My appreciation for Kemper is increased as learn Axe Fx 2.

• IRs do indeed make up a lot of the character of the tone of a guitar amp because of the cab, but note that if you are only looking at reproducing the sound of the cab and NOT the room, IRs only need to be about 20ms in length. Anything more than that and you are also getting early reflections and characteristics of the room. However, the latter is sometimes what makes FRFR sound like an "amp in the room" which is what we are used to hearing.

The Fractal Ultra res IRs are essentially longer tail IRs which capture this room effect. But make no mistake, it does not mean it is a more accurate IR when it comes to the cab. As has been detailed in the Fractal forum, processing IRs involves convolution, and longer IRs need more power. In Ultra res, they low pass filter after 2.5kHz and decimate (downsample) so that processing is much easier for the CPU. See here for more details: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1389699

My opinion is this is a lot of work and overkill to really just produce early reflections and reverb. It has nothing to do with what the cab contributes, which is the first 20ms. Convolution reverb has been out for a while, and though it seemed like the holy grail in providing a large number of real spaces to use, I think most recording/mix sessions have continued to use algorithmic reverbs (Lexicon, TC, etc.) and they sound just fine.

• LasVideo

One thing you can try, is to hook the Kemper up with the axe for even more fun, you can use just the AxeFX for effects (Drives, verb etc) and use the kemper as the "amp" - OR you can dig in deeper and have the 2 running in parallel for a duel amp setup almost.

Whatever you decide, its your choice. they both have there purposes in the current marketplace. - Both have there set of Pros' & cons...

Enjoy!

• Good thoughts Andy. Thank you.

The way I look at it.... I own a Soloist, a Strat and a Les Paul because they each bring something different to the musical table. Primarily I use them for recording in my home studio.

And this attitude also applies to the Kemper and the Axe FX. They are 2 "instruments" that also bring their own uniqueness to my music.

I see no need to hook them up so they work in unison. I just use them as seems appropriate by the tune I am working on :)

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• Both the AxeFX and the KPA are awesome digital amps. If I could afford it I would probably own both, but I had to choose one and the previous firmwares didn’t sound as real as the KPA to me. I’d like to try the last one as I heard very good demos.

There is another important factor to be taken into account in the desicion if you live in Europe, the AxeFX II XL costs 2.600€ and the KPA 1.550 €.

I'm looking forward to the launch of the pedalboard that they recently announced.

Edited once, last by pacocito ().

• Always nice to have a level head around, Nightlight. :thumbup:

PS - Im really enjoying the ability to block out rabid fan boys and sad obnoxious folks who hide behind the anonymity the internet affords them. Suddenly...they do not exist :)

You are exactly right! I've heard and seen those guys many times (not necessarily the same ones) who are never prepared to put a REAL name to their often ridiculous comments - I put it down to the fact that they have little spine and can't afford to be sued.

Welcome to the world of the internet... just ignore them... they don't go away, but it infuriates them no end.... :)

I won't bother re the products you use... that's your business ;)

Enjoy... or not... now stop twiddling those knobs LOL.

T

Careful I'm watching you...

• :thumbup: