Show your latest guitar

• I don't know what plating you are referring to?

These are brand new from the package strings. The high E is missing plating and is rusting. When you slide your fingers across these spots it will rip meat off your finger. I have never seen this until the last couple years.

- From this phenomena, I assume strings are steel and plated with nickel. In these cheap strings the plating is not working for some reason.

- I am also assuming as you play, you are wearing off the nickel plating and eventually rubbing raw rusty steel on your soft frets.

I dont know for sure yet. I am just starting to look into this so I can save my $55 guitars frets :D

When I used to play cheap guitars I would change them when I noticed they were bent from touching the frets and would not stay in tune. And I had no fret issues back then ;(

• Frets wear out, I get another one for $55. Beats the $750 + shipping($200+) to get a guitar refretted. And there is no guarantee it comes back good. So then I have to ship it back and forth again to get fixed???

Why do you worry about fret wear? To me it sounds like okey I bought this bmw but if I drive it the the tires and motor will wear out eventually so I better not drive it. Instead I bought a east german trabant and use it and have the bmw parked. Come on! A guitar is meant to be used and abused and the frets will wear out.That's the whole point with a guitar and as true as one day you are too old to play and will die. :) T

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• That's the whole point with a guitar and as true as one day you are too old to play and will die. :) T

The Les Paul is the only guitar I never play. It was not really purchased to play, just to have. So the analogy is more like why take the Porsche out to get mulch for the yard? The LP is just for date night ;)

• To me it sounds like okey I bought this bmw but if I drive it the the tires and motor will wear out eventually so I better not drive it.

Example:

BMW costs $80k.

TIRES cost $100 each (400 total).

AMERICAN STRAT costs $1600.

FRET JOB costs $1000.

So tires would need to cost $50k to be comparable :D But I totally agree with your sentiment. That is why I am thinking Tim Henson Ibanez.

• Stainless Steel fret job (the most expensive variant) cost 250$...not 1000$

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• 3 different builders (one of them is Gary Levinson) here in Switzerland...not really the cheapest country....

Interesting. I work for a Swiss company and will be in Switzerland in May and June. What area do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'll be in Neuchatel and Lausanne. I often take a guitar with me. Maybe I should get it refretted while I'm there.

• ??? If those are the prices in US, now I understand why new guitars went so much up!

Just had double check again: with normal frets is 160$, SS on maple or rosewood is 250-280$, SS on Ebony or composites is 400$

• Interesting. I work for a Swiss company and will be in Switzerland in May and June. What area do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'll be in Neuchatel and Lausanne. I often take a guitar with me. Maybe I should get it refretted while I'm there.

I'm near Basel. Get an appointment before, it takes a couple of days

• Interesting. I work for a Swiss company and will be in Switzerland in May and June. What area do you live, if you don't mind me asking. I'll be in Neuchatel and Lausanne. I often take a guitar with me. Maybe I should get it refretted while I'm there.

In Lausanne the best guy seems to be Piero Lo Piccolo https://guitare-lausanne.ch/

• Thank you for the info. I've been to Basel many times over the years. I sent a request for quote to do a SS refret. Those prices are about half what I would pay in my area so would be well worth it since I travel with a guitar anyway.

• I just looked at your link....49$ to install a strap button?? Seriously??

Sweetwater is a huge place. So the guitar will have to go thru receiving, inspection, etc before it even sees a tech. then they have to pay someone to pack it back up, etc. Not a good option at all. Just showed it since I would not trust a local person to do it.