USB port on the backside -> what for ?

• Hi community, as I'm getting bad recording results i'm thinking about a new solution. Actually, I connect the Kemper to a Behringer Xenyx 1202, from there over USB to an iMac. The sound i'm getting is very very poor, not to compare with the sound i'm getting over my Rocktron velocity 300 hooked straight into a Marshall 2x12 cab.
    I was wondering about the USB-Port on the backside of the Kemper: Could the Kemper be used that way as an audio interface in the (hopefully) near future ? Are there any rumors ? I've had an POD HD Pro before, which worked very fine as an audio interface this way.
    Greetings,

Niki

• It will not be used as audio interface. Though it seems like a nice idea first, you only get more and more problems with this concerning monitoring and audio routing. Just get an interface with SPDIF and you will be fine...

Nonetheless i could imagine that the USB port will be used for something really cool soon ....

• The sound i'm getting is very very poor, not to compare with the sound i'm getting over my Rocktron velocity 300 hooked straight into a Marshall 2x12 cab.

Just to make sure: I assume you're using the monitor out with the cab simulator off to drive the Marshall cab, and the main outs (where the cab sim is active) for the connection to your computer, right?

By sending a signal with the cab sim to the Marshall cab, you would have two cabs in your chain (one "virtual" and one real) shaping your sound; on the other hand, sending a raw preamp signal without the cab sim (and without the actual Marshall cab of course) to your computer would definitely sound very bad.

Even when doing it right, there's bound to be a difference between the real Marshall cab you're using and the virtual cab in the rig (which may be profiled from a completely different brand and model); but the fact that you describe the sound as "very very poor" makes me think something might be wrong.

• Thanks for your answers ! By now I figured out, that I can get the best results by using the headphone jack, but I guess the best way would be the SPDIF connection (concerning to your post, tylerhb, an tons of posts I've read in the past few hours).

• The Behringer must not be the reason for your poor recording results (but it can). What is your exact signal chain and what do you want to record? The Sound of the KPA with cab sim or the sound of your Rocktron Velocity with Marshall 2x12?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Okay, seems like I justed figured out the main problem: The I/O puffer settings were wrong; after fixing this, everything works fine. Right now, my signal chain is: Guitar->KPA->Left main output->Behringer->iMAC->Logic (with correct I/O puffer settings :) )
    Sorry for bothering you, but I'm just starting with recording, I'm really new to this.
    Anyways, thanks for your help, I really like this forum with it's helpful users !

• Nice to hear that it works now! I can imagine that you'll get even better results with a decent audio interface, because first the Xenyx is a mixer, not an audio interface. I heard nothing good about the mixer-integrated audio interfaces...

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)