You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 12:57am

Thanks.
I'll check it tonight..... But even if this is correct and causes the bugs how can I avoid them? Should I look at every profile and check if it's not 0 kb before I import it to the KPA???????

Edit: Checked the files and no files with 0 Kb.

Ok - until we get a rating system or a way to mark files the only way to help others is identify the corrupt kipr files. Do you remember which you loaded that may have been corrupt?

The corruption though may not be in the uploaded profile but when the profile is downloaded, copied to the USB stick, imported by the KPA, or at some point after it's already on the KPA. By the way, copying to and from a USB stick is a notoriously unreliable process because of the delayed read/write caches that operating systems use. Another reason why direct USB functionality for the KPA would be great.
Windows does not use delayed write for USB (removable) memory.

Are you sure about that? What versions of windows don't?

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 7:59pm

Actually, this is a policy. On my system I disabled it, so I can remove USB sticks at any time (given not file operation is occuring).
Default is write-cache, so you will get notified by windows that the removal might have lead to corrupted data if you didn't eject the device properly.
Timo

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 8:16pm

Actually, this is a policy. On my system I disabled it, so I can remove USB sticks at any time (given not file operation is occuring).
Default is write-cache, so you will get notified by windows that the removal might have lead to corrupted data if you didn't eject the device properly.
Timo

Exactly.

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 8:26pm

As I thought also. So the moral of the story:

ALWAYS stop the device before removal. NEVER remove without using "Safely Remove Hardware"

bd

Wednesday, May 2nd 2012, 6:34am

Default on Windows Vista and 7 is write cache turned off.

Wednesday, May 2nd 2012, 11:52am

Default on Windows Vista and 7 is write cache turned off.

I stand corrected, "Quick Removal" is in fact default under Windows 7. Still, it is still safer to use the "eject device" function, since it assures you that there is no file activity.
Timo