everything but hey, we have circular member icons now!

(Also missing the "Cancel" from adding a new message, I guess you have to back out of the page in the browser now.)

Welcome to the forum!

One of the greatest things about the Kemper is that it allows a bunch of different "workflows" for guitar players.

If you are a guitar cab person, you don't have to give that up. Get a powerhead and then keep your favorite cab.

If you are ok going the FRFR / PA / headphone / IEM route, you can still do that and have perfect results.

There is no "better" solution, it's up to you. Just to give you some perspective, I have some buddies who would never play on anything less than a real 4x10 cab. (As we are getting older, they compromised, just a few years ago, they would no do anything less than a 4x12 :D ). On the other side of the spectrum is me, I play with my kids on a bunch of different instruments (keyboards and woodwinds) so everything goes to a mixer and we listen on a powered PA system.

For the profiling it's best to image it taking a snapshot of your current amp setting and recreating that. If you had the gain cranked, the profile will have high gain. If you were on the clean channel, you'll get a profile with clean tones. In general it is recommended to profile with no amp effects (like a spring reverb that we all love), the Kemper has excellent effects on its own that you can enable / disable with a press of a button. (You can dial in more parameters for any effect that I'd ever want ;) ).

The one thing that is not self-evident but still very true is that turning DOWN the gain on a profile yields great results. The opposite is not true, but if you get a mid gain profile, you can totally make it like a clean tone profile with just the turn of a knob.

As someone said, search the forum, there are threads here about acoustic profiles (and everything else) that you'd probably find very interesting.

No effects would kill the whole idea with a small portable gigging device.

Maybe. However what I am saying is new box on your already existing pedal board. So you keep everything you have plus you add the Kemper Stomp Box.

That way you get the profiles that you like - you don't have to learn and program another device like the Line6 one. You still get to go to the mixer directly. You could still get an effects loop and maybe even a monitor out from the new box.

Now that I just thought of it (well, some of it, most of the credit goes to @Monkey_Man for the other topic).

Kemper please make the K2 a KSB (Kemper Stomp Box) on which I can load a few actual Kemper profiles and it has a stereo DI out as awesome as the toaster has.

Small, no effects, just a few profiles with like two switches, say pass-through and kickass 8o .

"Kickass" would be like a channel change on an amp, or really a rig change in a Performance.

If you had something like this, all of us simple bass dudes would add to cart on this asap.

@Locrain It sure is not an easy question.

I have to say though that - as you said - most people would not miss the profiling feature too much. Thing is I tried it, felt really good about myself and I don't think I would buy the high end microphones that I would need to actually profile or build the amp isolation "space" that is needed. I would much rather spend ~$10-20 (each time :D ) to get the profiles.

On the other hand, not having the effects - I believe - would be a differentiator. You want to go with a full Kemper, nothing changes. However for people who have a love for some pedals - be it a Golden Horsie or a FreqOut - the cheaper alternative or getting a Kemper pre-amp would be there.

Being one who plucks few fat strings this would be right there a win! I would take a Kemper Bass DI box over anything on the market today, no questions asked.

And I think a lot bands having to play in a coffee shop with minimal space but a PA that the venue has would feel the same.

I would recommend against it, but Kemper could make it that you'd have to have a "real" Kemper registered before you could Rig Mgr the profiles onto the KSB (Kemper Stomp Box) ;)

Great topic.

@Monkey_Man Yes, it would be great if we could get a mini-Kemper with say 32 profiles pre-stored in a stompbox form factor. Getting all the effects would be nice but I bet that's what takes most of the real time processing. Modding the guitar signal according to the profile itself - as I imagine it - is probably not that much real-time CPU power.

Well, even if it is, CPUs are cheap now :D

Having a box on the pedal board that is an amp emulator with a few Kemper profiles would be spectacular. Then we could use the Rig Manager to copy our favorite few profiles onto it and it would observe the same MIDI commands to change them.

Yes, you can use MIDI. The overwhelming majority of the Kemper MIDI spec is very well documented.

I would love to have a remote, just could not quite afford it when we got the Kemper. What I did do was get a Behringer FCB1010 and the Eureka chip.

It works surprisingly well. Performance rig changes, effects on / off, even the looper works with it. Also, built really well and sturdy.

Now naturally the little Behringer will not be quite as great as the real Kemper Remote is but if you want to just delay that purchasing decision (like we did), it would be a good solution.

Edit: Link to FCB with Eureka : https://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom/pa

Classic from the 80s. Still love it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.