Rig Manager

• No Mac version in the beginning?? :-/
    Why going native anyhow? A nice web-based service would be far better.

I found this with a Google Search (click it for a larger picture):

This actually looks like a young intern has played the first time with some .NET programming ... ;)

Edited once, last by webdiver ().

• I'm happy for it for the very fact that Kemper listened, which means our other requests might come in time as well,
    but fellas, we have a librarian.

We've had it for quite a while, actually. And it works great.
    Just doesn't have the Kemper logo on it.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• There are so many cross-platform programming languages and frameworks available in this day and age that it's highly unusual. If they are a month apart that is fine but, in the computer music world, usually things are Mac-based first then the Windows version comes later (take most professional level audio interfaces for example).

A hyperactive programmer with a good dose of Red Bull can knock out a simple editor/librarian in one or two nights so, I think maybe they need to throw some resources in that direction! :P

J

Really?

I must really suck then... :whistling:

Plus what's with all the critics already just by looking at one screenshot?

Well for what I am concerned (and this after spending many many hours on the process of designing and creating a librarian), thank you Kemper for finally giving us this update for free.

PS: We all bough the profiler knowing that such application wasn't available before, so there is no point saying that they should have provided it in the first place... ;)

Now hurry up with the foot controller (I am tired of my fcb 1010 midi monster) so I can give you some more money. :P

• ... Why going native anyhow? A nice web-based service would be far better.

I disagree on this. I'm pretty glad there's still software that doesn't jump on the web-based app service & cloud hype. I prefer to have software installed locally, independent from web access. If there's an additional (and optional) link to the Rig Exchange, fine. But I would hate if it was required to use it.

Regarding the "Win first, Mac later" issue ... all I can say is: I offered them my help, having 20 years of experience creating professional dual platform applications. They didn't even bother to say yes or no thanks, no reaction at all. Anyway, I'm glad something is coming soon, just hope it will have all the functionality we need to speed up our rig management considerably. Don't want to mess around with some half baked alpha state software.

• I'm very pleased that this is finally happening - I feel sorry for the Mac users having to wait longer but I'm personally very happy to get this much needed software.

Mac folks - forgive me if this is a silly question because I know virtually nothing about macs...... Is there a possibility this will work in the PC emulation mode or will doing that stop you using your daw? Not ideal but a possible workaround until 'later in the year?'

As I said, probably a silly question that is showing my knowledge on macs to be tiny so go easy on me!!

• Well it has to be seen if it works in parallels (which you have to buy, and then have a actual windows license which is also not free). There are free alternatives like virtualbox (still need a windows license).
    So its not really free (if you don't have a windows license) and it takes away cpu cycles and is clunky.

But it should work. I really do not like to have anything else open when i'm working in my DAW, but until we have a mac version it will have to do.
    When the link is here i will try to get it to work in either parallels or virtualbox and post a howto for the people that do not know how.

Or you can dual boot with bootcamp. Not really handy if your DAW is on the mac side. :)

• RigManager is designed to be cross platform. It was designed with Windows and MacOS in mind. The Windows version will be out first, Mac users can run it in bootcamp or parallels among others. We know, this is not idea but since _one_ side had to be finished first, we believe this is the better approach.
    For those who believe that they can program something like RigManager over a rainy weekend, you might want to check it out before making assumptions ...
    best, gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Sorry, but running it over bootcamp breaks your whole workflow. Not really something you would like to do.

Parallels is not free, and so is the windows license. Why do we need to pay for another OS when we have a good working one?
    Its a bit bad form to say that people should make a workaround to make it work :) Even suggest paying for software.

If you made it cross platform, why is the mac version not ready?
    I'm a programmer and lead a team of programmers, i really want to know why you would not release both. Please be technical.

Over a weekend, i would say not, but given the knowledge of the hardware you are working with and the people available. I would say with 2 people this could be made in a month.
    We have made much more complex software before. Its not exactly hard to do if you control the hardware and the backend (rigmanager, etc).

I certainly do not diminish your work you put in to this, but this has been demanded for over a year.
    A year programming is a very very long time!

And many people stated they want OSX (very common OS for music people).
    And you state it was designed to be cross platform. It strikes me as bad management or planning to not release both then. Or make it cross platform to begin with.

Still nice work, and as you said it was designed to be cross platform. Then we will get the mac version next month at the latest?

Again, i'm happy something finally is out. But i can not shake the feeling that the software department of Kemper is understaffed and lacking a bit of skills (mainly in programming for mac osx).
    And this does not bode well for the future :(

Obviously this is not your fault and you did the best you could with the time and tools you where provided.
    So back to your cubicle and start cracking the mac code :)

ps: I forgot to say that the kemper is the greatest tool ever and that we should be very gratefull that kemper even makes this and therefor we should not complain in the slightest!!!! and be patient. :) :) :)

• RigManager is designed to be cross platform. It was designed with Windows and MacOS in mind. The Windows version will be out first, Mac users can run it in bootcamp or parallels among others. We know, this is not idea but since _one_ side had to be finished first, we believe this is the better approach.
    For those who believe that they can program something like RigManager over a rainy weekend, you might want to check it out before making assumptions ...
    best, gs

It seems so awesome! I can't wait to try it out!
    Great work people!

• I'm using a mac and it's not an option to buy windows in order to use a software that'll be made available for mac in the next coming months. But I dont want to complain as you guys proved once again that you do take care of the wishes from the KPA users. The description of the rig manager sounds nothing less than awesome.

I've just got a question regarding the press release for 2.3, why are you highlighting the space feature along with reamping and the pedal vinyl stop? there's nothing new about it, right?!
    But the parallel chain along with the octaver and the nsa beat scanner (badass name ;) ) sound veerrrrryyyy promising.

So thanks a whole lot for putting so much effort in your work and spoiling us with all those new features!

• ... but since _one_ side had to be finished first, we believe this is the better approach. ...

Hm, as much as I would like to agree, I simply can't. As much as I'm looking forward to the RigManager and as much as I appreciate your efforts, I know (from my own experience) that I could have come up with both at the same time easily. Maybe it's a matter of tool choice. But when I build software, I can have both platforms ready to run even from the very first pre-alpha version. Yes, there are a few things to consider when doing multi-platform development, but if you're used to these differences it's not a problem at all. Maybe the rainy weekend was a bit exagerated, but like dvp already said, 1 month isn't a problem at all if an experienced software developer has all the technical specs needed.

Anyway, go ahead and make it happen. If it helps you to believe that it couldn't have been done much faster ... fine. :)