Recommend Profile for mid gain/crunch through CLR

• As the title suggests I am looking for any advice as to which profile folks feel sounds great without too much tweaking into a CLR played at moderate to loud volume. I have been having trouble with the fletcher munson thing and keep killing my bandmates as they wait for me to adjust eq's. I always end up with a muddy loose bass and shrill highs. The rest of my playing gets lost in the mix. I know this setup is capable of the tones I'm looking for....help. Free profile suggestions would be great but I don't mind paying. Im looking for mid gain/crunch tones with tight punchy bass. I play a PRS with Dragon II humbuckers. It seems like a fairly hot signal pickup.

If you like the tones you suggest what are any EQ additions you make and what do you do?

• I don't know if this will help but the best advice I've had regarding the sound of profiles came from Andy from the Amp Factory saying to use the definition, clarity parameters and pre post eqs and ofc the main eqs on the front:) I find I can get a really good sound with lots of profiles just adding some definition and clarity and using the front eqs. A lot of profiles sound very muddy/nasal on my DXR10 and PRS until I do this. Some you can't go wrong with though eg the Morgan AC20 people talk about, I sometimes just increse the gain by a couple on this for a more pushed sound, it's great. Also have a look through rig manager and simply preview lots, plenty of good tones out there. Just type in something, eg AC30 and try some of the highest rated profiles. Don't spend too long trying to dial in one that just sounds bad to start with as I find there are so many that if 2 or 3 sounds bad another 2 or 3 will sound good and need much less tweaking for my gear. Then when I am happy I just store it. I only have about 140 profiles actually on my KPA at the moment and all are very useable. Many are from The Amp Factory, I find all of those great with, as I said, a bit more clarity, definition and slight eq-ing.

I also have to tweak the EQs at band volumes though, as I have to preview sounds at home when the kids sleep:) But I don't find it too hard to just spend 5-10mins before we start to change them a little.

Hope this is helpful in someway to you but not having a CLR or your exact guitar, cables, pick etc I can't give much more advice. You WILL be able to find some great tones though.

• I will try the Morgan and see where that gets me. I will also try more eq's. I just get pretty frustrated quickly cause my ears just don't pick out what needs to change in the frequency bandwidth. They only know what they don't like. I also feel bad trying to dial in my tone at rehearsal. Band mates are definitely not very excited about my recent switch from tube amps. I think it will be worth it in the long run but I'm struggling at the moment.

Anymore suggestions besides the Morgan as a plug and play option?

• All I can say is I would look on the RE at amps you like the sound of as there are plenty of decent profiles. Then just preview the 5 star ones and save ones you like. Maybe spend a little time looking at the free and commercial rig section, there tends to be a few that are raved about and start there?

Unfortunately I am not sure there are any plug and play ones as your gear will differ from the next persons, but there are loads that are close.

If it sounds too shrill try pulling back on the definition a bit and ofc the presence and treble on the front eq. It says in the manual ( I think ) that too high a setting on the definition can sound to piercing at high volume.

Maybe some one else can comment on flubby bass? My guess would be you may have too much of it going on, could try pulling back on it a little and maybe gain too?

• Thanks Netheravon- I always welcome EQ advice. I do tend to push the amp definition up as it seems to tighten up the bass at tweaking headphone levels. Probably messing me up at volume I guess.

I think it's easier to tame the highs as volume but that flubby loose bass is tough for me to dial out.

FWIW- I love the attitude and helpfulness of this forum. It's a very positive place to come and ask seemingly simple questions. Thanks Folks!!

• I add clarity to almost any patch I use with gain or my sound can get lost in the mix of even my 3 piece band. Also try the Masotti profiles with Dragoon cabs in the rig exchange. For some reason I fell in love with them, great profiles for my FRFR setup. My EC ZLX has a subwoofer that I turn off completely and I also drop the main presence a bit.

• Tried the Morgan and it was a marked improvement from the profiles I have been using!!! Thanks for the heads up on that one. I see that it really is important to start with a solid profile. I will probably start kicking in some money for the TAF profiles so I know I'm starting with a reliable rig.

Thanks folks!!!

• As the CLR can be considered neutral i don't use output EQ.
    Tweak at band levels and start with only a few profiles using the parameters mentioned above (rig EQ, definition, clarity, plus pre or post eq if needed).

This is sage advice. You have to tweak at band levels or you are wasting your time. I played a whole gig last night using just the TAF 1987x. Very minor tone stack changes only, no EQs post or pre. 4 patches at varying gain levels & a few effects. I do the same thing with a few other Marshall profiles & see which one I like for the room & I'm done. The new Plexi I thought I'd like better didn't get used as it was too bright at gig levels. I'll fix it later. You can spend hours on tweaking this box if you want to- I view that as both the biggest strength & biggest weakness of this box.

• Before spending money check out the Vintage profiles by Oraakkeli 'Old and Forgotten amp profiles'. They are vintage sounding as that's what they are, but they are wonderful and on my gear I dont have to do much tweaking at all. Great free profiles. I also really think DB profiles on the RE (type DB in the search box) - the Dr Z but also the EVH are very nice indeed.

• Before spending money check out the Vintage profiles by Oraakkeli 'Old and Forgotten amp profiles'. They are vintage sounding as that's what they are, but they are wonderful and on my gear I dont have to do much tweaking at all. Great free profiles. I also really think DB profiles on the RE (type DB in the search box) - the Dr Z but also the EVH are very nice indeed.

Good advice. Try some more free ones before spending money.

I recently gave DB's DrZ Rt66 profiles a try, and they are killer (both the i5 and the e609 versions). I am currently using some of these for a studio gig I have at the moment.

There was a pack released a while back by Kemper - Vintage Sound Project IIRC. Many great low gain profiles in that pack.

R.U.Sirius recently uploaded a couple TubeThomsen 5161 profiles which also sound great - a little gainier, but awesome sounding. Also using these for studio work.

Denicio's most recent version of his Suhr SD100 profiles are also great. Nice, grainy gain with great mids. Will definitely use these on some recordings.

My two cents ;)

• Tweaking advice: at home I use an inexpensive iPhone decibel meter to check the volume as I tweak my rigs. Around 98db for short periods. That about as loud as I can tolerate it. I also play along with a basic drum/bass track loop. Drums help me keep the highs in perspective and the bass makes me clean up my low end.

Check out LERNOULD Thierry's great Bassman and Supersonic profiles. They're free on the rig exchange!

• Hello hood creeper,

I mainly use only crunch sounds and has long been in search of something suitable. Very similar to the Morgan are the Fender Twin profiles of the AmpFactory. The advantage of these profiles in relation to the Morgan is that you get these sounds in different degrees of distortion and can therefore far better to work with.

Play it like you mean it.

• I've been really liking the Californication profile of late. You might also like to try out Gundy Keller's Gilmourish Profile, as well as TAF's Go Jimi Go profile. These are all in the stock Kemper.

One great trick that I recommend to tame crunch profiles that might seem too gain-y is to just back off the volume on my guitar control. Heck, I do that on high gain profiles and it cleans up beautifully. Should be your go to tweak when on stage or facing p*ssed off bandmates.

• Great advice. Lovin' the profile suggestions!! Someone recommended the Trainwreck on TAF. That has been a great sounding tone for me. Can't wait to hear how it sits in the mix with the band.

One problem I've been having is while boosting mids to cut into band mix I then create a "thin" sound. It's tough with the other guitarist on a DR Z amp while he cuts through with a full punchy sound. How to cut through mix without loosing body in the tone?????