Pre-purchase Kemper questions

• Hi guys, first post here.

I am going to be purchasing a Kemper in the next couple of months, and I want to make sure that I have everything I need to do what I want to do with it before I buy it.

I have an interface with SPDIF ins and outs, so know I will need a couple of SPDIF cables to reamp with the Kemper. After Googling there seem to be multiple kinds of SPDIF cables that have different heads. Can anyone link me some that work with the Kemper?

Also, probably a silly question, but the majority of what I would want to do with the Kemper is record into Pro Tools. Which of these signal flows would I need to use?

Guitar > Kemper > SPDIF to interface > computer

or

Guitar > interface > computer, with the Kemper connected to the interface as well via SPDIF?

Ideally I would want to record a DI track and an amped track at the same time, so that I don't have to record without being able to hear the amped tone. Would this affect the setup?

And finally, if I want to play with headphones on through the Kemper, I just plug into the Kemper and stick headphones on. But what if I want to play along to a song? Would I hook up the Kemper via SPDIF and plug the guitar and headphones into the interface instead of the Kemper?

Any help appreciated!

• Hi guys, first post here.

I am going to be purchasing a Kemper in the next couple of months, and I want to make sure that I have everything I need to do what I want to do with it before I buy it.

I have an interface with SPDIF ins and outs, so know I will need a couple of SPDIF cables to reamp with the Kemper. After Googling there seem to be multiple kinds of SPDIF cables that have different heads. Can anyone link me some that work with the Kemper?

Sorry, no link; but it should be a 75 Ohm Coax cable with the "phono" plugs. They should look something like this: http://files.sandberg.it/products/images/lg/504-24_lg.jpg

Also, probably a silly question, but the majority of what I would want to do with the Kemper is record into Pro Tools. Which of these signal flows would I need to use?

Guitar > Kemper > SPDIF to interface > computer
    This one.

or

Guitar > interface > computer, with the Kemper connected to the interface as well via SPDIF?
    No!

Ideally I would want to record a DI track and an amped track at the same time, so that I don't have to record without being able to hear the amped tone. Would this affect the setup?
    Still guitar -> kemper -> spdif to interface -> computer.

And finally, if I want to play with headphones on through the Kemper, I just plug into the Kemper and stick headphones on. But what if I want to play along to a song? Would I hook up the Kemper via SPDIF and plug the guitar and headphones into the interface instead of the Kemper?
    Still the setup above, but with headphones plugged into interface.

Any help appreciated!

Which interface do you have?

• Welcome to the forum!

1) You need SPDIF Cables with RCA heads - set your interface to 44.1KHz (Kemper S/PDIF OUT -> Interface S/PDIF IN and Kemper S/PDIF IN -> Interface S/PDIF OUT)

[Blocked Image: http://s3.showmecables.com/images/catalog/product/RCA-Audio-Patch-Cable-Male-To-Male-1.jpg]
    2) This is the path go: Guitar > Kemper > SPDIF to interface > computer.

3) If you want to play along the backing track then you have to plug your headphones to interface.

• Cheers for the reply.

The interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 which I bought recently to replace my Presonus Audiobox I have used for the past 6 years or so.

I have had a quick look on Amazon and eBay and I can't seem to find any SPDIFs that look like that. Most of them seem to have the middle prong but not the outer parts.

http://www.amazon.com/KabelDir…sr=8-7&keywords=rca+cable

[Blocked Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81SFK5q-8dL._SL1500_.jpg]

• It might make a difference depending on the length used, IMHO. When clicks and pops start to creep in you've surpassed the usable length for the quality of the cable. If you require more length at that point, you'll have to go higher quality (better shielding's being the most critical factor here IMHO).

The thing to realise is that unless you hear clicks or pops, the digital data is arriving intact at its destination.

Don't underestimate the quality of the sound coming from the Kemper's analogue outs, by the way; I'll not be using the digital interfacing at all, and I intend to re-amp too.

• I wished the Kemper would change Sample Rates, instead of being locked to 44.1KHz. I like to record at 96KHz :-(. For now, I'll be recording with the Helix via USB and reamping to the Kemper afterwards.

• I wished the Kemper would change Sample Rates, instead of being locked to 44.1KHz. I like to record at 96KHz :-(.

I'm in the same situation, I get the best performance and latency values with 96KHz and my interface.

Don't underestimate the quality of the sound coming from the Kemper's analogue outs, by the way; I'll not be using the digital interfacing at all, and I intend to re-amp too.

Will you be using XLR or TS for reamping? At what sample rate?

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Just try it and see for yourself :-).

EDIT: To add this link

https://www.reddit.com/r/audio…hz_has_less_latency_than/

Of course - thanks. So that means basically that your lowest buffer size will result in lower latency - whereas if you normally have a buffer size of 512 kB at 44.1 kHz, you'll get the same latency at a buffer size of 1024 kB when doing 88.2 kHz. But the effect on clicks and pops would be the same for both these cases, as I understand?

If this is correct it follows that the "lower latency at higher sample rates" is only really a benefit if you are at the lowest buffer setting "already", correct?