You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

• "guitarnet70" started this thread

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 3:49pm

Zoom ms-50g

This look like a nice, small, cheap backup to keep in the gigbag...

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 8:58pm

Zoom has been making some great units lately. I've got a B3 for my bass, and people say the G3 is a nice unit. The effects in my B3 are great, although the amp sims are are nowhere near the level of the Kemper profiles. These new stompbox units are effects only I believe.

These are supposed to retail for around $99. There will be this one, a bass version, and a bluetooth version that can be controlled by an iPhone or Android phone. I imagine the bluetooth version will be more expensive.

For a pocket sized unit with 6 effects at once, these will be hard to beat.

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 11:06pm

Wow that looks pretty cool! I had the G3 and it was great. But had to sell it to help fund the Kemper. I bought a G5 when my Kemper was being serviced and just couldnt get along with it. I will definitely try this one out. Thanks for the heads up!

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 12:24pm

I was looking at a Pocket POD or Korg Pandora for a battery operated FX unit but this seems to be a good alternative.

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 4:26pm

I tried the MS-50G yesterday when I was at the guitar store to get a new delay pedal for my acoustic rig. They just had received it this week.

On one hand - this is really cool. It's cheap and it does a lot of things. The MS-50G has amp sims and a bunch of effects (even some that the KPA doesn't have like acoustic sim, harmonizer, pitch shifter) and is comparable to the G3 (sound, processing power - it doesn't offer all the features though). You can have 6 effects at the same time and use the left / right buttons on the side of the footswitch to navigate through the chain. If you work with a pedal board and want a swiss army knife stompbox, the MS-50G is a good choice.

Looking only at the delay effect - which was why I went to the store - the options I compared were the TC Flashback, the Eventide TimeFactor and the MS-50G. I opted for a TC Flashback, cause I wanted something that has the ability to sound digital clean. I couldn't get the Zoom's delay to stay clean on the repeats. If money wouldn't matter, I would have gone for the Eventide TimeFactor, which costs almost 3x as much as the TC. Sound quality wise, the step from the Eventide to the Flashback seemed about as big as the step from the Flashback to the Zoom.

Although the MS-50G was tempting, especially at the price point, I left the store without it cause it didn't do anything better than gear that I already have. If I wouldn't already own a PocketPOD as an emergency backup rig, I would have bought it without thinking twice, but if you're looking for a great sounding pedal, I guess the one trick ponies will always win.
(Yes, I kept my tube amps and stomp boxes when I bought the KPA...)

Sunday, September 23rd 2012, 6:06pm

I'm spoiled by the KPA sound, so bought a second one for backup. No substitutes! :love:
Now in the north Georgia mountains. Any of you near there?

Friday, November 9th 2012, 6:19pm

I've got one today, just fiddled with it for about 20 min and it has taken me about 5 min to get something that is somehow usable and could hold me over water for a gig. Let's be clear: is nowhere near the Kemper but for the price is absolutely ok and at a quick first audition the fx are not bad....
More about it next week after some learning....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

Tuesday, November 13th 2012, 2:44pm

Sent back to Thomann today. Nice little toy, the FX are not bad at all and it does really a lot of things for the price (lot of value for the money) but I can not live with the amp tones. Cleans are ok, usable....crunch are... :( 8| , mild lead ones are ;( , and singin' lead tones are.... :wacko: :pinch: . I would rather finish the gig with my Ovation than switch it on as backup...I think 1 year with Kemper has spoiled my ears...

Rescator

Intermediate

Tuesday, November 13th 2012, 2:49pm

I'm spoiled by the KPA sound, so bought a second one for backup. No substitutes! :love:
+100 !!!! :D
Tom Andersons guitars >Kemper>QSC's and/or JP Le Roux amp and Mesa Cab

Wednesday, November 14th 2012, 1:08am

+100 !!!! :D

Yep. That's what I'm talkin' about :thumbsup:
Now in the north Georgia mountains. Any of you near there?