Best way to controll low end

• Hey Guys,

Have the kemper and a Matrix amp going through a 2 x 12 Guitar Speaker Cab.

At loud volumes with a drummer, there is a lot of bottom end coming from my cab.
    Especially on a lead solo, hitting the low E wow, scary bottom end there.
    What would the best way to eliminate or reduce it or control this.

I thought EQ , but not sure which Frequencies would be needed to be turned down.

Thought there might be a way somewhere else.

Any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

Gezza.

• The cab placement and the room's characteristics are the most critical factors for low end response. Raise the cab from the ground, don't use wooden boxes/tables/stages as a base, keep it far from walls and specially corners.

Last, but not least, try the same outside the room, in an open space: things should change dramatically. If this is true, it was the room's resonance modes.
    The higher the volume, the stronger resonances take place.

• In most cases you want to tame only the lowest frequencies below 80 to 100 Hz while not loosing the low end power when doing palm mutes.

One way to this is to use the studio eq in the x slot. Set the low frequency as low as possible and cut this frequency with the maximum value. Then slowly increase the frequency until you begin to hear a difference. This should be the right point.

• Why so scientific?
    Just turn down the Bass control of the Monitor EQ in the Output menu.
    Tell us if it worked!

It has been discussed many times. But i still think that the output sections need a precise and adjustable high pass filter. The bass control affects too much of the frequency range above 100 Hz.

• Why so scientific?
    Just turn down the Bass control of the Monitor EQ in the Output menu.
    Tell us if it worked!

Why not?

The science helps to understand the problem ---- the kemper helps to solve it ;)

If he don't understand the reason for boominess and low end IN a room he would be suprised how the same rig and box
    sounds outdoor ....

• As some alluded to, it could be a problem with a room resonance. This can be easily tested: show up for practice 15 minutes before everybody else, play the low E string continuously while moving around the room. Check to see if it sounds better in other locations.

If it is a room resonance issue - Boomy notes can (sometimes) be alleviated with EQ - but that will work to detriment of the sound when you play in a different spot, not to speak of a completely different room/venue.

If the problem is mainly the E note ONLY, use an EQ in the post amp section, set to a high Q value. Set it first to boost by a good amount, move the frequency around until you find the problem frequency. Then turn the boost into a cut of appropriate size. For the root E note on the guitar, that would be 83 hertz, but the problem may be somewhere else.

• It has been discussed many times. But i still think that the output sections need a precise and adjustable high pass filter. The bass control affects too much of the frequency range above 100 Hz.

The Bass shelving filter in the output section is made to catch and control the base resonance of the speaker. It onsets steeply at 150 Hz.

Why would you want to apply a global high pass filter on all rigs to cut (!) low frequencies without having control about the attenuation?

• The Bass shelving filter in the output section is made to catch and control the base resonance of the speaker. It onsets steeply at 150 Hz.

Why would you want to apply a global high pass filter on all rigs to cut (!) low frequencies without having control about the attenuation?

Well, the more control, the better. It´s just that 150 Hz is cool with most standard tunings, but not so useful with baritone guitars. It kills just a little too much of the "thump" between 80Hz and 130 Hz that you want to keep while removing the "rumble" under 80Hz.

• Hello All,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have a Marshall JVM410H that I used to used now running at 50watts.
    I didn't have any issues and it did seem louder.

So now I have the Kemper and have to match the volume of my old system.

I also still believe the Kemper and the amp that I have the Matrix which says 20hz to 20Khz is the problem.

I just don't get that PA sound from my Marshall.
    There are times when I hear almost FR sounds coming from my 2 x12 Cab, yes my cab sim is off.

I am going to try are use a passive crossover and send the lowend frequencies to a different cab.
    This should tell me how much bass is really coming out of my system.

Cheers for now,

Gezza.

• Hello,

Turning down the bass on the will affect all Rigs.
    I don't hear this problem, on clean settings.
    It is mainly happening on a lead solos using high gain with a pure boost, which is the loudest volume I use.
    Could the pure boost be causing this?
    I have the Pure Boost on about +4.
    The low E almost sounds like I have a sub-woofer, instead of a Guitar Cab.
    I can also feel the air being pushed on heavy stuff.

So I am going to try and filter out all low frequencies.

Thanks,

Gezza.

• You keep mentioning the low E stuff.

Do you have the same problem with the low F, F# and G notes?????

• Again I have to say: too much sience.
    Just turn down the bass control :)

That's exactly what I did when I had to much bass on my Guitar Cab. :) I like to keep it that simple if it works. And that it does!
    I really like the separate output EQs.

• Well, the more control, the better. It´s just that 150 Hz is cool with most standard tunings, but not so useful with baritone guitars. It kills just a little too much of the "thump" between 80Hz and 130 Hz that you want to keep while removing the "rumble" under 80Hz.

I second that. I have a baritone guitar too, sometimes tuned down to Drop G# ;(

• Yes.
    If it is only with your solo sound, establish an eq in the X or MOD slot and turn down the bass just for your solo rig.