Soon to purchase a Kemper Profiling Amp! :D

• Hi all. This is my first post here as I'm new to the KPA forum - I don't actually own a Kemper yet but have known about them for a long while now... I'll soon be purchasing one and am just wondering which to get out of the rack versions (don't want a lunchbox!!!) ... also, is it worth getting the foot controller at the same time? (This isn't available separately from Thomann currently unfortunately - so it would be a hefty outlay cost!)

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Hi and welcome :) if you will be using the Kemper with a guitar cab then I'd go for the powered rack but if you are planning on using it with a FRFR speaker like the Yamaha DXR10 then the unpowered one would be the best bet. As for the controller IMO id buy one of them too. It will intergrate with the profiler perfectly and will be future FW proof. There are less expensive controllers available but I think the remote will be well built and offer the same amount of reliabilty and greatness as the Kemper itself. There is a thread on here about weather or not to buy the remote and users have chimed in with what they think. Anyway you will not regret the purchase of the kemper I havent 1 bit :)

• Awesome thanks for your 2cents dude! I am leaning towards the powered rack version as it happens... (Due to the benefits of having in-the-box power, monetarily AND space saving from not having to purchase a 3rd party power amp) would definitely be looking to use it with guitar cabinetS (though I see it only incorporates a SINGLE speaker out...?!)

HOWEVER, there will be times I would wish to use it with my Mackie HR624mkii reference monitors - would this not be possible/advisable with the powered rack version?!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Awesome thanks for your 2cents dude! I am leaning towards the powered rack version as it happens... (Due to the benefits of having in-the-box power, monetarily AND space saving from not having to purchase a 3rd party power amp) would definitely be looking to use it with guitar cabinetS (though I see it only incorporates a SINGLE speaker out...?!)

HOWEVER, there will be times I would wish to use it with my Mackie HR624mkii reference monitors - would this not be possible/advisable with the powered rack version?!

Yep you can turn the power amp off

• What about the single 'speaker output' though? - is that not a bit of a drawback if you want to run 2 cabinets or a stereo rig?! Cheers

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• You will save some money buying a separate power amp of your choise.
    Plenty to choose from but go for a neutral sounding amp that doesn't color the tone.
    Do a forum search and you will see several options.
    The Stealth power amp is popular, low weight and features stereo if that is important.
    Also two companies offer mountable power amps for the kemper head.

• Welcome to the forums. You can't go wrong with a Power Rack and I would advise you to buy the OEM one from Kemper if you need this feature, because a retrofit is possible with the toaster, but not with the rack at the moment (though there was recently a video uploaded where a user added a power amp to their rack).

You can always just run from the main outputs to a pair of monitors without even turning on the power amp if you want, since you were wondering.

And finally, if you can splash the cash on a Remote footcontroller as well, I'd say go for it. It'll be invaluable in a performance situation with your Kemper.

• Thanks! Sorry, but what is the OEM one??

I may consider purchasing a pn AxeFX in future as well though (and would require a separate power amp for that - unless you can hijack the power section of Kempers?!) so don't know whether to save the money on this aspect of the non-powered Kemper...

The remote is pretty pricey and annoyingly you don't have the option to buy it solo from Thomann - so would need to buy it with the Kemper at the time or not at all !!

Welcome to the forums. You can't go wrong with a Power Rack and I would advise you to buy the OEM one from Kemper if you need this feature, because a retrofit is possible with the toaster, but not with the rack at the moment (though there was recently a video uploaded where a user added a power amp to their rack).

You can always just run from the main outputs to a pair of monitors without even turning on the power amp if you want, since you were wondering.

And finally, if you can splash the cash on a Remote footcontroller as well, I'd say go for it. It'll be invaluable in a performance situation with your Kemper.

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• if you plan to use an Axe-Fx as well, the best choice IMO would certainly be a stereo rack poweramp (Matrix build some excellent ones).
    The saving aspect nightlight was pointing out is related to the high price you'd pay for a Kemper poweramp Vs. other amps.

• Thanks! Sorry, but what is the OEM one??

I may consider purchasing a pn AxeFX in future as well though (and would require a separate power amp for that - unless you can hijack the power section of Kempers?!) so don't know whether to save the money on this aspect of the non-powered Kemper...

The remote is pretty pricey and annoyingly you don't have the option to buy it solo from Thomann - so would need to buy it with the Kemper at the time or not at all !!

OEM means the powered Kemper.
    As for the Remote, you can buy it directly at the Kemper Store.

• OEM means the powered Kemper.
    As for the Remote, you can buy it directly at the Kemper Store.

Yes, OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Though it isn't technically correct in this case, since I believe a third party manufactures it for Kemper. But in these days of outsourcing, that is pretty much OEM, since it comes direct from the company that produces the device.

• Does anyone have both AxeFX 2 XL and KPA (powered or non...) and if so, how would they compare/rate the 2 and which would they recommend? (though this being the Kemper forum I can guess which ;) haha!)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• There are people on this forum that use both, and have previously used both.

The consensus among non-fanboys appears to be:

The Kemper's strengths are the sound and feel of the amps, the unlimited supply of new amps, and versatile, powerful effects with a straightforward interface.

The Axe's strengths are its more flexible effects routing, and the number of available parameters for fine editing of amps and effects.

• Does anyone have both AxeFX 2 XL and KPA (powered or non...) and if so, how would they compare/rate the 2 and which would they recommend? (though this being the Kemper forum I can guess which ;) haha!)

I've got good and long experience with both kemper and axe 2 and I prefer and use the kemper for amps, cabs and effects, except for a few additional effects from the Axe. Including friends and forum users I think I've seen over a hundred ax fx users sell it and move over to kemper. It's not the other way around. Both are very different in what they are designed to do. Profiling is the first and only way for users to capture their own amp rigs, amp dynamics, gain, compression, eq, speaker cab, mic... Traditional modeling like the Axe fx use is a programmed company version of what they think an amp should be like.

The biggest kemper pros for me are sound and feel, profiling technology and very easy to use. And the sound doesn't change after firmware updates like the Axe fx. Longer warranty and support. Longevity and promised back compatability for profiles for around 15
    years. (Fractal releases new products every 2-3 years dropping support for older gear).

Also I prefer supporting companies with good business ethics like kemper. In that area Fractal Audios CEO has really embarrased himself several times over the years posting misinformation and lies about kemper because he's hoping to gain market leverage. Fractal also frequently censors users posts when they mention specific gear and have deleted a huge number of threads about certain companies like amplifire and kemper in the off topic section.

I very much agree with producer Lasse Lammert here.
    facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=82…76.100000845799643&type=1
    "pros and cons vs a fractal?"
    -"Lasse Lammert: easy answer:
    Fractal sounds like a really good amp modeller that mimics the tone of someone else's idea of how a miked amp should sound.
    Kemper: sounds like your rig/an actual amp (not like a modeller).Both have great FX."

• Exactly what I was thinking (and hoping!) ... I am ALL about tone, and it seems the Kemper has the upper hand with its' 'skill set' shall we say!

Though it he Axe has a 'tone matching' feature - is this no good? Or just can't compare to the KPA I'm guessing as that is the main purpose of the Kemper...

However, are you required to profile your rig at every setting on the Kemper? As it takes just a 'snapshot' - what happens if you want to back the treble off or scoop the mids once you've taken these snapshots (or move the mic position or change cabinets...) as the KPA profiles the entire rig from pickup through to interface!?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack