How to get the looper working with any Midi Device

• WS:

I own the FCB1010 and have programmed buttons 1 to 9 with the CC-messages you have given. What do i have to set in the kemper? Do i have to press the "Looper Activator"-button each time before i press another button?
    Right now my kemper records and plays all kinds of things that i don't understand. The recorded tracks get quieter and quieter each time they loop... is that normal?

Greetings and thanks for the effort you put in this

• Hi Guys/Gals,
    I need some help. I'm running a Roland FC-300. It appears that the highest available # in the Roland is CC# 95. Currently not able to test the looper functionality without being able to program a CC#98 into the FC. Don't want to hack around on the programming for fear of disabling my FC. Any experienced info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark H

• Thanks for the guide.

But I had no luck - I've succesfully programmed starting CCs, then Rec, Play, and.... for some reason (heavens!!!) Stop command is not working... :)

I've double checked it, values are correct. Device is FCB1010 standard.

Anyone can help..? :(

Thanks!

• Goodness me. I thought this should be easy with device that sends 4 CC messages at once, but I didn't expect there are problems just around the next corner.

So now I'm using G-Lab GSC3, which is a fine and sturdy looper / MIDI switcher, capable of sending 7 CCs at a time (unfortunately globally, not per preset :-/ ) but the main problem is, that I'm not seeing, what command did I just send :(

Rec / play/ overdub is happening randomly, stop sometimes work, sometimes not... Arrgh!

I really do not want to use the looper to fly to Mars, I only need it for practising, so rec / play plus stop is all I would use.

Now, with the looper memory clean, when I press what is supposed to send rec - it is working. When I press it again - it plays. When I pres stop - it works. But when I want to start it over again - I don't know, what is happening. Sometimes - it does overdub, sometimes it seems to do nothing, then, if after few presses some sound appears, stop is not interrupting it, only several stomps on rec /play... A real pain in the.. neck, as you can imagine.

I saw there is a small icon flashing when command from looper is received.. Why it doesn't show at least a letter, indicating what was pressed, like R, P, O, S... ??? :)

I understand, that Remote is what should be used to do all of this, and I would buy it eventually - but the main goal is to have one MIDI switcher / looper in a small pedalboard, which I could use with the Kemper as well as with my other amps, like 5150 III (GSC3 does switching channels there with addition of boost / volume unit seamlessly and without any clicks, pops or artifacts!)... So I don't want to get rid of it, would be great if I could use it with all my amps.

If anyone can share some tips and tricks, how to live with looper that's not showing it's status - I'd be grateful. I suppose FCB users have the same problem?

Thanks!

• I experience strange behaviour with the looper as well if I engage the reverse function. Sometimes it will remain engaged even though I have turned off reverse. But I'm able to get record, play and stop to work consistently.

I guess the unexpected behaviour is the price we have to pay for using non-supported devices for the looper functions.

• Hi Guys/Gals,
    I need some help. I'm running a Roland FC-300. It appears that the highest available # in the Roland is CC# 95. Currently not able to test the looper functionality without being able to program a CC#98 into the FC. Don't want to hack around on the programming for fear of disabling my FC. Any experienced info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark H

I tried to use the looper with the FC-300 and I came to the conclusion that it's not possible.

• And i have the Yamaha MFC10 which can send 4 CC commands at 1 click. I have programmed like in
    the start of this thread:
    Rec/Play/Overdub: CC#99 V125, CC#98 V88, CC#06 V0, CC#38 V1 (on press), V0 (on release)
    The looper does nothing. First time i programmed CC in the status, but CC means control change (idiot).
    So the right CC-Comand in Hex has to be B0 i think. My question now: the parameters i have to put in the MFC10
    for 1 footswitch and the first of 4 CC's are:
    - Status (here i put B0)
    - Data/Ctrl (here i put 99)
    - MSB/MAX (here i put 125)
    - MSB/MIN (here i put 125) ( i have to put a value here)
    Is that right?
    And for the fourth parameter of footswitch 1
    - Status (here i put B0)
    - Data/Ctrl (here i put 38)
    - MSB/MAX (here i put 1)
    - MSB/MIN (here i put 0)
    And why is on the Kemper remote a footswitch "looper" (on/off i think) and in that midi adaption not?

