Atomic amps CLR's

• Is that you Ralph? Dave here.

I've had a Kemper for a few months. Running it through an EH 22 Caliber and Bogner 4x12. Still have my Mark IV/Recto 4x12 as well but I've been itching to try FRFR. I've heard nothing but raves about the Atomic CLR. Did you get yours new? Seems like I'm more likely to find Flight 370 than one of these cabs.

Dave

Dave! Yes, It's me lol!! How are you? I got the CLR new and I'm going to see if I can land another one real soon :) hope all is well!! BTW, I thought that you were selling your MKIV or am I wrong?

• I don't go for specs, I trust my ears ;)

Nothing wrong with that, of course. As I said, it also depends on the planned use, and on personal preferences. But, specs are specs nevertheless. The way the two models behave when you move off-axis is different, as well as the phase coherence between the two loudspeakers in each. Also, amplitude response is quite different.
    Of course, some applications may not "expose" some characteristics like the ones I've just quoted as an example, or they can not be considered critical by some users.
    It stands by reason that a relatively limited application (sonically speaking) such as playing guitar can well sit within both models' tolerances for most users.

FWIW, and IIRC, Ingolf seems to prefer the CLRs nevertheless.

Personally, I've realized that in the time I found myself unable to understand how good a high-end audio device sounds at times, until I exposed myself to its sound for a good amount of time and then "went back" to my previous standard.

When I have reasons to believe that a product is sonically superior to another, I try and spend a good amount of time with it, and when possible I make it my to-go device until it becomes my new standard. Then look back, and usually find something interesting.

I don't expect most people to share this interest or this approach to audio of course :D

• Dave! Yes, It's me lol!! How are you? I got the CLR new and I'm going to see if I can land another one real soon :) hope all is well!! BTW, I thought that you were selling your MKIV or am I wrong?

I did try to sell it and the cab as well but I ended up hanging on to it. I couldn't let it go. I also love my Bogner 4x12 but I would have to sell something to pull off the Atomic. Take care man!

Dave

• I have had an Atomic 112-50 for years. Used it with my Line6 X3. Souds awesome with my Kemper! Just got a second hand 212-50. sounds awsome as well, but has a bigger bassier sound.
    Highly recommended!

• I almost made a terrible mistake of selling my Atomic CLR NEO and KPA. The Atomic is now indispensable for any gig as a main or monitor for acoustic duo / trio and my KPA rig. I won't use modeling at this point without the CLR, it makes that much of a difference. I landed on a Fryette Sig X patch and undid the posters tweaks (obviously he was tweaking KPA to make up for monitoring setup). It's unbelievably good...

• Ingolf seems to prefer the CLRs nevertheless.

Well, he bought two CLRs, why shouldn't he sell them? For sure the CLRs are very good and the Q12a is not better. We both were surprised about the similarity of CLR and Q12a, that's all and we'll keep our systems.

I also use my Boogie Thiele-cab with a very old EV-speaker, no FRFR, but it sounds terrific, too. And both together (KPA Powerhead Speaker Out --> Boogie-cab / Monitor Out --> Q12a) sounds really "BIG". ;)

Still my favourite setup anyway (and not that loud...): KPA main out --> 2 Klein & Hummel O110 / ADAM Sub8.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de