Unwanted " phaser " effect when recording and producing the kemper through stereo SPDIF

• Hello there,

I am getting a quite annoying and unwanted " phaser " or " flanger " effect when playing two takes i just recorded. ;(
    Each take is using a simple Peavey 5150 patch whith " crunch " type disto (no efx / reverb / delay) and each take has been panned 50%L and 50R.

As recording through SPDIF gives me a stereo wave for each take, i was wondering if it could be the cause ?
    For example, In my mix at the same time i have the rythm guitars 100% L/R and lead guitars 50 % L/R. Could it be a problem to record in stereo 2 takes of a same riff or lead and pan these 2 stereo takes ? ?(
    Actualy, if iam not mistaken even if each take comes in stereo signal, both sides of the wave are identical.

Help needed please.
    Thanks in advance.

Edited once, last by J-War ().

• Are you sure ? They say " constant latency " is only to be used for REAMPING, as it sets the latency to the highest (slowest) value. Thus not being suitable for " live " recordings.

But i assume you tested it and it works just well for live recording as well ?

Thanks for the tips.

Edited once, last by J-War ().

• Well, I can't be certain nighlight's suggestion is related to the issue, but constant latency chooses the latency of the rig gifted with... the highest latency, not some very high latency out of the blue.
    IOW, if you are comfortable with laying that certain rig, you will experience no issues.
    This rig might as well not be in your collection, it's probably defined as a rig where all the highest-latency fx and all the filters are used, or something along this line.

Personally, I've never perceived latency, not even with the CLR. But a friend of mine who tried my Profiler clearly felt a difference when switching from his combo to a CLR.
    So it's also a matter of specific sensitivity I'd say.

• Well, I can't be certain nighlight's suggestion is related to the issue, but constant latency chooses the latency of the rig gifted with... the highest latency, not some very high latency out of the blue.
    IOW, if you are comfortable with laying that certain rig, you will experience no issues.
    This rig might as well not be in your collection, it's probably defined as a rig where all the highest-latency fx and all the filters are used, or something along this line.

Personally, I've never perceived latency, not even with the CLR. But a friend of mine who tried my Profiler clearly felt a difference when switching from his combo to a CLR.
    So it's also a matter of specific sensitivity I'd say.

Quote from http://www.wikpa.org/Latency :

" Although the default latency is variable, you can expect it to be
    around 3ms.
    Kemper decided to provide a hidden setting starting with firmware 1.6.0 public
    beta to make the latency a little higher but constant. This constant
    latency would be 4.9ms. "

wouldn't happen to have any buttons enabled by any chnace? look for X / MD / Delay / Reverb and disable.

Nope, everything's disabled

• Yep, as I said, you'll experience a latency higher than average. Not all the rigs have the same latency.
    Whether you perceive it or not is also a matter of individual sensitivity.

• I've been able to do multiple recordings of my guitar in a project with the Kemper, without any phasing or flanger issues, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Could you check the waveform of your recordings? Do they roughly coincide? Or is one track slightly shifted compared to the other? Could your interface be introducing some latency that is causing th le recording to sound like a flanger or phaser?
    one more thing? Are there any EQs or Fx enabled in your DAW? Might want to check those, especially if there are extreme settings.

• I realize my previous post wasn't clear at all :)

In fact, the constant latency helped reducing the phasing problem.
    We didn't perceive any noticeable latency while playing the guitare while constant latency was enabled !

Sorry for the confusion and many thanks to everyone for the valuable help. :thumbup: