Reamping Latency and Phase

• Hello,

I would like to know from people who reamp with the Kemper are Handling the Latency due to the Process.

Normally I just put 4 Clicks in Front of the Track I want to reamp and after that I try to adjust the reamped Track to the Waveform of the Click

I reamped mainly Bass by now and it seems that sometimes the Phase from the reamped track doesn't match with the One from the DI I recorded.Is this this Profile related or does the Kemper automatically align the Phase?

Heavy Greetz

• This seems to be more an issue with your soundcard than the Kemper, since it is doing all the heavy lifting during the reamping process. There is a delay from the output to the Kemper, then a further delay from the Kemper to the input in the reamping process. This is not a problem with most modern machines, but it can crop up from time to time. If you are experiencing a lot of latency, use the latency compensation setting within your DAW. Also try freezing tracks in your DAW to free up system resources while reamping.

• Agreed.
    Are you reamping through SPIDF or analogically? The latter would introduce more latence.

I am reamping analog. My Interface doesn't have SPDIF and I also record with 48Khz.

The Latency seems to be about 50 Samples. It seems that it's always the same. Delay Compensation is activated in my Pro Tools. So I think the latency is coming from the time needed to send the Signal Out to the Kemper and Back into the Audiointerface.
    I wonder if nobody else has such kind of latency when Reamping. When I reamped some stuff with a real Amp I also had such Issues. That were a few more samples maybe around 100. May have something to do with different cable Length.

Heavy Greetz

• Things are certainly made (a bit) worse by the various conversions taking place.
    How's your soundcard's latency?

My Buffer Settings from my Saffire 6 USB is 256 Samples that should be about 5ms. I could go a little lower but 5ms works fine and is not to much when recording DI from Guitars while monitorin with Guitar Rig. That was my procedure so far.

Heavy Greetz

• If you reamp analog you have (if I'm counting well) 6 A\D conversions, which sum to your 5 ms (which are present twice in the sextet). It's a good amount of delay if you ask me :)
    So your card adds 10 ms. If its latency was 1-2 ms it would add 2-4 ms only, apart from what the Profiler does by itself.

:)

• <p>

If you reamp analog you have (if I'm counting well) 6 A\D conversions, which sum to your 5 ms (which are present twice in the sextet). It's a good amount of delay if you ask me :)<br />
    So your card adds 10 ms. If its latency was 1-2 ms it would add 2-4 ms only, apart from what the Profiler does by itself.</p>

<p>:)

</p>

<p>I am not sure about the AD Conversions. Are there really 6 Conversions? I don't know exactly when each Gear is Converting. I would guess it would be 4.</p>

<p>Just reamped an old Bass DI Track and I measure the Latency. I recorded a Click right on the DI Track in the DAW which started exactly on the Beat and the reamped Track was about 167 Samples late in regard of the Click. That should be almost 4 ms. I think 192 Samples are &nbsp;exactly 4ms. When I reamp another track I will have a closer look if it's always the same amount or if this varies.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>Heavy Greetz<br />
    &nbsp;</p>

• I might have made some bad Maths... let's see:
    Guitar -> Profiler's D converter -> Profiler's A converter-> soundcard's D converter -> DAW -> soundcard's A converter - > Profiler's D converter -> Profiler's A converter - > monitors.
    In the worst scenario, add
    -> soundcard's D converter -> DAW -> soundcard's A converter - > monitors
    (depending on where the monitoring point is taken)

My point is not how good or bad the performance is, but what can determine a phase shift between a DI and a reamped track :)

• In order for your DAW to compensate for latency with an external FX, you have to use External Effect as an insert. ProTools has this feature, as does Cubase, and I'm sure most other DAWs. Some DAWs need a preset delay entered. Some (I know Cubase does) can ping the loop and set it automatically.

So you could take your direct track, add a delay compensated external insert w/ the Kemper, audition and adjust to taste, then do a real time bounce of that track, and it should be recorded in sample accurate sync.

• That's a lot of conversions. Seems I never really took a look into that.

I also never thought about using the Outboard Gear as an insert. Maybe I have to get into that and find out how this works exactly in my ProTools 10.

Heavy Greetz

• Yeah, it's one of the reasons why a digital connection is wanted :)
    OTOH, the Profiler sounds (any)way better (I mean in "purity") than any real mic'ed amp and several stages of amplification... so, latency apart, and if you can tame it, my opinion is that analog recording is a great option anyway :)

• Yeah, it's one of the reasons why a digital connection is wanted :)
    OTOH, the Profiler sounds (any)way better (I mean in "purity") than any real mic'ed amp and several stages of amplification... so, latency apart, and if you can tame it, my opinion is that analog recording is a great option anyway :)

I thought about getting a new Interface to use my Kemper with S/PDIF but I kinda dislike that it can't output 48Khz and also no 24Bit, or can it?

I really would like to do my first own Profile but for that I have to figure out how I can integrate my Kemper to my Setup I share with my Cousin. Therefore I need a few new Cables to set the stuff up so it is easy to make a good Profile.

Heavy Greetz

• I thought about getting a new Interface to use my Kemper with S/PDIF but I kinda dislike that it can't output 48Khz and also no 24Bit, or can it?

No, you can't. As I said, if you find a way to get a decent latency, just use the analog way: it sound great :)

• No, you can't. As I said, if you find a way to get a decent latency, just use the analog way: it sound great :)

I did some more Bass reamps and my Latency is always a bit different. The last one was about 86 Samples. And it seems that I always have to flip the phase on my reamped Track so it matches the Phase of of the Click I always send first to better align the Latency later on.

And I also noticed that I get a very nasty Feedback when the Kemper is clipping on the Output. This happens a lot when I browse thru some Rigs in the Rig Manager while playing the DI Track I want to reamp. As soon as the Output lamp get's a little red or vellow I instantly get a feedback.

Maybe I find the time to test the Kemper with my other Setup.

Heavy Greetz

• The Rigs are directly out of the Rig Manager. I just find one that I like and I turn the knobs like Treble, Presence and Bass 'till I like it some more. I thought that I read somewhere that the Kemper automatically lowers the Outputvolume so it doesn't clip.
    What do you mean by fixed latency. I only found something in the Wikpa mentioning constant latency about 3ms. But it seems that the Latency is depending on the Profile I use either. So I guess this is the reason why I have to correct the reamped track always another amount of samples.When I calculated it right my 86 Samples should be about 2ms.

I gues I stay with my old habit and always record a clip before the Track I reamp and align the reamped one to the Original. And of course I should use my Ears if it sounds right.

Heavy Greetz

• oh yeah, man, you need to look into the constant latency.

http://www.wikpa.org/Latency

basically each rig uses the minimum latency necessary for the effects in the rig. checking the constant latency option sets the latency to the same amount per rig.

so if you reamp the same DI through 2 different rigs, they will have the same latency and thus should avoid phase issues.

• I thought that I read somewhere that the Kemper automatically lowers the Outputvolume so it doesn't clip.

No, this is not correct.
    You saw by yourself the Output clipping...

I really think you should read the manuals in order to get the best from your Profiler!

:)