Edited 3 times, last by hal2000 ().

• OK, next try with only 2 CC's at once. In the picture you can see the Midi-Ox input.
    I think that is OK, or not? (I programmed only 5 Buttons because the rest i don't
    need at that moment.
    Looper starts and records but i can't stop or delete or do something other. After
    a while of looping the volume is getting down stepwise.
    Any idea?

• I've only had a little play about but it appeared to work, what little i experimented with. On my first attempt the looper locked up as it seemed to require a button-press followed by a button-release command, seen here as CC38=1 followed by CC38=0. (the button on only caused issues)
    Notice the order in which the midi data is transmitted. These CC controllers are the NRPN commands and their data values. You could send as NRPN data which would be not as long winded as what i have here.

My workings was based on the info provided by WS earlier on in this thread (thank you WS :)
    Hopefully this helps, apologies if it doesn't and correct me if you spot any mistakes.
    I dont have a need for the looper so consequently not invested my time and effort in pursuing this (neither do i have the KPA foot controller)
    [Blocked Image: http://www.thelookmusic.co.uk/kemper/looper_midi_control.png]

• Thank you so much for your effort Slateboy. I think you are right, because my MFC10 doesn't show any release off
    actions. So i programmed the release off as a third parameter as you can see in the picture (except of button 3, because
    there is already 0). But i can't recognize any changes.
    Is the Midi-Ox Monitor right? Are those the midi-signals the Kemper needs?
    Thank you in advance.

• Thank you so much for your effort Slateboy. I think you are right, because my MFC10 doesn't show any release off
    actions. So i programmed the release off as a third parameter as you can see in the picture (except of button 3, because
    there is already 0). But i can't recognize any changes.
    Is the Midi-Ox Monitor right? Are those the midi-signals the Kemper needs?
    Thank you in advance.

You are missing this:
    CC#06 V0

You have to send four CC messages .
    Rec/Play/Overdub: CC#99 V125, CC#98 V88, CC#06 V0, CC#38 V1 (on press), V0 (on release)

• Thank you Damian.
    You are right. I missed it. But i think with the MFC10 there is a general problem because this thing
    isn't able to send "on release" messages. And there is no paramenter to set "midi running status" on.

• Hi, I´m new here and are using the Kemper PowerRack with FCB1010 Uno4Kemper chip.

Unfortunately couldn´t find any idea about Uno4Kemper chip possibilities to be programmed for working as a looper in addition to already factory pre-programmed functions.
    There is information available about standard chip and Eurekaprom chip looper possibilities but not exactly for Uno4Kemper.

Is it possible to program Uno4Kemper chip to have looper functionality and can the FCB1010 midi editor version 2.99-2 be used as a programming software?
    Regards, Allan

• Unfortunately couldn´t find any idea about Uno4Kemper chip possibilities to be programmed for working as a looper in addition to already factory pre-programmed functions.

The looper function is accessible best with the Remote. There is no support for other things options.

• Pretty straightforward Timo - of course I can understand your position, but I´ve just bought the gear and are going to stick with the current setup for a longer period.

During last year I have gone through several thousands of pages (including midi and nrpn) and a lot of videos as well before I stuck to Kemper in favour of AxeFX.
    There have appared some unpleasant facts after unboxing already - it´s not working as a sound interface when connecting to PC, the power amp is mono and rig manager does´nt allow to modify (copy, paste) easily the effects/settings.

That´s why there is a point for me to have at least the looper functioning properly and my question about Uno4Kemper chip looper programming is still on.

Allan

• Perhaps Ingo knows something special. I think he spend a lot of time with it.
    What about using the "normal" FCB-Editor and try to programm the functions like you want?
    Did you try that or won't the editor work with the uno4kemper-chip?

• Thanks hal2000!
    Looking forward to Ingo´s reply ;) , before to invest into 40.- EUR (already asked from local supplier) midi interface.
    Allan