Samplerate and Clock

• I'm not sure if it would ever be possible, but everytime i use Kemper with Cubase I have to change the samplerate to 44.1k on my Focusrite Mix Control and set clock to SPDIF, no big deal really, but if I could just leave everything at 48k and Internal clock things would be a bit quicker and easier.
    Loving the Kemper anyway though!!

• Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. I probably wasn't very clear.
    I know you can record via line at 48k, but I really meant via spdif/rca (for dry/wet recording and reamping).
    Mines a rack I just leave connected to the interface via spdif, do I have to change sample rates a lot. Cheers!

• Welcome!

Yeah, it has been requested before, but it doesn't seem like it is possible.

There are sample rate converters you can put in between the kemper and the soundcard, I think Behringer makes a cheap one. Several people here use it, I believe.

Many thanks! That sounds like it might be a good solution for me. Cheers!

• Welcome, Steve!

I realise you're hoping to continue to use SPDIF, but if you have any spare analogue ins, I'd just use them mate.

There is zero practical, real-world difference between the two IMHO; the Kemper's analogue outs are superb.

Thanks man. Yeah, I've got an Analogue out hooked up too. I really only need the SPDIFs for reamping, but for tracking the live takes the analogue is great.

• I really only need the SPDIFs for reamping

Are you sure, mate?

It'll be an all-analogue affair here, including for reamping, when I eventually am able to record. The pro studios have been doing this in the analogue domain for eons, and I'm not saying you're one of them, but so many folks seem to have an aversion to it, assuming that a digital connection will produce palpably-better-sounding results. I disagree, of course, and can honestly say I have not a care in the world about whether or not going analogue will be "good enough".

Believe me, I'm a stickler for details and sweatin' them OCD-style, but in this case, the additional noise that'll be induced will be so negligible it's irrelevant. Add to this the fact that gating and / or mix automation tends to get used in the mix context and I can safely say that the difference, if any, would amount to "so very near nought that it ain't worth a thought"... IMHO.

• Welcome, Steve!

I realise you're hoping to continue to use SPDIF, but if you have any spare analogue ins, I'd just use them mate.

There is zero practical, real-world difference between the two IMHO; the Kemper's analogue outs are superb.

I have to say, I found there to be quite a big difference between the SPDIF vs analog outs. There seemed to be a lot more top end when staying digital. And that's not me just trying to be your classic audiofile cynic, believe me. I would be perfectly happy just using the analog outs as then I'd be able to use my Apogee Quartet the whole time :(

• hehe, have you tried going through the SPDIF before? I think it tested for a difference by recording and directly comparing. It could have been a dodgy cable I suppose. I could record another clip if you're that worried mate, didn't mean to startle you!

• Find yourself a new or used Behringer SRC2496 AD/DA Converter and plug your KPA Spdif into it, then Take the SPdif out of the SRC 2496 and plug into your audio interface. From the front panel of the SRC, you can set any sample rate that you want. I record all my projects at 96k. I keep my KPA connected at 44.1k to my sound cards SPdif at 96k. All happens in real time. No detectable latency.

https://www.music-group.com/Ca…nterfaces/SRC2496/p/P0141

• hehe, have you tried going through the SPDIF before? I think it tested for a difference by recording and directly comparing. It could have been a dodgy cable I suppose. I could record another clip if you're that worried mate, didn't mean to startle you!

Ha! Yeah, I was not startled, brother, and thank you for your concern! LOL

Naa... my gut reaction was that there'd have been an explanation to be found in the signal path somewhere - lead/s, interface conversion quality etc. I didn't want to risk offending you by suggesting there could've been something in said chain that compromised the Kemper's analogue in / out sound.

I figured hey, if you're happy, who'm I to argue?

Oh, and no, I haven't tried the digital connection; I don't have any digital I/O in my setup - too many bad experiences going way back with clocking / clicks and pops etc. I figured I'd stick with HQ A/D conversion on interfaces instead and kiss clocking issues and the like goodbye.