Interface Suggestions

• Hey Guys,

New to the kemper scene since mine arrived two days ago and haven't had too much time to use it so far, i'm thinking i now need to buy an interface for recording/reamping etc.

I don't know very much about interfaces since all i owned before was a Pod HD which i monitored and recorded through REAPER.

I play through headphones the majority of the time and i would like to be able to play music through the headphones like i did with my POD before, then jam along to it.

Hoping you guys can recommend some not too expensive interfaces for a newbie bearing in mind what i'll use it for as i said above (or anything else that i may need, all i have is the kemper at the moment and not much other gear) :thumbup:

• Is that how much interfaces are? Pretty expensive! :rolleyes:

Also if anyone could tell me what the process is to get the sound from my pc (music etc.) routed through the kemper and headphones that would be great :)

• Is that how much interfaces are? Pretty expensive! :rolleyes:

Also if anyone could tell me what the process is to get the sound from my pc (music etc.) routed through the kemper and headphones that would be great :)

Welcome!
    Look up the Manuals and the WiKPA about reamping.
    As for interfaces I see lots of recommendations of Focusrite stuff here (and I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 myself).

• Roland Quad Capture here, it's in the same price range as Komplete, sounds great.

You can get interfaces for cheaper, but you're going to be losing a lot of features along the way. If you really just need to get music from your PC into your headphones, you could use the Kemper's Alternative Input - stereo 1/8" cable from your computer's speaker/headphone jack, and then a 1/8" -> 1/4" adapter on the end you plug into the Alternative Input jack.

• Also, there are really inexpensive SP/DIF cards, which would just give you the basic digital connection.
    Chances are you PC already comes equipped with one of those, mine does and is about 10 YO now. If not, check your motherboard's sheet: there might be a digital chip on board which just needs a proper (and cheap) I/O socket

:)

• I hope it works for you. I have the Komplete 6 and it did not get along at all with my laptop. Thats not to say it wasn't the laptops fault, the combo of the two just didn't work well. When I need to record something I plug it in but it certainly isn't a leave on all the time type of thing for me.

Since that didn't work well for playing along to music, I bought one of these:

[Blocked Image: https://images.samash.com/sa/S…ll=780,500&qlt=90&cvt=jpg]

Pic doesn't show up, here is the linky:

Samson S-mix

I have my laptop and kemper hooked into it to play along with music. You have to buy an adapter to hook your headphones up to the left and right outputs as the 1/4" out is mono. Hopefully your interface will work perfectly and you won't need to go this route though.

• I had a Focusrite 18i20 rackmount. It was a decent unit but I had some issues with it with regards to monitor levels, the internal power supply, all of which weren't corrected with the firmware and thus, I returned it. I found the convertors on it to be average for that price range.

I then got an Apogee Quartet which appeared to be a nice interface and sounded great. After 20 days it developed an inherent noise. I used another interface to make sure it was nothing in my signal chain. This is the second time I've had issues with Apogee products (my Duet 2 went microphonic a couple of years back) and I decided to return it as well. I didn't want to deal with their products anymore.

I finally settled on a Universal Audio Apollo Duo. This one is an absolute keeper. I've had it for a couple of months (got it right at the Namm release) and thus far, working perfectly and sounds amazing.

I would suggest finding a product for yourself that has the SPDIF in/out for reamping.